Gibson Brands Forums

Listening to a blues kid the same age as me, SRV's Child?!

FenderGuy1

He's good, but I've heard better for his age (of course I've heard a lot worse too). Actually, I don't think you're all that far behind him. your styles are different, but as you branch out a bit, you could play what he did, and maybe even improve on it.

He's good, but I've heard better for his age (of course I've heard a lot worse too). Actually, I don't think you're all that far behind him. your styles are different, but as you branch out a bit, you could play what he did, and maybe even improve on it.

Good description.

FenderGuy1 is more in the Hendrix/Trower "far out" world. This guy is more like tamed SRV (obviously not as skilled. No offense), mixed with some old school Steve Cropper and Albert King!

I have yet to discover an up-and-coming blues player that does the Bloomfield thing. There is tons of SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, even Gallagher type players out there, but no one can do Bloomfield.

Hell, I was warming up this morning with The Paul Butterfield Blues Band's version of "Shake Your Money Maker", and I found it very tricky to hit those notes accurately.

Same goes for guys like Alvin Lee and Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown.

You hear SRV once and think the blues is repetitious and easy, then you listen to Mikey, Alvin, and Kim and you're hit in the face with a **** ton of bricks. At least in my experience.

Johnny Winter is another one of those. I've always felt these guys never get quite their due.

I'm happy to see other young players like SRV. Here is one of my SRV covers:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

’04 Fender Custom Shop ’56 Stratocaster Relic RI 50th Anniv. Aztec Gold

'10 Fender American Select Mahogany HSS Strat

'07 Fender Custom Shop Vintage Heavy Relic HB Telecaster

'03 Gibson ES-345 RI

’08 Gibson Les Paul R-7 Historic Series 1957 RI VOS Gold Top

’93 Gretsch 6120SSU Brian Setzer Signature

’96 Schecter California Custom Hellcat

’98 De Armond by Guild M-75T

’10 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Stratocaster (Fender CS ’69 /Candy Apple Red)

’10 Squier Telecaster w/Bigsby (Fender CS Texas Specials/Candy Apple Red)

’09 Squier Stratocaster HSS Standard (Pearly Gates HB/SSL-1/SSL-1/Silver Sparkle)

’02 Squier Bullet HHH (S. Duncan: Little ‘59/Duckbucker/JB Jr. /LockingTuners)

’10 Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar HH (Fiesta Red)

Breedlove AD25/SR Plus Acoustic

Yamaha S90XS Keyboard

Amps: Bogner Shiva 80W. EL34 w/Rvb + Peavey VK 412; Egnater Renegade 65W. + Ampeg 4x12; Fender Blues Deluxe RI; Fender 40th Anniversary ’65 Twin Reverb RI; Peavey Delta Blues 115; Roland Cube-60; Roland KC-150; Marshall AS-50R

I'm happy to see other young players like SRV. Here is one of my SRV covers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK6m6a8d7Bc&list=UU5SV48ycFxGMqcca4KYm_yg&index=8&feature=plcp

__________________________________________________________________________________________

'04 Fender Custom Shop '56 Stratocaster Relic RI 50th Anniv. Aztec Gold

'10 Fender American Select Mahogany HSS Strat

'07 Fender Custom Shop Vintage Heavy Relic HB Telecaster

'03 Gibson ES-345 RI

'08 Gibson Les Paul R-7 Historic Series 1957 RI VOS Gold Top

'93 Gretsch 6120SSU Brian Setzer Signature

'96 Schecter California Custom Hellcat

'98 De Armond by Guild M-75T

'10 Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster (Fender CS '69 /Candy Apple Red)

'10 Squier Telecaster w/Bigsby (Fender CS Texas Specials/Candy Apple Red)

'09 Squier Stratocaster HSS Standard (Pearly Gates HB/SSL-1/SSL-1/Silver Sparkle)

'02 Squier Bullet HHH (S. Duncan: Little '59/Duckbucker/JB Jr. /LockingTuners)

'10 Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar HH (Fiesta Red)

Breedlove AD25/SR Plus Acoustic

Yamaha S90XS Keyboard

Amps: Bogner Shiva 80W. EL34 w/Rvb + Peavey VK 412; Egnater Renegade 65W. + Ampeg 4x12; Fender Blues Deluxe RI; Fender 40th Anniversary '65 Twin Reverb RI; Peavey Delta Blues 115; Roland Cube-60; Roland KC-150; Marshall AS-50R

Great cover!

Gary Moore did a great version of that song as well.

I don't really care for people doing the SRV thing. It's absolutely fine to cover and know his songs, but to make your guitar style echo his isn't necessary (I am not talking about you BTW). There's too many of them out there. It's almost too easy to copy SRV and his tone. If I had a dollar for the players that have a Strat, a Tube Screamer, and a blackface Fender just cause' he did.....I'd be a multi-millionare.

Not taking away from the greatness of Strats, Tube Screamers, and Fender amps though....

My example of that is Kenny Wanye Shepherd. He's not very original IMHO....

