Gibson Brands Forums

1996-2012 Gibson J-45 pickups

hooper2

I've been looking at a few different used Gibson J-45's (a 1996 mahogany and a 2004 cherryburst) on eBay. I was wondering if there is any significant difference in the pick-up installed in these guitars versus a brand new j-45 (L.R. Baggs Element?).

Thanks!!! Any other opinions on these (mahogany sound a lot different?) would also be welcome!

I have 2005 J-45, which had an Fishman UST Pickup installed. I think Gibson changed from fishman to L.R. Baggs around the time they introduced the modern classic /True vintage lines. I think the 2004 should also have an fishman, don't know what they used in '96.

Any thoughts on the Fishman UST vs. LR Baggs Element? ...

Well, it's a bit like guitars -- no matter which you use, you have to learn how to get the best out of it. That said, your "untutored" playing style might be better suited to one or to the other. (Generally, Fishman seems to work better for me, while Baggs works better for my wife.) Plus, which you prefer may depend on your ears as well as your touch. The bottom line is neither product (or product line) is better for everyone than the other. Try 'em both and decide for yourself.

-- Bob R

hi hooper , i have a 2005 historic , fishman undersaddle , while if i had a choice i wouldve liked a soundhole control , but it's not exactly crucial . just use the PA volume . its sounds great . i'm well happy with every aspect of this guitar . best guitar i ever owned hands down . the guy i play with is a martin guy , fair enough . and he was wondering what i was thinking when i told him i was buying a j45 . now he loves a little jam on the gibsonwith it when we meet at gigs. he fell for it too . theyre just gorgeous things

good luck :-)

Archived