Gibson Brands Forums

Love this tone, How do i get it?

FenderGuy1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2qIDhdLMHg I love you jimi for the tones you produced, I WANT THIS TONE!, Or i could just make up my own....

Well here's part of the story:

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-roger-mayer-secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup

http://www.musicplayer.com/article/the-gear-jimi/Mar-05/4046

Or i could just make up my own....

Young man, THIS may be the most intelligent thing you've ever posted here. [thumbup]

I understand chasing Hendrix's sound, most of us love it. And scores of guys have tried to emulate him right down to using the same strings , cords etc. But while it was partially inspired by the equipment, it was also forged in the years of experience he had before. Everything he was and became, came from everything he lived before that moment. And so much of his sound came just from him being him (Roger Mayer said it best, most of his sound came from his fingers).

People can emulate him (or any other icon), but no one will ever BE him. So anyone copying him is just that, a copy cat covering Hendrix. As an amateur, for fun musician such as myself, not a bad aspiration. But if you think you want a career in music (you might or might not), the key will be to add what you can from your influences and play like Nathan. Develop your own style that others will want to emulate.

Young man, THIS may be the most intelligent thing you've ever posted here. [thumbup]

I understand chasing Hendrix's sound, most of us love it. And scores of guys have tried to emulate him right down to using the same strings , cords etc. But while it was partially inspired by the equipment, it was also forged in the years of experience he had before. Everything he was and became, came from everything he lived before that moment. And so much of his sound came just from him being him (Roger Mayer said it best, most of his sound came from his fingers).

People can emulate him (or any other icon), but no one will ever BE him. So anyone copying him is just that, a copy cat covering Hendrix. As an amateur, for fun musician such as myself, not a bad aspiration. But if you think you want a career in music (you might or might not), the key will be to add what you can from your influences and play like Nathan. Develop your own style that others will want to emulate.

Well said.....and besides ( and I know I will get flak for this but imma say it anyways)..if you really listen to hendrix live..you will see he makes allot of mistakes and bad notes but can hide them behind the high gain and fuzz.

Well said.....and besides ( and I know I will get flak for this but imma say it anyways)..if you really listen to hendrix live..you will see he makes allot of mistakes and bad notes but can hide them behind the high gain and fuzz.

High gain?

Fuzz yes, but you can't hide behind a Fuzz Face! (or a Tone Bender, or any of the other classics, and newer stuff from Fulltone, etc). Maybe a Muff, or even a Fuzz Factory (cause' of all the side effects!), but a Fuzz Face (well, a good one. Keep in mind everyone, that Jimi's Fuzz Faces were always being tweaked by Roger Mayer. I suggest one of his boxes for that vintage tone. Every boutique company, even Fulltone, copies the Tycobrahe Octavia, but Roger Mayer's was the original, man! And it looks 100% cooler! Coolest lookin' boxes IMHO! Sorry for straying off the topic.) is your volume control's best friend (not to mention your DYNAMICS and TOUCH!) and your sloppyness's worst nightmare! There was no high gain to speak of! Marshall Plexis are not high gain amps! I don't see any Rectal Fryers onstage with him! (sorry Mesa fans. I like to Boogie every now and then!)

Yes, he did make mistakes, mostly cause' of all the drugs he was taking. But you gotta remember, back in those days, blues and rock wasn't about technique like it is now. Only the jazzers, the chicken pickers, the classical/flamenco/mariachi style players, and Jeff Beck were technique freaks! It was about the soul, man! Eric Clapton, at least in live situations, is still a runaway train as a player (like Bill Ward as a drummer!). Hendrix was extra sloppy cause' of the drugs, and everything he did was so nuanced and out of this world! Like a roller coaster waitin' to cut loose!

There was no hiding back then, brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2qIDhdLMHg I love you jimi for the tones you produced, I WANT THIS TONE!, Or i could just make up my own....

Make up your own and run with it! You have a decent guitar and a nice Vox (and some pedals!), make something out of it!

Hendrix made it cause' he was genuine! As is anyone any of us admire. Eddie Van Halen included!

A lot of people (like you...) wanna be like Hendrix so they try and get the same gear he used. Not everyone realizes what Hendrix was all about.

I doubt he would have kept the same setup for long!

In the late 70s, I wouldn't be surprised to see him (if this was actually real!) playing a custom made guitar into a HiWatt with all the goodies of that often overlooked age: Cry Baby, MXR Distortion+, Big Muff, phasers (my guess for him would be a Maestro Phase Shifter!), A/DA or Electric Mistress Flanger, Roland CE-1, and the many types of delay units available, from the classic Echoplex and Roland Space Echo tape units, to the (then) new analog units from MXR, Yamaha, Loft, etc.

Yes, he could have been using stuff identical to what others were using. I am talking about Dave Gilmour and Alex Lifeson (everyone talks about Hendrix, Gilmour, the Edge, and Andy Summers, etc, when talking about use of effects. Why not Alex?)!

He could have became a progressive rocker, who knows.

So you're automatically being like Hendrix by being different and pursuing the technology around you!

He could have had the biggest rack system of the 80s, for crying out loud!

well i was gonna add a delay to the rig but i don't have one

If you're going to use delay, be sure to run it AFTER the distortion sound.

Which means, either after the distortion pedal if you're using one as your main distortion, or in the effects loop of the amp if the amp is overdriven.

Trust me, delay before distortion is NOT a pleasing sound if you're using the delay to add dimension.

But for wacky delay effects (like spaceship sounds!), it's perfect!

High gain?

