Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson U2

TrickleDown Effect

yep! they exist.... generally loathed by most gibson players. i've never held one so i can't say if they are good or not.

however, be careful. gibson made a couple of different models of that similar style. everyone always calls all of them a U2, so make sure that's really what it is. i hear the other models are actually worse than the U2.

Yeah...Gibson's attempt to be trendy and not go out of business by releasing their own "Super Strat."

Thank God many guitar players realized that Les Pauls and the like weren't so old-school after all!

They seem to be pretty hard to find...I would love to play one. Hell, I'd love to own one as I'd rather have a Gibson shredder than any other brand.

Gibson produced these babies between 1987 - 1989. Here's a few things I know about this guitar:

--> Explorer-like headstock w/golden silk screened Gibson logo

--> FR style locking nut (could be a Kahler SD Locknut)

--> Ebony (seems like ebony) 24 fret fretboard w/pearl dot inlays (24th fret not inlayed)

--> The body looks more like a Jackson Soloist body, since the cutaway horns are not that pointy

--> 1 humbucker (bridge), 2 single-coils (middle & neck - the picture I have shows 2 single-coil sized humbuckers)

--> 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way PU switch w/3 other mini-switches (probably for coil-tapping)

--> FR style vibrato bridge (could be a Schaller or (hopefully) a Kahler (either Steeler or Spyder)

--> Available finishes: White, Ebony, Red (might be more).

Gibson also produced a U-2 Show Case Edition in November 1988 as part of their "Guitar of the Month" series, only 250 made.

P.S.: According to The Official Vintage Guitar magazine Price Guide (2007), Gibson renamed the U-2 to Mach II in '90-'91.

P.S. 2: The standard models are valued between $750 - $850 (1987 - 1991), and the Show Case Edition $850 - $950.

P.S. 3: Gibson did make Strat like models between 1981 - 1984, but they were not U-2s, they were called Victory MV II & Victory MV X (they either had TOM bridges or Kahler 2200 vibrato bridges - yeah baby!).

P.S. 4: Totally agree with Ian Martin, I'd rather not have a SuperStrat than having an Ibanez (ew - ew - ew - ew, I have issues...I KNOW).

P.S. 5: I have a picture, but since I found it on the Internet and it's not mine, I don't know if I'm supposed to put it up here.

And one last thing...GIBSON PEOPLE, if you're reading this, please-oh-please start making these babies again (or at least the W.R.C.s), but instead of FR style bridges, pop in a Kahler 7300 with a graphite nut and Kahler Stringlock.

I have one of these U2 showcase editions. It's the first guitar I ever bought. Got it used back in 92'. Schaller trem, 24 frets, mini toggles.

I really like it. I had DiMarzio pickups put in. Sounds alot better that the origional (I think) OBL's did. Mine is silver. Also has a set neck.

I had one for a couple of years. I really miss that guitar. I've seen a couple for sale used, but with lots of wear. If I could find one in decent shape I'd jump all over it. I agree, a new production model based on the U2 would be awesome and a Kahler would be too cool.

I've had dozens of guitars over the years and a few that I really regret getting rid of. That U2 is on the top of the list.

Hello guys. I just registered in the forum.

Some months ago i bought a used gibson guitar which looks like a gibson u2 but i am not sure

Can you check the photos and tell me? It's in good cond with a couple of scraches in the body and the headstock.

The body must me mahogany, ebony fretboard, set neck construction, grover tuners, floyd rose style trem, and all this stuff.

the pu's are not the original bill lawrence but a sd jb and 59 cause the previews owner

had sold the stock ones

check it and tell me your opinions please.

Hope you like it

Greetings from Greece!

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

Hey everybody =P~ i just discovered this forum! Lucky me! I have a silver Gibson U2 Showcase Edition, and stupid me let someone borrow it for a while and now the wammy-bar is gone missing :D Anybody know if it's even possible to get a replacement??

Hilsen fra Norway

ps: smash_gus... that does not look like the U2 that I have... at ALL

• 1 month later...

New here..I have a Showcase Edition U2 model in silver produced in 1988..Certificate reads.."This Guitar is one of only 200 Showcase Edition Guitars manufactured in the year 1988.There are nine models,you have one of 200."...It has 3 OBL pickups..Humbucker in bridge and single in middle and neck...Schaller/Floyd Rose bridge trem..4 toggles and 2 knobs...Volume knob clicks in/out for splitting...This next part may or may not be true..I was told by the shop owner that this was either the first or last for that run in 1988..Also was told that it has one extra toggle more,total 4,than the other U2's...

