Gibson Brands Forums

Internet problems.

LarryUK

I've had problems recently with really slow sppeds on my broadband. I've just been on to my provider and it turned out that the problem was Google Chrome. I've deleted it and now I'm using IE I'm ok again.

Any recommended browsers or ways to keep the speed up?

I've had problems recently with really slow sppeds on my broadband. I've just been on to my provider and it turned out that the problem was Google Chrome. I've deleted it and now I'm using IE I'm ok again.

Any recommended browsers or ways to keep the speed up?

I doubt its Chrome causing the issue. If anything its faster than IE..

As for what the issues are, it could be many things.. the first thing to try is to turn your router off for 30 seconds and back on again... They often get slow and a simple reset does the job.

Also do you know what speed you should be getting? You can check your current speed on this site http://www.speedtest.net/

Also you may have a load of Add-Ons on your browser. You can turn them off in IE (each one will slow your browsing down) if you go to Internet Options, the Program tab then Manage Addons...

As for other browsers, maybe try Firefox, ive used that many times and its pretty good.

Also the last thing is you may have a virus, that can very much slow your whole system down.. Download a free program called MalwareBytes, its excellent and do a full scan (will take a while but is worth it). http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Good luck :)

Guest farnsbarns

Almost certainly bad cache or cookies. If you reinstall Chrome you'll probably find it's fine now. Chrome is the fastest, most secure and most stable browser thanks to it's clever process sandboxing. No one has ever found an exploit to hack it and Google offer a huge reward for anyone who does meaning it'd be more profitable to inform them than use the exploit.

Does your isp provide software (a la AOL)? If so, it's possible that it conflicts with Chrome.

Almost certainly bad cache or cookies. If you reinstall Chrome you'll probably find it's fine now. Chrome is the fastest, most secure and most stable browser thanks to it's clever process sandboxing. No one has ever found an exploit to hack it and Google offer a huge reward for anyone who does meaning it'd be more profitable to inform them than use the exploit.

Does your isp provide software (a la AOL)? If so, it's possible that it conflicts with Chrome.

Yes thats a good one too.. Delete temporary internet files,cookies and chache (also from Internet Options, General tab)

I do all of the above. I use McAfee anti virus and clear my browsing weekly. I'll try re-installing Google.

Even with McAfee id still say use Malwarebytes... The commercial antivirus software like McAfee and AVG etc are only so good and they miss things.. I promise you its worth doing...

I remember when I first installed it on my boss's computer as he said he was having problems.. and he had AVG on there.. So I installed Malwarebytes and it found over 100 bits of spyware on there

I use Mozilla Firefox on Win XP and I'm thinking of changing to Chrome...Windows doesn't really like Firefox though it works ok. I also have Spyware Terminator - it scans when I boot up, Avira antivirus and a very useful free download called CCleaner which I run after every browsing session. The last problem I had was not being able to sign out of anywhere (inc. here) after something updated and downloaded the Yahoo toolbar....very strange, I hid/deactivated the toolbar and everythings ok again...??!!

C cleaner seems to do a good job, cleans registry ect, free download first time I used it brought an incredble amount of registry issues and cleaned the sytem and seems well again. I use it all the time. [biggrin] give it a go. Recomended it to a company I work with and they use it.

Under tools delete all your old history/cookies,clean your disk & defragment you disk,and run Microsoft Security Essentials,update it then run full version.Also I use Firefox instead of IE it seems faster with less problems.

Mozilla Firefox. I think at least as popular as Chrome (I'd be surprised if Chrome was the real problem though). Never been a fan of IE.

McAfee you say? About 6 years ago, I realized Norton AV was what was slowing me down. Switched to McAfee and found essentially the same issues. 5 years ago, a co worker recommended Avast anti virus (free version). I dropped McAfee, went to Avast (that I've been using, free, ever since) and have had far less troubles (and am still "disease free"). The big guys have just made their software far to system dragging intensive. JMO, YMMV.

Guest farnsbarns

Just to add a quick mention of SpyBot search and destroy (AKA Spybot S+D) for weeding out those spywares, malwares, tracking cookies and dubious registry keys.

Archived