Gibson Brands Forums

New 2012 Les Paul Standard - Is it Chambered?

GUIBH

Hi everyone,

I have seen some comments on the 2012 LP standard as if it has a solid body (not chambered).

Is it true? Is gibson making the standard with a solid body (not chambered)?

The new standard lp is chambered. The Gibson website shows the chambers. The traditional lp is weight relieved. All the standards after 2008 were chambered and the new ones are too. It shows it on the gibson site. They also now have the ability to coil tap. Here is a link to the spwcs page at Gibson.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard/Specs.aspx

Hope this was helpful,

Chris

• 5 weeks later...

so do they weigh the same? the pre 08 and the new?...i mean the chambering "shape" is different [unsure]

Chambered Les Pauls are lighter than ''swiss cheesed'' one. Good thing for your shoulder when you play standing but it make the neck a bit too heavy in my opinion.

Cheers.

Hello! Speaking of aspects of comfort only: I think the traditional weight-relieved (a.k.a. swiss cheese) guitars are more comfortable. Because of their weight, they tend to move less whether You play standed or seated. The chambered ones are too light in my opinion, which harms freting precisity. The LP Traditional/Classic Custom guitars' necks stay in the same position when You shift freting position, while the Studios'/Standards' - kind of - sway away (See Nic LP's comment above). Tone-wise both are great, each have their very slight advantages over the other. (Please note: this is strictly my subjective opinion!). Cheers... Bence

The 2012 Standards and Studios are 'Modern Weight relieved" not chambered there is more wood in the center block, unlike the chambered version.

Hello RUSHian! Yes, You are right. From this year chambering got different. Hopefully it made the instrument better balanced. I haven't tried the new "wheel-spoke"-chambered versions yet... Cheers... Bence

Archived