Gibson Brands Forums

New (old) pedal project

Dub-T-123

photo-292.jpg

I got this old beat up Memory Man in the mail today (scored it on the cheap). It needs some love for sure. As you can see one of the pot shafts has broken off so I need to replace it and get some new knobs. It also has some kind of weird two prong jack installed on the side and a hole drilled for an extra jack on top.

I'm going to have to see what's going on with the wiring in here because it's obviously been messed with.

I'm thinking about adding a regular power jack and a mic input as well.

Yup. Kinda ridiculous huh? I'm turning the feedback control with needle nose pliers until I get a pot to replace this one.

It does work though and it sounds pretty awesome. It's definitely got that analog delay sound. The chorus switch is really weird.

Great find Dubs! I've seen these memory man way back in the late 70s and early 80s. Yes, plastic shafts were pretty norm back then. My suggestion is trying to recondition it back to its once glory days, back to stock instead of modding it......installing a mic input. I hate to see old, great pedals that stood time being defaced....just my ipinion. I've modded so many great Fender and Marshall amps back in the 80s and today regret having it done, though a couple of them were modded by some legendary modders, Jose A. and Lee Jackson, both I've known personally.

Thanks bluesguitar yeah this is one of the earlier versions before they added the modulated delay. This has modulation but when you switch the modulation on it automatically switches the delay to a very short time and you can't change the time. It makes a really nice chorus.

I'm gonna start out by repairing it back to its former glory and decide whether or not I mod it from there. It was really cheap and has already been messed with (though it seems to be back to stock now) so I'm not too concerned with its "vintage" value or anything.

I bought a Memory Man Deluxe first when they came out and it was an amazing pedal but sadly one of the ICs burnt out in it when it was just a few months old and when the store I bought it from sent it back to Mike Matthews for repair,it got lost in the mail so they gave me a fabulous deal on an Ibanez DM1000 Digital Delay to make things right,I still have it and it's absolutely incredible for just about any delay/modulation effect.

That sucks that your Memory Man broke! I would really like to get an old Deluxe Memory Man for the awesome modulated delay. As you can see this is just the "Memory Man" not the Deluxe version.

The chorus setting is interesting because you can control the feedback still so you can make all kinds of cool oscillating sounds.

Archived