Gibson Brands Forums

Want to buy a new guitar.

GilmourFan

The Epi G-400 Custom may be a suitable guitar for you,as with 3 HB pups it has a very wide tonal range.The gutar has an SG body but is classed as a Les Paul and with its antique white finish and gold plating it really looks rich.

The Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro is probably the most versatile Epi made because with it's coil tapping on both humbuckers you can go from H.B. to single coil by just pushing or pulling a volume control.In the humbucker function it sounds just like a PAF Les Paul and in single coil mode it sounds like a cross between a Mustang and Jaguar.AS far as I know,it now comes in burgundy,black and a beautiful sunburst.

Fender has some great low cost MIM and MIC and MIK guitars as well as very good low cost Squiers that have become increasingly good in sound and quality in the past few years-even when he had made it big Jeff Healy insisted on playing nothing but Squiers until the time of his death.Although I'm not fond of HSS Strats,they are very versatile for people who like to kick in a humbucker when playing a lead break or don't like bringing 2 guitars to a gig.These guitars are especially versatile if they have a coil tap function.

Anyway that's a few guitars for you to consider and all are great quality and very versatile.

You are all recommending guitars that are way beyond the price range the OP designated. Without wanting to insult anyone, you're probably clueless about European prices. Prophecies, Customs... those guitars cost about twice as much, if not more, than the originally mentioned budget. It feels like none of you even bothered to check...

The (Epi) guitars within the 200-300 euro price range are:

the standard G-400

the LP-Studios and LP-Standards

The Dot

And NOT the Trad Pro, the Custom G-400, or the new Prophecies, the cheapest of which starts at 70e+ from the maximum of the budget. This isn't the American market, don't just translate euros into dollars and start recommending. We pay WAY more for guitars than you do, as with everything else. And that is using Thomann.de, which is the cheapest by far of any store.

You are all recommending guitars that are way beyond the price range the OP designated. Without wanting to insult anyone, you're probably clueless about European prices. Prophecies, Customs... those guitars cost about twice as much, if not more, than the originally mentioned budget. It feels like none of you even bothered to check...

the standard G-400

The Dot

And NOT the Trad Pro, the Custom G-400, or the new Prophecies, the cheapest of which starts at 70e+ from the maximum of the budget. This isn't the American market, don't just translate euros into dollars and start recommending. We pay WAY more for guitars than you do, as with everything else. And that is using Thomann.de, which is the cheapest by far of any store.

Hi Aethyr

It was me that brought these guitars up but if you read the whole thread you'll see that I started with the G400 or a budget superstrat but also suggested going for a used Gibson SG faded or a melody maker. I also later suggested the lower end Gibson or Epi Prophecy if he could stretch his budget and/or wait a bit longer.

IMO (and it is just my opinion), it's always good advice to buy the best you can afford even if that means waiting a bit longer. It seems the OP is receptive to the suggestions too.

For anything you buy in life it's definitely always worth having a look at the next level up to see what you get by comparison. I don't think anybody is advocating going out and buying a custom shop, top-of-the-range Gibson here.

PS. If it helps, all my recommendations were based on Thomann.de prices and it's also notable that other stores will price match them (if you look for them.)

Best Wishes

Hi, I have 2 Strats and an Epiphone G-400.

One thing I have found and personally dislike about the G-400 is how far you have to reach

to get to the first few frets (as in towards the nut/headstock).

On a Strat, the curve of the body where it sits against your waist is closer to the neck than on an SG.

This results in bringing the neck in about 3-5 inches closer to you.

I am sitting on my bed with the SG and a Strat. When I made an F bar chord on my Strat and then sitting perfectly still, replaced it with the SG, the same reach was only an A on the SG.

As you can see that's a pretty big difference.

I like my G-400, its a good guitar, but I do not like the way I have to reach so far out to play it. I like the way my Strat is nice and compact and compact.

I saw you said that you are young and not very big, and thought this might be helpful to know.

I would suggest going to a guitar shop and playing an SG and a Strat or Les Paul or whatever you want before making a decision. Good Luck!

John

One thing I have found and personally dislike about the G-400 is how far you have to reach

to get to the first few frets (as in towards the nut/headstock).

I like my G-400, its a good guitar, but I do not like the way I have to reach so far out to play it. I like the way my Strat is nice and compact and compact.

I saw you said that you are young and not very big, and thought this might be helpful to know.

I would suggest going to a guitar shop and playing an SG and a Strat or Les Paul or whatever you want before making a decision. Good Luck!

John

Angus Young is 5'3" and has no problem playing SG's, long neck and all. If he can reach all the frets, anyone can.

the standard G-400

The Dot

Three excellent choices. Can't go wrong with any of them (I have all four). The SG (G-400) will be the lowest priced of these. LP's are heavier and have a warmer tone with more low end. SG's are thin and have more mids and high end. 335's have a good amount of mids and low end, and also have rich acoustic overtones from the semihollow body. Clapton used all three designs in his Cream years, and they sounded fuller and 'heavier' than the Strats he he switched to ('Crossroads' vs 'Lay Down Sally').

Angus Young is 5'3" and has no problem playing SG's, long neck and all. If he can reach all the frets, anyone can.

when sitting down the SG neck is a longer reach to the nut than a strat or an LP because of the ergonomics of the guitar body.... but rock stars don't sit very often when there on stage lol ...I never sit to play either, unless I'm with a student. ...

in fact, whenever I play My G400 I am usually leaping about like an eejit pretending to be Angus. toddingram_bass_solo.gif

If you're going to play open chords all day then a 9.5" radius fretboard Fender style guitar will do just fine. If you want to get up the neck and solo (which the OP does) then a 12" radius fretboard SG is the right tool for the job, especially if you have smaller sized hands.

Archived