Gibson Brands Forums

big crack?

gene

Hello,

I just got this guitar a few months and i was kinda curious how the inside of the guitar looked like.

So i screwed it open realy carefully, and saw a big crack where the screw was mounted.

Is this normal for a guitar?

Greetings Gene.

post-42152-049526300 1338386025_thumb.jpg

post-42152-083783400 1338386036_thumb.jpg

Maybe not normal, somebody got a little zealous drilling them out, or later with the screw going in. Maybe not exactly normal, but not a crisis either. Get some Elmers carpenters glue and shoot a little into the crack and put the cover back on. Remember that you did that, because next time you take it off that screw will give you fits, but it'll be just fine.

I know that the internet is going to tell you that you just crapped the resale value all over the place and that all of your tone is being lost though that crack. Ignore them.

rct

Maybe not normal, somebody got a little zealous drilling them out, or later with the screw going in. Maybe not exactly normal, but not a crisis either. Get some Elmers carpenters glue and shoot a little into the crack and put the cover back on. Remember that you did that, because next time you take it off that screw will give you fits, but it'll be just fine.

I know that the internet is going to tell you that you just crapped the resale value all over the place and that all of your tone is being lost though that crack. Ignore them.

rct

Thanks for the reply,

but i didnt do it because i didnt hear any crack or something.

And for a 1150 euro guitar i think this is unforgiveable and realy lousy of gibson.

I got an 200 euro guitar that is perfect from the inside no cracks and soldered properly. (the les paul is soldered perfect too.)

Greetings Gene

Thanks for the reply,

but i didnt do it because i didnt hear any crack or something.

And for a 1150 euro guitar i think this is unforgiveable and realy lousy of gibson.

I got an 200 euro guitar that is perfect from the inside no cracks and soldered properly. (the les paul is soldered perfect too.)

Greetings Gene

No offense bro, but it's a guitar. If it lives the normal life of a guitar, it'll go on out there and get the crap kicked out of it until that crack is the least of its' worries. If that is unforgiveable, you might want to find another hobby. And don't buy a car or house either, dangerous worlds in which to buy stuff.

Good Luck with it. It isn't a big deal at all, I've bought new guitars with far worse things wrong with them, and nobody ever heard those flaws, not live, not on a record.

rct

I had this on a Les Paul custom. The builder wouldn't know he'd done it as it would have happened when he screwed the plate on.

As another post said. Just run some wood glue in the crack.

Not a biggie as long as the the crack doesn't grow out from under the cavity cover.

Well it already has.

If i would touch it to hard the piece of wood will be broken off.

It is realy lose already.

Greetings Gene.

No offense bro, but it's a guitar. If it lives the normal life of a guitar, it'll go on out there and get the crap kicked out of it until that crack is the least of its' worries. If that is unforgiveable, you might want to find another hobby. And don't buy a car or house either, dangerous worlds in which to buy stuff.

Good Luck with it. It isn't a big deal at all, I've bought new guitars with far worse things wrong with them, and nobody ever heard those flaws, not live, not on a record.

rct

Well if i buy something that expensive i want it to be perfect.

But how much do you tink the resale value would be lowered?

Greetings Gene

Take a chisel, chip it off carefully, be done with it. Cracks grow until they are gone. Once you knock the piece off, it'll be gone and you won't worry about it anymore. If you feel strongly enough about it, the company MAY warrant that. I sincerely doubt it, but they might. Dealer might help out as well.

rct

Well if i buy something that expensive i want it to be perfect.

But how much do you tink the resale value would be lowered?

Greetings Gene

Nothing is perfect, and guitars especially. Their imperfections are what make them perfect. It shouldn't bother your resale value at all if you are concerned with such things. I am not.

rct

Nothing is perfect, and guitars especially. Their imperfections are what make them perfect. It shouldn't bother your resale value at all if you are concerned with such things. I am not.

rct

Yea i know i should just be happy then with the imperfections :)

And no iam not concerned i were just wondering.

And another question, how should i apply the glue?

Thanks for your help.

Greentings Gene.

Just glue it together.

I'd take out the screw first, though, and tap in a new thread when the glue cures.

P.

Good tip^^

I will do that, but do you have any type of glue you would recommend?

yikes Gene, Bummer - that's sort a nasty...

I would try to also sneak some glue in there, you may want to try to use some masking tape or something to hold it in place while it dries.

I would think just a standard white wood clue would be all you'd need

And another question, how should i apply the glue?

get some good wood glue.

get a small device; like a tooth pick since its small and slim.

dip the end of the tooth pick into the glue, then dab the end of the toothpick into the crack

keep this up until you think you have enough glue into the crack.

then use something to squish the two pieces together and hold in place with tape.

P,S, Gibson would not have removed the cover once it was on and shipping, dealer shouldn't be getting in there either before sale.

So its quite easy to understand that something could have been over tightened and missed QC since it was under cover.

get some good wood glue.

get a small device; like a tooth pick since its small and slim.

dip the end of the tooth pick into the glue, then dab the end of the toothpick into the crack

keep this up until you think you have enough glue into the crack.

then use something to squish the two pieces together and hold in place with tape.

P,S, Gibson would not have removed the cover once it was on and shipping, dealer shouldn't be getting in there either before sale.

So its quite easy to understand that something could have been over tightened and missed QC since it was under cover.

I agree with this. But I'd cut a strip of wood to fit across the area to push the crack together after glueing. Then leave it for a few days and drill the hole again.

I disagree with just about everyone here. If the place I purchased it from had a return policy that still covered the guitar I'd return the guitar and get a new one. If I was out of date on the return policy than I would contact Gibson on what to do. Although it seems like a small problem you bought the guitar under the impression that it was not defective with a wood crack.

Unfortunately, it'S A sign of the times. If it plays well, then fix it and keep it. You could try calling Gibson to see if they will fix it if you're not comfortable doing it.

I agree, it shouldn't have happened and it' your right to return it, if that is still an option.

Archived