Gibson Brands Forums

Want to buy a new guitar.

GilmourFan

Hi all. I've been playing for 1 year and half. I have a crap guitar that cost me around 90 euros. I think I need a better guitar. I want to spend around 200-300 euros. I love to play mainly Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Foo Fighters, Shinedown, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc.

I already have a Fender Mustang I, which I think it's a good combo for my low skills :S

Can you give some sugestions?

Hi all. I've been playing for 1 year and half. I have a crap guitar that cost me around 90 euros. I think I need a better guitar. I want to spend around 200-300 euros. I love to play mainly Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Foo Fighters, Shinedown, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc.

I already have a Fender Mustang I, which I think it's a good combo for my low skills :S

Can you give some sugestions?

All the types of music you cite involve various differing guitars from strats to semi acoustics to Les Pauls. I believe that either of two choices would serve you well:

1. An SG- it has that Les Paul sustain and creaminess but a top end bite which could easily get closer to the brightness of single coil guitars. An Epiphone G400 would fit this bill but a used Gibson SG faded or one of their new melody makers would be an even better choice, IMO.

2. A superstrat i.e. a strat with a humbucker that is usually a coil tapped humbucker + two single coils and, often, has a locking trem. Such a guitar tends to cover all the bases. Brands like Kramer (in the Gibson family), LTD and Ibanez would be a good bet. Within your price range you'll get a reasonable guitar new but buying used will get you more quality for your money.

All the types of music you cite involve various differing guitars from strats to semi acoustics to Les Pauls. I believe that either of two choices would serve you well:

1. An SG- it has that Les Paul sustain and creaminess but a top end bite which could easily get closer to the brightness of single coil guitars. An Epiphone G400 would fit this bill but a used Gibson SG faded or one of their new melody makers would be an even better choice, IMO.

2. A superstrat i.e. a strat with a humbucker that is usually a coil tapped humbucker + two single coils and, often, has a locking trem. Such a guitar tends to cover all the bases. Brands like Kramer (in the Gibson family), LTD and Ibanez would be a good bet. Within your price range you'll get a reasonable guitar new but buying used will get you more quality for your money.

Thanks. a Epiphone G400 it's in my list of possible guitars. I shall look at those new melody makers and see if I can get a used Gibson.

My first guitar was a harmony strat.

But after a couple of years, I invested in an Epiphone G400 (SG)

They are around $350 new (right?), but there are some many around that you could pick one up used pretty easy.

It was a WORKHORSE. Easy to play, reliable. The only thing I didn't like was the plastic nut. I eventually put a Duncan SH-4 in the bridge to further improve it.

I recommend it completely.

Thanks. a Epiphone G400 it's in my list of possible guitars. I shall look at those new melody makers and see if I can get a used Gibson.

On what he said:

Sound advice. I've never played any of the entry level melody makers. There are strats with the HSS config made my fender that I'd recommend. I never had luck with squier, but im sure others would argue that.

I invested in an Epiphone G400 (SG)

They are around $350 new (right?), but there are some many around that you could pick one up used pretty easy.

It was a WORKHORSE. Easy to play, reliable. I recommend it completely.

+1. I have a few G400's (SG Std). Great value. Upgrade PU's and you'll have a first class tone (I get them used online).

I ended up trading mine in to a GC for next to nothing to bring down the price of a new amp.

I wish I hadn't sold it. I like the new faded G400s with the satin finish, but now I see that gibson is making a satin SG as well, so I will covet more towards the gibson model.

No problem.

Thomann.de are selling new SG, Flying V and Explorer Melody makers for EUR 389.

Another superb SG is the Epiphone Prophecy. If you don't mind its more "heavy metal" look it's a very well specced SG with a lovely ebony fretboard.

Edit: Another type of guitar you could consider which can cover a great range of bases is the Telecaster. In particular, the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster gets very good reviews:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_classic_vibe_tele_50s_bb.htm

For all of the different tones you would like to play, don't overlook the nighthawk.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_nighthawk_custom_reissue_tb.htm

Quite versatile and in your price range.

