Gibson Brands Forums

Remove sound hole label

DonCarlos

Hello all

I am going to repair a crack on the back of my masterbilt, and it runs behind the sound hole label. I really did not want to fiddle with the label and wanted to keep it in tact, but the repair will require a few cleats and it will have to be removed.

I only saw one thing on the net about heating a dry towel in a microwave to reheat the glue and carefully remove it. It may work, but I am soliciting any other ideas before I start in on it. I want to preserve the label as much as possible to reattach it.

Thanks

Disregard. I got some feedback from the gibson forum folks and AGF.

If you run into this same issue, you can google there for some of the input I received, or write directly to Epiphone/Gibson Service department as I did, and I ultimately did ask for removal advice and a label replacement.

I will update this thread on what ultimately was determined as a resolution, and post it as a followup to help others seeking an answer(s).

Best regards. Have safe Memorial Weekend-

• 2 weeks later...

Disregard. I got some feedback from the gibson forum folks and AGF.

If you run into this same issue, you can google there for some of the input I received, or write directly to Epiphone/Gibson Service department as I did, and I ultimately did ask for removal advice and a label replacement.

I will update this thread on what ultimately was determined as a resolution, and post it as a followup to help others seeking an answer(s).

Best regards. Have safe Memorial Weekend-

Did they send you a new label?

• 1 month later...

Did they send you a new label?

Nope. They do not do that.

Gibson advised they do not send out new labels. I communicated with them by email and by phone.

But, I was able to make the repair on the back of the guitar, without removing the label as I had originally thought I would have to.

If it were me, and it ain't, I'd leave the label alone. Removing it and re-installing it could get messy and end up looking like an aftermarket label.

The labels aren't that big, just cleat on either side of it. Besides, you wouldn't put a cleat under the label, would you? You may end up with a little wrinkle where you pull the two halves of the wood back together, but that may look better than a dog-eared, half torn label.

At a maximum, I'd detach only one half of the label, then reattach when the crack is repaired.

Good luck, on whatever you decided to do.

I would just apply pressure to the label, causing the crack behind it to open up on the back side of the guitar, then rub some glue into the crack, release pressure to the label and put a weight on the rear of the guitar with it laying face down until dry. Simple. And the label will be un-molested ;)

As I said a couple posts ago......

But, I was able to make the repair on the back of the guitar, without removing the label as I had originally thought I would have to.

But thanks for all the suggestions, I know it will help with others when this issue comes up, I used quite a few cleats since the crack was the length of the back, and after over humidifying the guitar and closing the crack almost shut, the cleats on either side of the label held just fine.

Thanks again

Archived