Gibson Brands Forums

LP Pickups - 57 classic vs 498T or Seymour Duncan

GUIBH

Guys,

Im kind of disappointed with my LP Trad distortion sound on the bridge pick up. I think the 57 classic is not the best option for a hard rock sound using the bridge pick up. I used to have a SG Standard and the 498T was perfect for a heavy sound and Im thinking about switching my 57 for the 498T or a Seymour duncan (like slash uses) on the bridge. What do you think?

P.s. The 57 on the neck sounds great!

Guys,

Im kind of disappointed with my LP Trad distortion sound on the bridge pick up. I think the 57 classic is not the best option for a hard rock sound using the bridge pick up. I used to have a SG Standard and the 498T was perfect for a heavy sound and Im thinking about switching my 57 for the 498T or a Seymour duncan (like slash uses) on the bridge. What do you think?

P.s. The 57 on the neck sounds great!

I ran into the exact same thing with my Classic Custom... The 57 in the bridge just wasn't quite what I was looking for, however I loved the 57 in the neck. I opted for the 500T/496R combo and am very happy with the result. I was looking for something with high output, and these have it. I've since acquired a Bonamassa Studio and it sounds amazing... best of both worlds, in my opinion. Now I want another one with the 57's... I think I have a problem. Anyway, hope this provides at least a little insight... good luck.

Bryan

Strange! The 57s in both positions of my Classic Custom seemed to edgy! That's why I've changed the stock capacitors to PIO...then other people complaining it's not being heavy enough! :D Anyways, that's matter of taste of course! If You are looking for such tone, check out Bare Knuckles' Nailbomb. That's a very exciting pickup for metal! Cheers... Bence

The 498T are great, back off the vol a little and the sweeten up and because every one bad mouths them you can pick them up on ebay on the cheap.

+ 1 !

Have them in my es333 and would never change them.

I have a 95 studio with stock 490/498 and an 07 antique classic with 57/57plus ,, not only do the 57's have more bite they also has more balls , as in an obvious overall presence that stands out for the heavy tunes. the diff was also noticed by both my bass player and drummer without any comment on my end.

Archived