Gibson Brands Forums

Faded LP standard mods complete, a**-load of pics

TattooedCarrot

Overpaid for it because for some reason these are going for more than they should and you don't usually see flame this nice on them.

I added aged WCR Godwood/Crossroads, Bourns 500k pots, Orange Drop caps, Faber aged lightweight hardware, and did a light polish on the top. Its chambered and weighs 7lbs 3oz even.

It's an '08 I got NOS, but does have a blem on the back (QC issue) where Gibson left a blob of stain and didn't wipe it so there's a smudge.

018.jpg

024.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

008.jpg

Faded's are "Infamous" for having a more resonant output because of the thinner finish (Hence the HIGH resale value of £1500-£1800)

This guy uses them for PG upgrades and won't accept anything else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUmIaAts4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSEArJuxQMQ

Needless to say Gibson for some reason didn't make a huge amount of these and its somewhat of a shame...

Very pretty top and a gorgeous colour, TC.

[thumbup]

Just out of curiosity; is the ABR-1 reversed to give better access to the saddle adjusting screws? I've heard some folk say this works but I've never tried it out for myself.

P.

is the ABR-1 reversed to give better access to the saddle adjusting screws? I've heard some folk say this works but I've never tried it out for myself.

Dunno, I took it to a friend who is a guitar/amp repair guy and he threw the parts on for me. He did make a comment that the aftermarket bridge looked like it was set up to go on backwards. honestly, I didn't think it mattered as long as the saddles are positioned for proper intonation.

Dunno, I took it to a friend who is a guitar/amp repair guy and he threw the parts on for me. He did make a comment that the aftermarket bridge looked like it was set up to go on backwards. honestly, I didn't think it mattered as long as the saddles are positioned for proper intonation.

You're absolutely right, TC; It probably makes no difference.

I've read one argument that says the saddles can be adjusted easier with the ABR-1 fitted so the screw-heads are facing the stop-bar........but I've read another argument saying the screw-heads can foul the string break-angle when fitted the 'wrong' way round. Some folk suggest this lessens sustain and can lead to odd rattles-and-buzzes. However I've seen a few famous players with their bridge set up like yours (Billy Gibbons and his 'Pearly Gates' for example) and I'm sure they know what they're doing!

IMHO, as long as it works O.K. that's all that matters.

[thumbup]

P.

Regarding the "Peter Green Mod' videos...

Playing small segments of the same parts for A/B comparisons

I think it actually sounded better stock!

The tone to me sounds fuller & warmer than the modded outcome.

Pro's are indeed brighter, the PG sound is all about a more nasal sounding output.

A good "stock" alternative of this (I also own) is a Fender 1965/69 Mustang and set it to the inside positions. The sound is very similar

Regarding the "Peter Green Mod' videos......Playing small segments of the same parts for A/B comparisons....I think it actually sounded better stock!...The tone to me sounds fuller & warmer than the modded outcome.

Pro's are indeed brighter, the PG sound is all about a more nasal sounding output....

It would be asking a lot, I know, but it would have been more interesting to my way of thinking if he had flipped the BB's magnet to give a proper demonstration of the difference in sound between the p-ups. I agree in part with G.F.L.'s remark about the BB's sounding fuller but I'm listening to it through my laptop's sound circuit and in-ear 'phones; perhaps the Manalishi's sounded better in real life.

IMX the 'Quack' is relatively easy to get with a set of o-o-p p-ups; it's PG's in-phase tone that's more elusive.

A vast generalisation, of course, but compared to a 'regular' PG tone (IMO & FWIW !) the BB's were too bright and the Manalishi's were too muddy. What he needs, obviously, is a pair of '57 Classics.

[laugh]

P.

Regarding the "Peter Green Mod' videos...

Playing small segments of the same parts for A/B comparisons

I think it actually sounded better stock!

The tone to me sounds fuller & warmer than the modded outcome.

If you're familiar with Peter Green's out-of-phase tone, then it makes sense. People going for the Peter Green sound are going for that thinner out of phase tone. Its on purpose.

Mine is not a PG modded faded, but it is brighter than most LP's because its chambered and so light. Bright and airy, open sounding. Which I think is the big appeal of these faded models.

I also have a solid 11lbs Norlin era '81 custom when I want the big grunt.

Overpaid for it because for some reason these are going for more than they should and you don't usually see flame this nice on them.

Great looking Std Faded! Great Choice!

The reason they go for such a high price is because they ARE that good!

I love mine and I'm happy to say that I got it at a bargain price considering what they are going for now.

They didn't make them for very long and they got really popular fast. Maybe thats why Gibson discontinued them?

Either way don't worry, They are one of those rare models that have been going up in price and have been since I got mine used in 2007.

Mine btw, is a 2005 Tobacco with a 60's Neck profile. Gibson Only made the 60's Necks for 2 years!

In this day of mass production the Standard Faded actually stands out and the price reflects the demand.

IMG_8910.jpg?t=1243373790

Great looking Std Faded! Great Choice!

The reason they go for such a high price is because they ARE that good!

I love mine and I'm happy to say that I got it at a bargain price considering what they are going for now.

They didn't make them for very long and they got really popular fast. Maybe thats why Gibson discontinued them?

Either way don't worry, They are one of those rare models that have been going up in price and have been since I got mine used in 2007.

Mine btw, is a 2005 Tobacco with a 60's Neck profile. Gibson Only made the 60's Necks for 2 years!

In this day of mass production the Standard Faded actually stands out and the price reflects the demand.

IMG_8910.jpg?t=1243373790

Your's is very similar to mine, another '07 Faded in Tobacco, except with a '50's neck. Mine has been modded by Larry Corsa. What people need to keep in mind when deciding if they like the out of phase Peter Green sound is just a twist of either volume control and you lose the out of phase and are back to straight LP. I like the out of phase sound, but also like the full LP sound I can also get. I have Larry's Manilishi pups.

PB070007-2.jpg

Your's is very similar to mine, another '07 Faded in Tobacco, except with a '50's neck. Mine has been modded by Larry Corsa. What people need to keep in mind when deciding if they like the out of phase Peter Green sound is just a twist of either volume control and you lose the out of phase and are back to straight LP. I like the out of phase sound, but also like the full LP sound I can also get. I have Larry's Manilishi pups.

PB070007-2.jpg

Beautiful.. Just beautiful!

It would be asking a lot, I know, but it would have been more interesting to my way of thinking if he had flipped the BB's magnet to give a proper demonstration of the difference in sound between the p-ups. I agree in part with G.F.L.'s remark about the BB's sounding fuller but I'm listening to it through my laptop's sound circuit and in-ear 'phones; perhaps the Manalishi's sounded better in real life.

IMX the 'Quack' is relatively easy to get with a set of o-o-p p-ups; it's PG's in-phase tone that's more elusive.

A vast generalisation, of course, but compared to a 'regular' PG tone (IMO & FWIW !) the BB's were too bright and the Manalishi's were too muddy. What he needs, obviously, is a pair of '57 Classics.

[laugh]

P.

I put Bareknuckle PG Blues in my Standard faded and never looked back

I put Bareknuckle PG Blues in my Standard faded and never looked back

I can believe it. I've heard a lot of good comments re; Bareknuckle p-ups in general.

A good friend put a set of Throbak PG ones in his G0 and they sound very good too.

P.

Archived