Gibson Brands Forums

Planning to buy a J45

lblack

Wow, that was fast! You went straight from "it may be a few months" to "I bought it today!".

Now, that's a familiar story for a lot of us, isn't it? [biggrin]

Why wait? Life is short. If you find it and like it, buy it!

Now, that's a familiar story for a lot of us, isn't it? [biggrin]

Why wait? Life is short. If you find it and like it, buy it!

Yes, you are right! When I found it I bought it!

Pics to follow.

NGD + 1! My J45 True Vintage at home!

Note in the picture of the back: you will see the strap attachment peg. Keith at Bailey Brothers Music installed the strap peg for me. The J45 True Vintage apparently does not come from the factory with a peg. I can only speculate that straps back in the day were tied to the end of the neck. I selected a Gibson strap in the store and wanted the peg to be added.

I find the sound of my J45 TV is even better in my home setting. I am going to enjoy this guitar.

post-43170-036365700 1338653334_thumb.jpg

post-43170-020738100 1338653336_thumb.jpg

post-43170-078023300 1338653337_thumb.jpg

OK, the J45 TV is now mine! I went back to Bailey Brothers Music and it was still there. After playing the J45 True Vintage and then comparing to other guitars, I kept going back to the J45 TV.

Thanks again for all responses to my topic.

Wow .... Congratulations on several levels!

First, it is so nice to see another "mature person" who is really into learning guitar at a "mature" age ... I'm having a similar experience, being older than you. That also means we are accustomed to spending $$$ on our hobbies and the cost of nice toys does not deter us. Heck, to my wife $2500 for a guitar doesn't seem much compared to a $25,000 bass boat or a Chev Pick em up truck.

Second, I played that very guitar at Bailey Brothers just a week before you bought it. I intended to buy it myself at one point except I'm waiting on another similar TV that is on order to compare with the J45TV. More on that if it happens .... If not then I hope the next J45TV they have is as good as yours. You have a wonderful instrument.

Third, Keith is the finest of Gibson salesmen and you were lucky to have him as a guide. I can't tell you of the countless hours he has spent with me adding to my education.on Gibsons.

Enjoy your new TV!

I'm hoping that rings true in my house in the next day or two. ;)

It will, it will, but I will be interested in a comparison between the Woody and your new J-45.

I've had a fairly extreme case of GAS for an SJ--either late 40's-early 50's vintage, or new--for quite some time now, and the urgency of relieving that GAS is getting stronger......

Haven't bought a new guitar in about 3-4 months, which is a long time to go when you suffer from terminal GAS..... [biggrin]

I bought the J-45 standard for the dry woody sound that I loved from James Taylor. The mahogany works well for singing accompanyment, but sometimes I find myself wishing for the deeper sound of the rosewood model for instrumentals. Sigh. I won't give up the standard so I will probably end up with a second J-45 , the rosewood Custom. I've got to learn not to fight my urges.

• 4 weeks later...

Today marks one month that I have had my J45 True Vintage. It is fantastic -- plays and sounds great. I kept the factory strings and factory setup for my first month. I have been extremely pleased with the J45 TV.

Today was Gibson Day at Bailey Brothers Music. I took my J45 TV in and had Gibson to setup and change the strings. I had D'Addario EXP16 Lights (.012-.053 gauge) installed, and asked for the action to be lowered. Mark did a fantastic job.

My J45 TV plays and sounds even better now! I am 'more extremely pleased' with my J45 TV now!

Today marks one month that I have had my J45 True Vintage. It is fantastic -- plays and sounds great. I kept the factory strings and factory setup for my first month. I have been extremely pleased with the J45 TV.

Today was Gibson Day at Bailey Brothers Music. I took my J45 TV in and had Gibson to setup and change the strings. I had D'Addario EXP16 Lights (.012-.053 gauge) installed, and asked for the action to be lowered. Mark did a fantastic job.

My J45 TV plays and sounds even better now! I am 'more extremely pleased' with my J45 TV now!

Good to hear you didn't lose volume while the action was lowered.

Many happy hours to you both -

I am glad you could stop by today! Mark Blasko is a great guy and really knows how to set up a guitar. One of the great guys working for Gibson these days.

I am also glad you are loving the guitar! I am sorry I couldn't talk to you a little more today. There were just so many people and so much going on! Swing by again when you can. We can have our normal, relaxed meeting. :)

Archived