Gibson Brands Forums

LEEDS FUZZ

bluesguitar65

Nice job! [thumbup] The Leeds was my first build. Later I modded the "scooped sound" to add more mids and get it closer to the other sound. I like it better now. Let me know if you want the specs for that - or just search their forums, I asked for suggestions and posted my mod there.

Nice job! [thumbup] The Leeds was my first build. Later I modded the "scooped sound" to add more mids and get it closer to the other sound. I like it better now. Let me know if you want the specs for that - or just search their forums, I asked for suggestions and posted my mod there.

Thanks surfpup!

Yes, I would be interested in that mod and how did you adjust the internal trim pot? Did you do the recommended BYOC adjustment of having it set to the most "noisy" setting or did you set it to the most "quitest" setting as suggested by Wattson Classic Electronics, the maker of the Wattson Super Fuzz reissue?

The trim pot is a balance control for the differential amp - the part of the circuit that generates the octave effect. Cranking it hard to either side screws up the balance, and kills the octave and all of the good harmonics that go with it.

Ignore the BYOC instructions for setting the trimmer. The guy who wrote them obviously doesn't understand how the circuit is supposed to work. Do this instead:

Hook up your guitar and amp. Guitar volume max, and amp volume high enough so you can clearly hear when the effect is on or off WITHOUT PLAYING THE GUITAR. This means you're just listening for the noise coming out of the effects circuit.

Now, adjust the trim until the noise level is MINIMUM. This should be pretty close to the center position, depending on how well matched the transistors in the differential amp are.

Put it back together, and play

http://www.wattson-fx.com/

Thanks surfpup!

Yes, I would be interested in that mod and how did you adjust the internal trim pot? Did you do the recommended BYOC adjustment of having it set to the most "noisy" setting or did you set it to the most "quitest" setting as suggested by Wattson Classic Electronics, the maker of the Wattson Super Fuzz reissue?

I didn't mod the trimpot - but one of the two tone setting. Notice how the switch gives you two VERY diferent sounds? I added some mids to the "mid-cut" setting so it wouldn't be quite so Big-Muffy.

As for the trimpot - use your ears. I set it pretty much toward the noisy spot. If I set it quiet (like the Wattson guy says) I lose too much octave. It may vary by each build, but just do what your ears like best.

Archived