Gibson Brands Forums

O J Jumbo .

suburude63

Amazing guitar !!! This is my second one I foolishy let the first one go!!!!!Subu
Get you a lock and key!

I played one of these a few years back. One of the nicest --at least, if old-time Americana is your bag.

I have a Fullers J-35 and love it. I was wondering how the OJ sounds in comparison to the J-35?

One year at the Gibson Homecoming, the owners of an OJ, a Fuller's J-35, and a J-45 (TV, I think, but it might have been before there were TVs) got together for a tonal comparison. What I (the OJ owner) came up with as a description of the results was that the OJ was to the J-35 as the J-35 was to the J-45. In other words, the OJ was like the J-35 but more so. (The other two agreed that they could see what I meant, but maybe they were just being nice.)

-- Bob R

One year at the Gibson Homecoming, the owners of an OJ, a Fuller's J-35, and a J-45 (TV, I think, but it might have been before there were TVs) got together for a tonal comparison. What I (the OJ owner) came up with as a description of the results was that the OJ was to the J-35 as the J-35 was to the J-45. In other words, the OJ was like the J-35 but more so. (The other two agreed that they could see what I meant, but maybe they were just being nice.)

-- Bob R

Bob, can you expand on this for those of us who have never played a J-35 or an OJ? What are the tonal differences between a J-45 and a Fuller's J-35? I have in my head from reading on the inter-webs that the J-35 would be more focused on the fundamental note with a drier sound and perhaps less sustain. Is this correct?

Subu - Congrats! I would appreciate your thoughts also on how the OJ differs from the J-45 tonally.

And, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!?!?!?! (other than your avatar!) [tongue]

Yeah Sub, that first one you let go, you got from me. I kinda wish I still had it.

This new one you have is it brand new or a used model ?

2005 mod. same with all the way across the box. Great sound !!!! Deep but so resonant!! I will get some pics up soon! Used bought it here in Spokane ! Subu

Bob, can you expand on this for those of us who have never played a J-35 or an OJ? What are the tonal differences between a J-45 and a Fuller's J-35? I have in my head from reading on the inter-webs that the J-35 would be more focused on the fundamental note with a drier sound and perhaps less sustain. Is this correct?

Subu - Congrats! I would appreciate your thoughts also on how the OJ differs from the J-45 tonally.

And, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!?!?!?! (other than your avatar!) [tongue]

Pics coming~ :-) ! The OJ is deep! sounding! Same bracing as the AJ ! Very loud guitar. Hog of course! I bought my first one from a a guy on this Forum! He may chime in on the sound an proction. I have had many Gibson esc guitars . Kopps .Walkers ect. This a keeper!!!! My sound and look! subr

That J-35 description sounds about right. I'd say that the OJ is even drier and more focussed. If you've ever heard a sound comparison between a Jumbo (or early J-35), a late-ish J-35, and a J-45, that might also give you the idea. An OJ (at least the ones I've played, which is only 3 or 4) is not as extreme as a real Jumbo (of which I've played a grand total of one) -- most often described as "raw" -- but it's a sizable step in that direction from a J-45.

-- Bob R

Recently bought 2004 used OJ with Adi top. My first Gibson and it is outstanding.

I tried new J-45 TV but was not too impressed.

I also like the neck which is similar to vintage martin-like feel.

Dry, Deep, yet good ringing...a bit of opposite to "dry" but it has both.

Because I liked it so much, I started to look for the original...but wow, they are expensive!!!

Because I liked it so much, I started to look for the original...but wow, they are expensive!!!

If you like Jumbos, you should check out converted early RSSDs. If you find one you love, it will save you enough money to buy a nice J-35.

-- Bob R

I have a much traveled '35. In the news of the weird, I think it is the best bluegrass guitar I have ever played. And we have a bunch of prewar bones. It is really close, but over the past year I have put an old herringbone away several times.

I must say this guitar has a lot of repairs, which has I think effected its tonal balance -- our all -original '36 equivalent is a bit too raw for bluegrass.

IMG_6571.jpg

L

I have a much traveled '35. In the news of the weird, I think it is the best bluegrass guitar I have ever played. And we have a bunch of prewar bones. It is really close, but over the past year I have put an old herringbone away several times.

I must say this guitar has a lot of repairs, which has I think effected its tonal balance -- our all -original '36 equivalent is a bit too raw for bluegrass.

IMG_6571.jpg

L

Tom,

What are you wearing on your right forearm, presumably to protect the guitar's finish?

Tom,

What are you wearing on your right forearm, presumably to protect the guitar's finish?

Indeed -- I always ware an old sock. I'm not what you would call a slave to fashion, but it was really hot on that stage -- the curse of summer bluegrass.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Hi, everyone. I am not sure this is the right place to post (very new here).

I just noticed on my 2004 OJ that the some bridge pins are damaged and need to be replaced.

Do you know which one works? 3" or 5"?

What I have now looks like recent martin slotted ebony pins...which may be 3".

But it may need to be 5" if this is a OJ re-issue.

Thx for your support.

Hi, everyone. I am not sure this is the right place to post (very new here).

I just noticed on my 2004 OJ that the some bridge pins are damaged and need to be replaced.

Do you know which one works? 3" or 5"?

What I have now looks like recent martin slotted ebony pins...which may be 3".

But it may need to be 5" if this is a OJ re-issue.

Thx for your support.

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest starting a new thread for your question. It will help keep your question from getting lost, and will keep this thread from getting off topic. Also, pics of your current bridge pins may help (I have never heard of 3" or 5" bridge pins!!!)

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest starting a new thread for your question. It will help keep your question from getting lost, and will keep this thread from getting off topic. Also, pics of your current bridge pins may help (I have never heard of 3" or 5" bridge pins!!!)

OK. Thx, I will.

I meant 3 degree or 5 degree taper, sorry.

I've got one from 2005, great guitar that immediately establishes it's presence. I also like the '34 style small sunburst.

Blaster ! Do you have a photo of your OJ. Mine has the sript "The Gibson" on my head stock. On the back it has historic . subu

Archived