Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar project help with pickups

Rabs

Hello...

Well I have decided to mod my LP DC faded.. I have already resrored it so its been worked on and I dont mind now cutting into it if I have to but thought id ask here first.

So what I want to do is replace the Bridge P90 with some kind of Humbucker (uncovered). It will either be a Burstbucker or maybe I was even thinking about a 500T cos I love those hot pickups...

So if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. I seem to remember once someone showing me some kind of mini humbucker but that looked like an uncovered Humbucker and fits into a P90 hole, but I cant seem to find them.. Or maybe if they sell them, I was thinking about those new mini humbuckers they are using on the 70s Tributes they sound pretty good from what I have heard.

Cheers.

(also, will the wiring be different? is it easy to get around?)

Found this but have no idea if its any good or not? http://www.at-the-creamery.co.uk/p90-sized-humbucker.html

Hello...

Well I have decided to mod my LP DC faded.. I have already resrored it so its been worked on and I dont mind now cutting into it if I have to but thought id ask here first.

So what I want to do is replace the Bridge P90 with some kind of Humbucker (uncovered). It will either be a Burstbucker or maybe I was even thinking about a 500T cos I love those hot pickups...

So if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. I seem to remember once someone showing me some kind of mini humbucker but that looked like an uncovered Humbucker and fits into a P90 hole, but I cant seem to find them.. Or maybe if they sell them, I was thinking about those new mini humbuckers they are using on the 70s Tributes they sound pretty good from what I have heard.

Cheers.

A friend of mine has open minis in his early '80's pro deluxe (originally had p90s) they are Duncans. He said they were in it when he bought it so I don't know if they were originally covered or not (they don't have trim rings so I think they would have been coverless from new). Just checked Duncans site and didn't see any open coils listed there. I work with my friend so I can get him to check for any identifying marks and get back to you. As for wiring they would wire up the same as your p90s, a hot and ground or if they are 4 wire twist two together (most twist pairs are green and white, but does vary by manufacturer, think Duncan might be red and white) and then wire the hot and ground as per usual.

Hello...

Cheers.

Found this but have no idea if its any good or not? http://www.at-the-creamery.co.uk/p90-sized-humbucker.html

Sorry Rabs, just got a text from my friend and his pick ups are Dimarzio's (must be getting old as the memory can't always be trusted and its been a while since I've seen the guitar). He didn't know the model number. They do sound good thought as we are currently working on an email recording project (too hard to get free time synchronized to actually jam these days too).

GFS pickups are great and for the money they can't be beat,

TV Jones makes P90-sized humbucking pickups too but they are pricey.

If you are looking for the gain equivalent to a 500T I am not sure you will find that in a mini.

Sorry Rabs, just got a text from my friend and his pick ups are Dimarzio's (must be getting old as the memory can't always be trusted and its been a while since I've seen the guitar). He didn't know the model number. They do sound good thought as we are currently working on an email recording project (too hard to get free time synchronized to actually jam these days too).

Thanks for finding out for me anyway,. Much appreciated :) [thumbup]

I have a LP DC special that I put a pair of GFS hot alnico mini's in, they make several P90 sized HB

Mini's http://store.guitarfetish.com/Mini-Humbuckers_c_126.html

and Dream's 180 which look like the Dimarzio's http://store.guitarfetish.com/NEW-Soapbar-180-Humbuckers--Fits-P90-Soapbar-Guitars_c_276.html

soapbar180_black.jpg

Will look into those.. thanks alot :)

Archived