Mike, I like your cover, very nice, and you did make it your own. Well done. I listened to several more that played after, while I was writing the reply below. Not a clunker in the bunch!

Great cover!

Gary Moore did a great version of that song as well.

I don't really care for people doing the SRV thing. It's absolutely fine to cover and know his songs, but to make your guitar style echo his isn't necessary (I am not talking about you BTW). There's too many of them out there. It's almost too easy to copy SRV and his tone. If I had a dollar for the players that have a Strat, a Tube Screamer, and a blackface Fender just cause' he did.....I'd be a multi-millionare.

Not taking away from the greatness of Strats, Tube Screamers, and Fender amps though....

My example of that is Kenny Wanye Shepherd. He's not very original IMHO....

Going to have to disagree with you on KWS Kaleb, I've been a fan of his for 20 years or so. He is quite a bit different from SRV and IMO doesn't try to emulate him at all. If you listen to his albums, the sound is dramatically different from Stevie. Not even so much a Texas thang (of course he's from Louisiana).

KWS came up from being a "child prodigy", something that can actually hurt one as they transition from being "a highly talented kid player" to being "just another guitarist" once they come of age. Joe Bonamassa is one such prodigy who made it. It's not easy. reminds me of one we had locally in the Detroit area, first saw him at 16. He is actually responsible for inspiring me to get back into playing after over a decade of being away from it. Name is Jake Bishop.

Last time i saw Jake, he was 18 (or about to turn 18). His high school band (very talented trio) was breaking up to go their separate ways after graduation, and he headed off to Nashville TN to seek his destiny. That was 2 years ago, I hope he's doing well but have heard no news of him in a long time.

KWS biggest drawback may be that he doesn't sing. OTOH, he's got a fantastic Singer, and I'm a big fan of their sound. His album Ten Days Out was a monumental tribute to a number of Blues Legends, from hugely famous to barely known. He recorded numbers with them all, and several of them are no longer alive. Glad he got some of their work down and gave them a voice with a bit wider audience than they'd had.

Mike, I like your cover, very nice, and you did make it your own. Well done. I listened to several more that played after, while I was writing the reply below. Not a clunker in the bunch!

Going to have to disagree with you on KWS Kaleb, I've been a fan of his for 20 years or so. He is quite a bit different from SRV and IMO doesn't try to emulate him at all. If you listen to his albums, the sound is dramatically different from Stevie. Not even so much a Texas thang (of course he's from Louisiana).

KWS came up from being a "child prodigy", something that can actually hurt one as they transition from being "a highly talented kid player" to being "just another guitarist" once they come of age. Joe Bonamassa is one such prodigy who made it. It's not easy. reminds me of one we had locally in the Detroit area, first saw him at 16. He is actually responsible for inspiring me to get back into playing after over a decade of being away from it. Name is Jake Bishop.

Last time i saw Jake, he was 18 (or about to turn 18). His high school band (very talented trio) was breaking up to go their separate ways after graduation, and he headed off to Nashville TN to seek his destiny. That was 2 years ago, I hope he's doing well but have heard no news of him in a long time.

KWS biggest drawback may be that he doesn't sing. OTOH, he's got a fantastic Singer, and I'm a big fan of their sound. His album Ten Days Out was a monumental tribute to a number of Blues Legends, from hugely famous to barely known. He recorded numbers with them all, and several of them are no longer alive. Glad he got some of their work down and gave them a voice with a bit wider audience than they'd had.

So maybe he's not a SRV Carbon Copy, but a lot of his leads sound very similar. Not necessarily his songs.

Joe Bonamassa has something above his counterparts: He's different. He's got a classical influence. He's not just a straight blues rock purists. And his technical skill is higher than most of those other guys.

Derek Trucks is the same. Different from everyone else. Jonny Lang is good. But that's straight blues/gospel, at least to me. A lot of people tell me I sound like him. I don't know where they're coming from.

I actually prefer Kenny's original singer to Noah. By a long mile. His first album I really like. The rest not as much. There's a couple tunes I like since the debut, like Shotgun Blues, but most of it I don't dig too much. His new album, from what I've heard, kicks butt though!

A newer guy that is real good is Davy Knowles. He's not just another Strat cat. He's got some different influences. How many other blues rock players say that Mark Knopfler was their inspiration to pick up the guitar?

Back to Mike for a minute, just listened to your Route 66 cover, my favorite so far. You've got some great stuff up there!

Kaleb, I liked KWS' first singer better too. Still... at least he's not killing his act by trying to d what he (apparently?) can't.

In the end, I think he's got quite a future left, he's still relatively young (thirty four I think). A lot can happen. Looking forward to the tunes!

Back to Mike for a minute, just listened to your Route 66 cover, my favorite so far. You've got some great stuff up there!

Kaleb, I liked KWS' first singer better too. Still... at least he's not killing his act by trying to d what he (apparently?) can't.

In the end, I think he's got quite a future left, he's still relatively young (thirty four I think). A lot can happen. Looking forward to the tunes!

He sang lead on one of his albums. That rock one that he did. Sounds like Lenny Kravitz.....

Yeah, who knows whats next?!

Archived