Gibson Brands Forums

The Bird's first outing..

EuroAussie

Had the Infinity Matrix pickup installed this week and last night was time for the Bird' to fly out of the nest for the first time at our new regular gig.

Have to say overall I was very happy with the tone I got with the new HB TV. Compared to the SJ wich is my main giging guitar the Bird' has a fuller sound, and strumming, full chords and arpeggios it sounds great. The tone 'splashes' more and sounds big and full through the amp. The SJ on the other hand is more focues and midrangey, thats not a bad thing also, just different.

For some of the strummy poppy stuff with apreggios and the like in particular the softness of the Bird really shines through, and it doesnt scrub up badly also with the more country, rockier stuff too.

Interestingly, unlike any of my other guitars the folks in the audience recongnised the Bird and asked about it. Even if youre not a muso this guitar has such a pretty look and is an absolute pop icon.

So, overall very good first try out and it will definitely be alternating with the SJ for gigging supremacy.

Here's a couple clips from the gig. Best viewd at 720p (HD)

First one, my singers choice (he likes the girlie poppy stuff that I often dread but up with), but shows how well the Bird' works on the arpeggio picking and strumming.

And here's a bit of dirty country in dropped D (thats my choice) where I think the Bird also scrubs up well.

So, two weeks after the purchase very happy with the decisioni to keep the Bird and growing old with her !

btw: as per usual I screwed up the lighting settings on the unit, so hard to see the Bridie flying ..

Mark,

The bird sounds very........"bird-like". Really great accompaning instrument here.

I'm curious about your stage setup, since this appears to be a location where you gig a lot. Do you have a raised stage, or are you at floor level? Do you have any stage lighting, or are you just working with the room's ambient light?

These may seem like trivial questions, but since it's the kind of stuff I used to do, I'm curious.

Cheers Nick. At this place we play at normal floor level, but have the amp raised on a bench. There is just ambient house lighting in this case. My set up is like this: Bird - Fishman Innfinity - Aura Sepectrum DI - Zoom G3 effects unit (used very occasionally) - Marshall AS100D, which is the best acoustic amp Ive come across, amazing warmth. No PA used this time, all vocals, git direct through the amp.

Trust that helps !

Mark,

The bird sounds very........"bird-like". Really great accompaning instrument here.

I'm curious about your stage setup, since this appears to be a location where you gig a lot. Do you have a raised stage, or are you at floor level? Do you ahve any stage lighting, or are you just working with the room's ambient light?

These may seem like trivial questions, but since it's the kind of stuff I used to do, I'm curious.

Thanks guys, glad she sounded good to you also.

Have to say that I was pretty happy with the tone of the Bird' from the first track. With the SJ and J-150 I usually need to fiddle with the knobs for a few tracks to dial in the tone Im looking for, but with the Bird it was all there from the first track. I guess the fullness just sort of flyes out and there is little adjustments that need to be made.

And as odd as it souns, the older the strings get, the better she sounds,totally the opposite of my other Gibsons... go figure.

Ha, ha .. Ill give them the Bird' alright Mr Picker, as long as they give it back after !

Thanks for watching Larry, cheers.

Sweet sounds from "the bird." There's a kind of "dust in the wind" loneliness to the tone. I like that. Don't worry about the lighting. "The bird" is perfect enough. And if someone makes disparaging comments about Gibsons, just give them "the bird." [thumbup]

And as odd as it souns, the older the strings get, the better she sounds,totally the opposite of my other Gibsons... go figure.

I too find that on this guitar ( HB TV ) the older the strings get the better they sound. This is the first guitar I have ever noticed this effect on. I use JP PB's ( Lights ), at first they are like any other string 'too new' , then they sound a bit dead around day 3 -4 but after that ......wow, they just keep gettin' better... the last set I swapped out after almost 3 months and I play at least 1-2 hours a day, sometimes more.

Your 'bird sound great, glad you are happy with it.

Cheers

Bobby

Thats interesting what you say about the JP's Bobby. I recall i really liked the tone but felt they went rather flat quickly, but maybe they were going through that middle patch that you describe. When i put in my next order to strings & beyond ill also include a couple packets of JP PB's.

Thanks for your comments.

I too find that on this guitar ( HB TV ) the older the strings get the better they sound. This is the first guitar I have ever noticed this effect on. I use JP PB's ( Lights ), at first they are like any other string 'too new' , then they sound a bit dead around day 3 -4 but after that ......wow, they just keep gettin' better... the last set I swapped out after almost 3 months and I play at least 1-2 hours a day, sometimes more.

Your 'bird sound great, glad you are happy with it.

Cheers

Bobby

Thats interesting what you say about the JP's Bobby. I recall i really liked the tone but felt they went rather flat quickly, but maybe they were going through that middle patch that you describe. When i put in my next order to strings & beyond ill also include a couple packets of JP PB's.

Thanks for your comments.

Just an observation, but what I notice is.... after say 3-4 days I'll be playin' and notice my fingers get black while playing (oxidation)on the strings. I still wipe 'em down after playin , but they still get oxi buildup.

