Gibson Brands Forums

Any info on this old Gibson Mandolin?

Hello!

I found this old Gibson Mandolin that belonged to my grandma,just kind of curious what it might be worth. The case has what looks to be dated 1893. I dont see any date on the mandolin. I think it is a F-4 from the research i have done, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

a2ac6b1b.jpg

36df74fd.jpg

e0baa999.jpg

26e403d5.jpg

2454ab93.jpg

b62db4ef.jpg

Inlayed tuners were used from 1904-1918 on the F-2 model. 1908 was the first year the pickguard with the point and two clamps was used. To get current market value, check with www.gruhn.com or www.mandoweb.com. They have appraisal services available. Gruhn's Guide places your serial number in 1908. (Approximate last number for instruments built in 1907 = 8300 and approximate last number for 1908 = 9700).

Gruhn's Guide places your serial number in 1908. (Approximate last number for instruments built in 1907 = 8300 and approximate last number for 1908 = 9700).

Bob - I believe Spann's new book is considered to be a notch above Gruhn-Carter's in accuracy, especially in his very complete listing of FONs. At any rate, looks like we're probably in the right ballpark!

Bob - I believe Spann's new book is considered to be a notch above Gruhn-Carter's in accuracy, especially in his very complete listing of FONs. At any rate, looks like we're probably in the right ballpark!

Walter Carter was the Gibson Historian for years and had direct access to all the old ledgers, but your right, either way, the time-frame of 1908/1909 gets it dialed in pretty close.

I think, about a month ago, I was watching an appraisal show that valued an old Gibson Mand. at maybe $180,000.00+ in this time era. If you aren't going to keep it for heirloom reasons be sure you get some serious experts appraising it. Not a dealer that wants it for nothing and cleans your clock!!

If it were me I'd hold on to it and if it was in good shape, learn to play it to honor my Grandma!

Aster

Walter Carter was the Gibson Historian for years and had direct access to all the old ledgers

Yes, I was surprised to read what I did (VG review) about Spann's book, knowing Gruhn & Carter's history. Don't have a copy of the book myself, but if you go to Amazon, you can peruse a good portion of it, including the FON & serial number listings. It's quite impressive.

I think, about a month ago, I was watching an appraisal show that valued an old Gibson Mand. at maybe $180,000.00+ in this time era.

Just so the OP's head doesn't start spinning, this mandolin is not anywhere close to that ballpark. Value is listed at $3,700 - $4,500 in Vintage Guitar magazine's 2012 price guide, and that's for one in excellent condition. Regardless, getting an accurate appraisal from Gruhn would be a wise thing to do.

Thanks very much for the reply's everyone. The money is going to my grandma she kind of needs it now (more than the mandolin) Thats what i was thinking price wise also 3000-5000 range but i will be sure to get it appraised.

Thanks again everyone!

Archived