Those Nighthawks are quite versatile, I agree, but I like to play in the upper frets and my fingers are not so long(i'm just 14, so...), I'm also looking for a guitar that has a good acessibility to the upper frets. And I don't like the body of the Nighthawk....

What do you say about the Squier Classic Vibe Tele? Do they match the SG's?

I like to play in the upper frets and my fingers are not so long(i'm just 14, so...), I'm also looking for a guitar that has a good acessibility to the upper frets. And I don't like the body of the Nighthawk....

Well an SG is definitely the guitar for you. If you can wait a bit longer/stretch your budget to an Epi SG Prophecy or Gibson SG Melody Maker (or even Gibson SG Special Faded) you'll be getting one hell of a guitar for your money.

PS. Bolt neck Strats and Teles don't have great upper fret access and they are a longer scale (25.5") than an SG (24.75") which would make reaches slighlty more difficult. Being only 14, please also bear in mind that Gibsons and Epis and very fragile in the neck/headstock area. If you know how to take care of your stuff then that's fine - you don't want to see the headstock snap off when your guitar keels over.

Well an SG is definitely the guitar for you. If you can wait a bit longer/stretch your budget to an Epi SG Prophecy or Gibson SG Melody Maker (or even Gibson SG Special Faded) you'll be getting one hell of a guitar for your money.

PS. Bolt neck Strats and Teles don't have great upper fret access and they are a longer scale (25.5") than an SG (24.75") which would make reaches slighlty more difficult. Being only 14, please also bear in mind that Gibsons and Epis and very fragile in the neck/headstock area. If you know how to take care of your stuff then that's fine - you don't want to see the headstock snap off when your guitar keels over.

Thanks! I play guitar at home only. I usually take one to school to have some guitar lessons with my musical theacher. I put it in a place safe from thefts and falls :)

I'm getting the idea that the SG is the guitar perfect for me in terms of acessibility to the upper frets, but what about the sound? David Gilmour doesn't use SG's and I play a lot of Pink Floyd. What can you say about this?

Thanks! I play guitar at home only. I usually take one to school to have some guitar lessons with my musical theacher. I put it in a place safe from thefts and falls :)

I'm getting the idea that the SG is the guitar perfect for me in terms of acessibility to the upper frets, but what about the sound? David Gilmour doesn't use SG's and I play a lot of Pink Floyd. What can you say about this?

Well, Gilmour is known for his Strats but he has played other guitars. Most of his sound comes from the effects he uses, the scales he plays and the way he controls his vibrato. The SG has a brighter tone than, say, a Les Paul so I'm sure you'd be fine........unless, of course, you want to look like Gilmour!

I have an SG Prophecy and am not overly impressed by it, seeing how much more they cost than G-400's. You're better off buying a used G-400 in good condition and upgrading the PU's yourself. The cheaper models of Gibsons (Fadeds, Specials, etc) can be hit or miss; they're not using the same woods as the models that cost twice as much, and the workmanship isn't as reliable. You're paying for the Gibson name, but not getting the same quality as the Standard models, or else they couldn't sell them that cheap. When something sells for $500 less, it's not just the finish that's different. The biggest difference in a good Epi vs a bottom-of-the-line Gibson is mainly in the PU's.

Well, Gilmour is known for his Strats but he has played other guitars. Most of his sound comes from the effects he uses, the scales he plays and the way he controls his vibrato. The SG has a brighter tone than, say, a Les Paul so I'm sure you'd be fine........unless, of course, you want to look like Gilmour!

