Gibson Brands Forums

Crying ...

JuanCarlosVejar

Roy was Bruce Springsteen's hero from way back. Bruce said that Roy wrote the most grabbing opening lines in his songs, ie, 'your baby doesn't love you any more'. He said that's what inspired his - 'got a wife and kid in Baltimore jack, went out for a drive and never came back'.....

Roy is a legend and the best thing ever from Texas. Thanks for the post JCV.

How many guys playing today would have the guts to do that song live (in front of what looks like a high school audience in a gym), with all those high notes?

The guy could flat-out write songs and sing!

There's probably nobody my age who didn't relish cruising on Friday night with the windows open (or the top down, if you were lucky), singing along to Roy doing "Oh, Pretty Woman" on the radio.

I was pretty lucky in high school (1961-'65) in that several of my best friends (or rather, their fathers) had great cruisin' cars: one a pale blue and white 1960 T-bird, and the other a turquoise and white 1960 'Vette. Then another friend's dad got a red '64 GTO, and we thought we had died and gone to heaven. Wonder if his dad ever figured out why he went through a set of tires every 5K miles?

Great, great music to be found in the early and mid 60's (among a lot of junk, to be sure: Hermans' Hermits, anyone?. Things changed faster than ever in that decade. Started with songs like "Crying", and ended with "Abbey Road".

kd kicked the top out of that one.... I've always noticed the later versions recorded by many with the beefed up drums. The orig tom was great in its time, but the crescendo of that song was made for some serious slappin. love mr roy

And then there was this, with Roy and Emmylou---it got quite a bit of radio play as I recall, but a recording was, at the time, nowhere to be found. Then in the late-80s, I taught freshman composition courses in Austin, and one day, for whatever reason, reference was made to this recording and my on-going quest to find/obtain a copy.

Turned out that a very quiet student of mine was friends with somebody who knew somebody, and, after exams that semester, he shyly but with great pleasure handed me a not-for-sale 45 of the song, which I hope I still have somewhere.

(Remember when, before the digital age, life was full of such quests? Ah, but I ain't complainin'...there's a lot to be said for having all this music at one's fingertips. But just how is this from more than 30 years ago??? [scared] )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTUG1odiRXo

And then there was this, with Roy and Emmylou---it got quite a bit of radio play as I recall, but a recording was, at the time, nowhere to be found. Then in the late-80s, I taught freshman composition courses in Austin, and one day, for whatever reason, reference was made to this recording and my on-going quest to find/obtain a copy.

Turned out that a very quiet student of mine was friends with somebody who knew somebody, and, after exams that semester, he shyly but with great pleasure handed me a not-for-sale 45 of the song, which I hope I still have somewhere.

(Remember when, before the digital age, life was full of such quests? Ah, but I ain't complainin'...there's a lot to be said for having all this music at one's fingertips. But just how is this from more than 30 years ago??? [scared] )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTUG1odiRXo

Although I've always felt this recording was over-produced (like much of the popular music of that period), it is a sweet, wonderful song with the surprising complexity that is almost always a part of Orbision's compositions. The lyrics are simple, but the structural form of the song itself is not.

Orbison's incredible vocal range made it practical for him to sing duets with voices as diverse as KD Lang and Emmylou. I've always felt that KD was almost like his twin, the way their voices worked together. It is sometimes difficult to tell which one of them is singing, since they sometimes sing in exactly the same register. Almost a male/female version of the Everly Brothers.

With Emmylou, it is the more classical male/female singing roles (as it always is with her voice), but they still complemented each other perfectly.

Archived