Fuzz yes, but you can't hide behind a Fuzz Face! (or a Tone Bender, or any of the other classics, and newer stuff from Fulltone, etc). Maybe a Muff, or even a Fuzz Factory (cause' of all the side effects!), but a Fuzz Face (well, a good one. Keep in mind everyone, that Jimi's Fuzz Faces were always being tweaked by Roger Mayer. I suggest one of his boxes for that vintage tone. Every boutique company, even Fulltone, copies the Tycobrahe Octavia, but Roger Mayer's was the original, man! And it looks 100% cooler! Coolest lookin' boxes IMHO! Sorry for straying off the topic.) is your volume control's best friend (not to mention your DYNAMICS and TOUCH!) and your sloppyness's worst nightmare! There was no high gain to speak of! Marshall Plexis are not high gain amps! I don't see any Rectal Fryers onstage with him! (sorry Mesa fans. I like to Boogie every now and then!)

Yes, he did make mistakes, mostly cause' of all the drugs he was taking. But you gotta remember, back in those days, blues and rock wasn't about technique like it is now. Only the jazzers, the chicken pickers, the classical/flamenco/mariachi style players, and Jeff Beck were technique freaks! It was about the soul, man! Eric Clapton, at least in live situations, is still a runaway train as a player (like Bill Ward as a drummer!). Hendrix was extra sloppy cause' of the drugs, and everything he did was so nuanced and out of this world! Like a roller coaster waitin' to cut loose!

There was no hiding back then, brother.

Marshall 100-watt Super Lead amps...ya you can get them up there alright.

Marshall 100-watt Super Lead amps...ya you can get them up there alright.

No, you can't.

Even with every control on 10, they'll still be touch sensitive and unforgiving.

Try doing that on a Rectifier. You'll get mud, slosh, fizz, and slop.

No, you can't.

Even with every control on 10, they'll still be touch sensitive and unforgiving.

Try doing that on a Rectifier. You'll get mud, slosh, fizz, and slop.

No, just no.

Tocuh sensitive yes, but not unforgiving. Only if your hands dont know how to use it then yes.

No, just no.

Tocuh sensitive yes, but not unforgiving. Only if your hands dont know how to use it then yes.

If you make a mistake or have been slacking, it shows on a Super Lead.

Articulate, dynamic, clear, but still powerful!

If you flub up playing through any of the old four hole Marshalls.

You'll know it. Very unforgiving.

[thumbup] Unless you've got it slathered up real good with effects. Or worse, dummy-loaded and feeding a rack system. #-o

[thumbup] Unless you've got it slathered up real good with effects. Or worse, dummy-loaded and feeding a rack system. #-o

So what if I love chorus!!!!!!!! BTW, don't blame me, blame Xanadu.....

I see nothing wrong with rackmount effects (like simple delay and reverb units, or the better multi-units like the Rocktron Intellifex/Intelliverb/Replifex, the TC stuff like the G-Force and G-Major, not to mention the old school 2290 delay and 1210 chorus/flanger/spatial expander, which is a rack version of the SCF pedal, only with the spatial expander rather than pitch modulation. And the Lexicon, Eventide, and even Alesis stuff is good as well. My favorite rack delay is either a Chandler, which sounds very tape-like and doesn't screw with the tone (as Eric Johnson once described it!), or the old Roland SDE-3000s!), or switching systems (like the classic Bob Bradshaw system, the GCX system, or the wonderful RJM Effects Gizmo). But when you're dummy loading heads through a bunch of outboard power amps, then you're taking away from the amp's natural sound. Unless it's used correctly. Like when EVH started slaving through rack systems in the Van Hagar era, his tone was still great, just a bit different from the sound he got on the early albums. His live tones were always a bit different than the studio stuff IMHO. On those early albums, you're hearing Ted Templeman studio magic. That studio wonder is part of the "Brown Sound", which I have never tried to copy in my entire life. Most of the "brown" comes from Eddie's fingers.

There's lots of players that get great tones with rack systems. But a lot of those guys in the 80s were overusing treble and presence, not to mention the slight chorusing that was slathered on everything (which was usually a "detune" effect, either done with multi-tracking or a piece of gear, or BOTH.....). The recording process has a big effect on the tone. Most hard rock/heavy metal albums of those days sound bright and aggressive, bordering on the "pissed bees" tone. That was the order of the day in that genre. And a lot of guys in the late 80s/early 90s were using preamps rather than real amps. The old Racer X albums (and the first Mr. Big album, believe it or not!) were recorded with the A/DA MP-1 preamp. There was also a lot of solidstate units around from the likes of Randall and Gallien Kruger, among others. And the Marshalls of that era had a tendency to sound like pissed bees with the wrong settings.

You can't tell me that Steve Lukather sounded like a can of hornets back in the 80s! He used a bunch of rack effects in those days. But his tone was far from sounding "pissed". Mick Mars, on the other hand, had one of the brightest tones in the business back then.... Still does.....Other 80s axe-slingers like DeMartini, Lynch, Jake E. Lee, and early Zakk Wylde (when he was a pretty boy....) included.

In the end, I prefer my analog pedals with rack digital delay and reverb in back! I hate digital chorusing! Gimmie an old CE-1!

It's all about what one wants as musician. I like old Marshalls and Les Pauls. Another guy might like a Strat and some tiny boutique amp with an overdrive box. Another might like his Ibanez with his A/DA MP-1. Another might like his Suhr and his expensive Bradshaw rig.

There's different tools for different players and I think we should all respect that!

Blasphemous!!!

The only effect I use any more with my four hole'r is delay and just a smidge of that, and a teeny tiny dash of reverb.

Yes. That is a great sound! I worked that combination last night with my Strat on the neck pickup, and that is the best that Strat has ever sounded.

Archived