Gibson Brands Forums

Vox Hendrix tone sample

FenderGuy1

When I hear the words "Vox" and "Strat" in the same sentence, I think RORY GALLAGHER!!!!!

Your mother/father (I couldn't tell. It was too loud...) yelling at you to turn down was really funny. But I think that you should warn them beforehand that you're shooting a video! Cause' them walking in is very unprofessional IMHO.

Nice Grand Theft Auto poster, BTW!!!!

When I hear the words "Vox" and "Strat" in the same sentence, I think RORY GALLAGHER!!!!!

Your mother/father (I couldn't tell. It was too loud...) yelling at you to turn down was really funny. But I think that you should warn them beforehand that you're shooting a video! Cause' them walking in is very unprofessional IMHO.

Nice Grand Theft Auto poster, BTW!!!!

Thanks, its every old game fans need! i love my vox lol

Nope. Not even close to Hendrix, but don't worry about that, just keep working on your playing.

BTW, I suspected I knew why your Mom wanted you to sell the Vox. I think we just got a demonstration of what I was thinking. She'll be no happier with any other amp of any real volume. You might want to strive to get yourself a small low powered tube amp also, so you can get "your" sound without it being so upsetting to her. A practice amp.

One more thing. Call this constructive criticism, and please take it in the positive light it is intended. That video was 10:43. Others have mentioned before, but I'll be a little more pointed (so hopefully you'll get the point). Record all you want for yourself, but for anything you put up on the web, it should be something you'd cut down to just what you think others might be interested in hearing. I understand recording improvisation. But edit out the parts where you're setting up, messing with settings, etc. Post only the parts you are proud of. And if it's a song you're working on, then not improvisation, rehearse and get it down. Again, record or post only the finished, polished bit.

Bottom line, that 10:43 will turn most away after a minute or so (it did me). I scanned forward, and saw very little more playing, because wherever I went back to playback, you were still messing with the settings etc. That's not going to interest anyone else, and it will turn folks sour to your postings. You've posted some good stuff in the past. Work to refine that, shorten them up (we're busy! [laugh] ) and try to hold your audience's interest.

Lastly I admire your confidence to post at all. I've not recorded anything in decades, and have put zero content online. And I won't be doing so anytime real soon. Trying to work up the courage (and material) to just play in public at a local open mic night!

Nope. Not even close to Hendrix, but don't worry about that, just keep working on your playing.

BTW, I suspected I knew why your Mom wanted you to sell the Vox. I think we just got a demonstration of what I was thinking. She'll be no happier with any other amp of any real volume. You might want to strive to get yourself a small low powered tube amp also, so you can get "your" sound without it being so upsetting to her. A practice amp.

One more thing. Call this constructive criticism, and please take it in the positive light it is intended. That video was 10:43. Others have mentioned before, but I'll be a little more pointed (so hopefully you'll get the point). Record all you want for yourself, but for anything you put up on the web, it should be something you'd cut down to just what you think others might be interested in hearing. I understand recording improvisation. But edit out the parts where you're setting up, messing with settings, etc. Post only the parts you are proud of. And if it's a song you're working on, then not improvisation, rehearse and get it down. Again, record or post only the finished, polished bit.

Bottom line, that 10:43 will turn most away after a minute or so (it did me). I scanned forward, and saw very little more playing, because wherever I went back to playback, you were still messing with the settings etc. That's not going to interest anyone else, and it will turn folks sour to your postings. You've posted some good stuff in the past. Work to refine that, shorten them up (we're busy! [laugh] ) and try to hold your audience's interest.

Lastly I admire your confidence to post at all. I've not recorded anything in decades, and have put zero content online. And I won't be doing so anytime real soon. Trying to work up the courage (and material) to just play in public at a local open mic night!

Maybe you should try posting something up here first.. I used to be in a band many years ago an never had a problem playing in front of people. But when I put my first bit of playing online I was so scared.. But I think it was a good experience. Not that my posts ever got that much attention but still it was just good in my head knowing that I just put it out there.

It dont have to be perfect or even that long.. Just give a sample of what you can do. Whenever I do it (usualy just a guitar tone test) I just muck around and never really practice anything. Which is both good and bad. I like being spontanious but sometimes your mind just goes blank.

But the other thing is that the people on here are actually pretty supportive (mostly :P) and it feels good when you get any kind of comment because if it isnt totally positive it will usually contain some good advice. So I say forget what you think and just do it, you may be suprised by the results.