However, after that initial 'black' phase and a good wipe down, I get almost no black build up at all, the strings just seem to come alive after that. Almost like they need to cycle through that oxi/ process to 'settle in'.......methinks. :P

Cheers Nick. At this place we play at normal floor level, but have the amp raised on a bench. There is just ambient house lighting in this case. My set up is like this: Bird - Fishman Innfinity - Aura Sepectrum DI - Zoom G3 effects unit (used very occasionally) - Marshall AS100D, which is the best acoustic amp Ive come across, amazing warmth. No PA used this time, all vocals, git direct through the amp.

Trust that helps !

Sounds good, EA!

Seeing as you and I appear to be the only people in the world that use the Fishman Spectrum, I would like to know which 'image' you are using. I am about to re-hash my Spectrum unit after I bought a new laptop - I was having trouble making sense of the Fishman Spectrum site before and was not sure if all the specific ones I downloaded actually worked or if I was using the pre-installed ones. The site kept crashing at the time and as I was really happy with the range of sounds I was getting I kind of gave up on the service....I did send a few emails to Fishman because they did not have a Gibson Blues King in the list - they suggested using the image for the Gibson LG-0. Sounds great with all my LG's, but not exact and in real life these guitars are nothing alike! The images for my J45 are great and I also got a great sound for my Gibson 12 string and my Dobro resonator. But some of the others are a mystery.

Do you have a printable list around of all their images to choose from? I will try again later on, but getting info off the Fishman site was a bit like extracting money from my boss.

BluesKing777.

Trust that helps !

Sounds good, EA!

Seeing as you and I appear to be the only people in the world that use the Fishman Spectrum, I would like to know which 'image' you are using. I am about to re-hash my Spectrum unit after I bought a new laptop - I was having trouble making sense of the Fishman Spectrum site before and was not sure if all the specific ones I downloaded actually worked or if I was using the pre-installed ones. The site kept crashing at the time and as I was really happy with the range of sounds I was getting I kind of gave up on the service....I did send a few emails to Fishman because they did not have a Gibson Blues King in the list - they suggested using the image for the Gibson LG-0. Sounds great with all my LG's, but not exact and in real life these guitars are nothing alike! The images for my J45 are great and I also got a great sound for my Gibson 12 string and my Dobro resonator. But some of the others are a mystery.

Do you have a printable list around of all their images to choose from? I will try again later on, but getting info off the Fishman site was a bit like extracting money from my boss.

BluesKing777.

Update:

Don't worry, EA, I opened and downloaded the Aura image gallery in minutes on my new Mac, and I see nothing has changed in the list of guitars. The Hummer is already there! You are lucky. For the smaller body Gibsons, they have the Robert Johnson and the LG0 images, but I may try the J50...It doesn't matter - they sound really, really great anyway....

Fishman did promise to update the images all the time, but I guess that was a politician's maybe perhaps type of promise, because the list does not look any different.

BluesKing777.

BK - I didnt 'update' the images as there seemed to be three Hummingibird images already which I put into the device. However, I didnt like any of them, they all provided an image that made teh tone sound thin and brittle. So i tried the preset 'dreadnough' images and found one there that I liked a lot, and that became the one.

You have to experiment and improvise a bit with the imaage choices. For example there are no Furch samples but I found an OM 18v sample which was on the money and use that on the Furch.

Great little device however, probably my most important part in my live set up.

cheers !

Update:

Don't worry, EA, I opened and downloaded the Aura image gallery in minutes on my new Mac, and I see nothing has changed in the list of guitars. The Hummer is already there! You are lucky. For the smaller body Gibsons, they have the Robert Johnson and the LG0 images, but I may try the J50...It doesn't matter - they sound really, really great anyway....

Fishman did promise to update the images all the time, but I guess that was a politician's maybe perhaps type of promise, because the list does not look any different.

BluesKing777.

BK - I didnt 'update' the images as there seemed to be three Hummingibird images already which I put into the device. However, I didnt like any of them, they all provided an image that made teh tone sound thin and brittle. So i tried the preset 'dreadnough' images and found one there that I liked a lot, and that became the one.

You have to experiment and improvise a bit with the imaage choices. For example there are no Furch samples but I found an OM 18v sample which was on the money and use that on the Furch.

Great little device however, probably my most important part in my live set up.

cheers !

I had the dreadnought only model to begin with - for a couple of Martins I played - and I was extremely happy with the sound.

I then noticed that the smaller body 000-15 Martin also sounded good with a touch of Fish.

I bought the Spectrum cos I wanted to experiment with all types of guitars.

BluesKing777.

I bought the Spectrum cos I wanted to experiment with all types of guitars.

BluesKing777.

Exacttly, that was one of my key motivations before purchasing this unit, that i can apply it to a number of guitars.

Here's one final one for good measure, this time with some picking up the neck and also a bit of use of chorus for the intro and ending picking melody.

Its our stock standard that we always play, as I really dig it and am a complete sucker for these honky tonk country rock ballad type thingie tracks ... Im threatening my singer nexst will be Every Rose Has Its Thorn ... :rolleyes:

Must say I was really, really happy with the tone on this one.

Ha .... Im often off key with the waaaanted bit, but somehow I closed my eyes and got it right that evening !

Loving the Bird btw now, so glad I didnt sent her back, that would be the mistake of the decade..

quote name='E-minor7' timestamp='1338218313' post='1205041']

Good to hear the Bird live – suits the act really good.

And those half screaming vox-attacks in Dead or Alive EA, , , sounds goddamn right.

Archived