Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON SG 70'S TRIBUTE

Voodoo Monkey

I JUST GOT THIS NEW GUITAR TODAY AND IT IS AWESOME! IT HAVE THE MAPLE BAKED BOARD WHICH IS DARKER THAN ANY ROSEWOOD I HAVE AND ALSO HAS A MAPLE NECK WITH A MAHOGANY BODY. THE MAPLE NECK FEELS WONDERFUL TO PLAY. I KNOW THESE ARE NEW AND THERE IS NO INFORMATION HARDLY AROUND SO I FIGURED I WOULD POST A COUPLE VIDEOS I DID WHEN I GOT IT TODAY. THIS IS A GREAT GUITAR, I LOVE IT. [love]

THIS ONE IS GOING THROUGH A FENDER DELUXE III'S GAIN CHANNEL WITH THE GAIN ON ABOUT NOON AND SOME DELAY.

THIS ONE IS GOING THROUGH THE CLEAN CHANNEL USING AN XOTIC BB PREAMP FOR SOME LOW GAIN AND AN EP BOOSTER WITH SOME DELAY.

WOW thats quick off the mark.. id imagine we will have to wait a while for them in the UK..

Sounds cracking though. I had always heard that mini humbuckers were a bit thin sounding.. But thats sounds great. And great playing as always. Rock on man [thumbup] [thumbup]

WOW thats quick off the mark.. id imagine we will have to wait a while for them in the UK..

Sounds cracking though. I had always heard that mini humbuckers were a bit thin sounding.. But thats sounds great. And great playing as always. Rock on man [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks Rabs. One of the video I'm straight into my amp and it sounds great. I have the gain on the fender amp at noon and the guitar just rocks. The neck is really comfortable for me to play also. I always heard the mini humbuckers can sound thin but these are great. I am not using much gain so maybe if I used a lot of gain that might change. Gibson redesigned these minis, they are new so maybe that's it. I just love this guitar.

Thanks for posting. I am new to the Sg, and am looking for people that play blues with it. Mostly I find the metal heads and thrashers. Which I guess is a good sign that its a versatile guitar. Can you give me some insight as to the difference between this 70's version, and the sg 61 reissue?

Great videos!

Thanks for posting. I am new to the Sg, and am looking for people that play blues with it. Mostly I find the metal heads and thrashers. Which I guess is a good sign that its a versatile guitar. Can you give me some insight as to the difference between this 70's version, and the sg 61 reissue?

Great videos!

Thanks Freddy. The big difference is about $1200. The SG Standards are $1200 new. A 61 reissue is $2000. The 70's tribute is $850. The 61 is close to a standard but has the small pick guard and 57 classics for pick ups. The standard has the large pick guard and has 490 and 498 pups in it. They may have different profile necks too.

The 70's tribute has newly designed mini humbuckers in it. It has a matte finish where the other two are shiny nitro finishes. The 70's also does not have the mother of pearl inlay work that a standard or 61 has. The 70's version does not come with a case like the others which brings the cost down. I don't like the gig bag so I bought a case for it anyway. Another difference is the 70's has a maple set in neck to a mahogany body and has the baked maple neck.

I think I covered it all but may have missed something. IMHO $850 for a nice American made guitar that sounds as good as this is a great deal.

Chris

Archived