And Nathan your a good example of that. I agree you should try to refine your videos to just show your playing.. We'd rather see two shorter vids with more playing and less fiddling going on (even though I myself have posted some that long [blush] but is usually all playing) :) but keep it up man your getting there bit by bit (and still have many many years to get really good). [thumbup]

Maybe you should try posting something up here first.. I used to be in a band many years ago an never had a problem playing in front of people. But when I put my first bit of playing online I was so scared.. But I think it was a good experience. Not that my posts ever got that much attention but still it was just good in my head knowing that I just put it out there.

It dont have to be perfect or even that long.. Just give a sample of what you can do. Whenever I do it (usualy just a guitar tone test) I just muck around and never really practice anything. Which is both good and bad. I like being spontanious but sometimes your mind just goes blank.

But the other thing is that the people on here are actually pretty supportive (mostly :P) and it feels good when you get any kind of comment because if it isnt totally positive it will usually contain some good advice. So I say forget what you think and just do it, you may be suprised by the results.

And Nathan your a good example of that. I agree you should try to refine your videos to just show your playing.. We'd rather see two shorter vids with more playing and less fiddling going on (even though I myself have posted some that long [blush] but is usually all playing) :) but keep it up man your getting there bit by bit (and still have many many years to get really good). [thumbup]

I do plan to, really. Just not quite yet... working on it though. [thumbup]

I was in a band at the end of High School, nearly committed to doing it for a living (very short lived, made a career decision that killed it for me) several decades back. Got to play in front of small audiences a small handful of times (that started in 3rd or 4th grade I think, at that point I was playing drums!).

But after high school, just 2-3 times for sound checks with my band mates (they had an existing band with booked gigs to finish up, all but 2 going off to college so splitting up, we were forming ours and were putting together our set lists and practicing- I helped out roadying for their last several gigs- the sound checks pretty much ceased when the other Members got pissed, as we got a huge reaction from the kids waiting to come in and we blew away anything they did in their act- BTW, pretty sure the song we did was either Anthem or Bastille Day from Rush, and they didn't so any Rush. Thought Kaleb would like that one.

Nathan, keep playing AND recording, but give us a bit more of the substance of what you produce [thumbup] .

I CONCUR!

The reason I'm not on the Internet is cause' I'm lazy, I don't know what the hell I'm doing production wise, and technology is not always a good friend to me.

The only times I was ever online was when a friend posted a video of a instrumental slow blues thing my band and I were playing at a show last Halloween weekend (I had improvised it at another gig in Feb, 11' as a tribute to Gary Moore. When I dedicate the song to him when we play live, unfortunately, no one knows who he is so I get a dead response! I also dedicated the song to George Harrison in that video because it was close to the 10th Anniversary of his passing.), with my Strat, no less. The other time was last month. I was at my home jamming on an Ace Frehley tune called "I'm In Need Of Love" with my Digitech RP1000 (that song has cool Echoplex effects, which gave that song most of it's mojo. Man, I wish he would play that live!), my SG, and my little Genz Benz acoustic amp AKA "Plexi Jr.", which gets a nice old school Marshall tone when you crank it up! And he put it on his Facebook (and tried to forward it to Ace's Facebook, cause' it happened to be his birthday. I advised him not to. It wouldn't work anyways. I'm not that kind of guy to do that), so it's there. Not exactly Internet hits, so to speak. The former video was not on Youtube, BTW. It was on some website that I can't remember.

I practice stuff all the time. I've been trying to learn more Alex Lifeson (and the riff in the Rush tune "The Analog Kid". Man, that guy is crazy!) and George Lynch solos. Most of the time, I just turn it up and go for it! Up till' Friday, I had gone a week without playing guitar (I was vacationing in Orlando. Busch Gardens is the best!). I got back on Wednesday night, but I didn't play until Friday, as my stuff is at my bass player's house (the laboratory, so to speak.). Man, when I first picked my SG up, I WAS TERRIBLE! That, and all my calluses were gone, so it hurt a little! But it was fun!

Most of my comments concerning his videos have some constructive criticism in them. Refining the videos and making them shorter would make it way better.

I give him credit for having the confidence, and as you said, he is a youngster and has many more things to learn and discover! As do all of us!

If you think you know it all on guitar and have done everything possibe, then you ain't a real musician. That's the catch. You never, ever stop learning. And that applies to life, period.

What I do if I'm doing a Hendrix tune, I'll power up my VOX AC50 on channel 2 and crank the clean tone to 10, and all the EQ settings to 10 as well..... I use my Gibby LPC and use the neck pup with the volume and treble control all the way up...

Listen to sample below.... It's not as dirty as Hendrix's tone, but it helps me to play with the Jimi vibe.... Well as much as my ability will allow for.... [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz4HHJm_vJw&feature=plcp

Archived