Gibson Brands Forums

Wireless Set-ups.......

Versatile

I am aiming for wireless guitar, headset mic and in-ear monitor...

Any of you good people doing this at the moment?

Sounds like 3 transmitters and receivers... :blink:

Are there any ways to simplify the gear?

Many Thanks for generously shared wisdom and experience... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I do not perform in front of people, but depending on what you want to spend, I picked up this Audio Technica unit from Amazon awhile back, and it works flawlessly.

Audio-Technica ATW251/G-T3 VHF 170.245 MHz VHF Wireless Guitar System

415YKt0xl2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has very good reviews on it.

I also got this pouch for it.

Neotech 7901124 Wireless Pouch, Black, Medium

41D6QOkpyaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It works with my Pedal Train 2 perfectly too.

The receiver plugs into the first pedal, then a regular cord from the last pedal and then to the amp.

I used X2 wireless for live stuff the last 4 years. Works great no sound loss or issues. Small and compact on my board. I think Line 6 might have bought them a year or so ago so I have no experience with their products.

I use the same as thejay mentions (X2) works very good, and Line 6 DID buy out this company. they are no called the G30 ($299 usd) and the G50 ($399 usd)

Line 6 made a few improvements, added a battery warning, and some cable emulation modes.

The G50 has twice the range (200ft) and a few additional cable emulation settings.

You will love these, not having a cable to trip over, and drag around is just freeing.

/ray

There are "professional" grade dual wireless units. The receiver is a one rack space two channel unit, and then it would have two standard belt-clip transmitters. A guitar cable for one, a headset mic for the other. These are not cheap.

I have no first-hand knowledge of in-ear monitors.

Thankyou for answers so far....

I am enjoying the Line 6 set-up, guitar + headset mic with 2 belt-packs and 2 receivers

It's the in-ear that is the challenge...probably needing a Shure or similar rig...

With 3 quite robust belt-packs hanging from various places

Things would get a bit unwieldy

Just wondering if there is any alternative approach...

V

:-({|=

I bought a Sennheiser FreePort Instrument Wireless System. It works good but old habits are hard to break. I still find myself hanging within a cords distance from the amp! I looked into a headset mic but talked myself out of it. It might be good for speaking but it didn't seem practical for vocals.

For wireless out in the world I only have two words of advice: Spend Money.

Cheap wireless is about the most expensive mistake you can make.

In-ears were always difficult for us, I think we all grew up with one foot up on the monitor, so we were kinda used to having the sound, no matter how bad/wrong/unbalanced/not enough Me hitting us in the chin. I didn't like the in-ears, and I didn't like playing the few places around here that, at the time, required us to use them.

Did I mention spending money? I hope I did, because you will absolutely hate cheap wireless.

rct

Agree with RCT, if you are going to invest in a wireless unit make it a good investment.

As for in ear. I haven't used them personally but a couple friends of mine are in a group that uses them. What's really cool is that they don't use amps and run instruments directly into amp modeling units and then run directly into a pa. It is a pretty sweet deal because then they don't battle stage volume vs. front volume. So sound guys love them haha. Also it cuts back on stage space taken up.

I will give the guy a call or email and see what they were using and get back to you.

I agree with spending money. It sucks to spend money, but cheap wireless is unreliable and sucks your tone. Personally, I would not use a headset mic unless you've got a soundman. It's good to be able to get away from the mic when you need to. Always start the night with fresh batteries and always have a guitar cable handy, just in case. I've been very pleased with my Shure guitar wireless. You might want to pick up a decent headphone amp to use at practice to get used to in-ears. That way you haven't spent a fortune for wireless, and you'll have a good practice tool.

Archived