I honestly don't know about that last part because I never checked or even know how to confirm any of that...Besides,I was young and ignorant to any of that when a I got the guitar...All I wanted was crunch and this had it..I will not tell you what I traded the guy for it in fear of being called an idiot(And rightfully so)...

I wonder if anyone could confirm the extra toggle switch thing...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Mach 2 and it does not resemble your guitar. I would not trade this guitar for anything. I have a CANADIAN (Ibanez Lawsuit) copy of a 1973-Gibson 2350 custom (+ original case both in near Mint condition) and also a mint Gibson Explorer with perfect original case. I also have a custom hand made acoustic/electric that is unbelievable. I guess what I am trying to say is that I can play any of these beauties anytime i want but there is only one that has a full time spot on my guitar stand. It is the King of Guitars....the others pale in comparison. It makes the most outrageous sounds of any guitar I have ever played. It is Very loud and clear on any amp. It is fast,low and smooth as an angels bottom....like heavenly!!!! A dealer /technician who set up my guitars admitted it is outrageously fast....and he had never seen another like it.

I have tried to find more info on this guitar but to no avail. Gibson I think, thought they were inferior so have shredded most details from their info bank. The only inferior thing was their judgement in doing so. I will give them a chance to redeem themselves after I get some good photos to email them. I will also post them on this forum site as soon as I can figure out how (and also get the time).

You can pay huge for guitars ....but if you find a beauty by any name she is a beauty

I've seen one in a shop here a while ago.

If I'm not mistaken, it has a bolt-on neck, and the body material is basswood.

In fact, it's still online: http://www.maxguitarstore.com/store/index.php?productID=3037

In a way it's the predecessor of the later M-III/IV series (perhaps M is short for Mach? Linking it to the Mach-II?).

The pictures that smash_gus put up seem to be pretty much the same model as the one I saw in the shop, except the one I saw didn't have binding on the body.

But that's what they look like, as far as I know. Very similar to a Jackson or Kramer of the day.

The M-III/IV have a more extreme look.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, new to the board. I came across a strange looking Gibson in a pawn shop back in Feb. 2009. The shop owner had a good price on it so I bought it just because it was a Gibson and I thoguht I could make a coupla dollars on it. After a good clean-up and set-up,plugged into a proper amp(Marshall), I discovered my favorite playing Gibson. I own and use a '82 Standard,'84 Explorer w/Kahler trem and a '00 LP DC Junior w/ P90's. Now maybe it's the honeymoon period or whatever but this guitar is my go to,grab-and-go guitar. My 16 yo son has discovered it also and it has become his favorite too. It has the Bill Lawrence pup's in it and I really like the versatility of this guitar. It had Gibson Custom Shop on the back of the headstock. I don't know if they all had that or not but this is an incredible guitar. Seems like it should have a tremolo but it is a standard type bridge. I catch myself reaching for a trem bar that ain't there. Actually sold a nice Ibanez JS1000 so I could keep it.

1340-425.jpg

Hi everyone' date=' new to the board. I came across a strange looking Gibson in a pawn shop back in Feb. 2009. The shop owner had a good price on it so I bought it just because it was a Gibson and I thoguht I could make a coupla dollars on it. After a good clean-up and set-up,plugged into a proper amp(Marshall), I discovered my favorite playing Gibson. I own and use a '82 Standard,'84 Explorer w/Kahler trem and a '00 LP DC Junior w/ P90's. Now maybe it's the honeymoon period or whatever but this guitar is my go to,grab-and-go guitar. My 16 yo son has discovered it also and it has become his favorite too. It has the Bill Lawrence pup's in it and I really like the versatility of this guitar. It had Gibson Custom Shop on the back of the headstock. I don't know if they all had that or not but this is an incredible guitar. Seems like it should have a tremolo but it is a standard type bridge. I catch myself reaching for a trem bar that ain't there. Actually sold a nice Ibanez JS1000 so I could keep it.

1340-425.jpg

Wow if its a custom its gota worth alot.

• 2 years later...

I have a U2 as well as a 1967 SG, 1970 335, 1952 L7C and a Fender Strat.

I love the U2, great action on the neck, lower frets are easy to get to.

It has (3) pickups that can be turned on or off by a switch for each. On the

volume button, you can press it for Humbucker mode or single coil. Many different sounds.

I don't use the lock down screws, however, I could then fine tune at the bridge.

For the money, you cannot not beat it. Plus, it is unusal and your guitar buddys will

not know what it is.

Contact me if you want pictures, vharris@sunbeltdata.com

Victor

Archived