Well, I dont have a band, I only play in concerts with my friends from the guitar lessons and in those concerts I use guitars from the school, I think it is a Squier Bullet Strat... But getting into the topic, what I wanted to say with this is that I dont need to look like Gilmour, because I don't play Gilmour in concerts. Just want to sound a bit more like him. I'm totally addicted to the Comfortably Numb 2nd solo. I'm glad that I know how to play the basic of the solo, not so good as it should be :P

I can say that it gave me a lot of work and time to get a sound similar to the original solo on my Fender Mustang amp. My problem playing this solo is that sometimes, in the "louder" part of the solo, that he plays in the 22nd fret and around that, I miss the pull-offs that he does because my fingers are small. If a SG can get a good sound similar to Gilmour's, it is the perfect combination.

I have an SG Prophecy and am not overly impressed by it, seeing how much more they cost than G-400's. You're better off buying a used G-400 in good condition and upgrading the PU's yourself. The cheaper models of Gibsons (Fadeds, Specials, etc) can be hit or miss; they're not using the same woods as the models that cost twice as much, and the workmanship isn't as reliable. You're paying for the Gibson name, but not getting the same quality as the Standard models, or else they couldn't sell them that cheap. When something sells for $500 less, it's not just the finish that's different. The biggest difference in a good Epi vs a bottom-of-the-line Gibson is mainly in the PU's.

Epis are incredible guitars for the money but I do disagree with your assessment of cheaper Gibsons. Most of the additional cost of the more expensive Gibsons is due to the lacquering process (7 or more extra coats) but the woods and workmanship are just as good.....unless you go for a Custom shop model. There have certainly been inconsistency across all Gibson production models so maybe that's what you mean.

What I like about the Epi Prophecy is the ebony fretboard which gives it a lovely feel for fast runs and/or solos. They are a high end Epi because they also have top quality hardware and pickups. In my experience of upgrading Epis in the past it does cost you more in the long run than buying the pre-upgraded Epi to start with. That's fine if you want a very particular specification or if you enjoy tweaking, of course.

I guess we'll have to agree to differ. [smile]

something that's worth considering. while epi's are very good value for money...I was very impressed by a BC Rich guitar that one of my students got for Christmas just past.

It is a Warlock revenge and only cost around £185 (232 euro) It has a fast slim neck with 24 frets, excellent upper fret access (much better than strat, tele, LP, or SG) and was surprisingly versatile given its rather metal appearance

RWGW%20warlock_revenge_wht.jpg

even though I don't like the styling I was very tempted to get one anyway just cause it is a great guitar for the money.

Watch for a Les Paul Melody Maker from 2003 to about 2007-they have a tune-o-matic bridge with a stop tailpiece for better intonation and a soapbar P-90 which responds nicely to the dynamics of your playing. I have a 2004 L.P. Melody Maker and it is amazing for a single pickup guitar-play it easy and it's chimey, play it hard and it screams!

Here is my Melody Maker-

2004MelodyMaker-crop.jpg

something that's worth considering. while epi's are very good value for money...I was very impressed by a BC Rich guitar that one of my students got for Christmas just past.

It is a Warlock revenge and only cost around £185 (232 euro) It has a fast slim neck with 24 frets, excellent upper fret access (much better than strat, tele, LP, or SG) and was surprisingly versatile given its rather metal appearance

RWGW%20warlock_revenge_wht.jpg

even though I don't like the styling I was very tempted to get one anyway just cause it is a great guitar for the money.

Thanks but it doesnt really fit my type of guitar body. I hate Flying V's, Warlock's and Explorer's. Dont ask me why, but I dont like them.

Watch for a Les Paul Melody Maker from 2003 to about 2007-they have a tune-o-matic bridge with a stop tailpiece for better intonation and a soapbar P-90 which responds nicely to the dynamics of your playing. I have a 2004 L.P. Melody Maker and it is amazing for a single pickup guitar-play it easy and it's chimey, play it hard and it screams!

Here is my Melody Maker-

2004MelodyMaker-crop.jpg

Thanks, but as I said, I want a guitar that has good acessibility to the upper frets. I haven't tested many Les Paul's, but I heard that they don't have a good acessibilty to those upper frets.

Archived