Gibson Brands Forums

Mini Humbuckers to P90's

RUSHian

I just bought the new 70's Les Paul Tribute Gold Top. I bought it for the new body style features (weight relieved body, volute etc), . I may switch out the Mini Humbuckers to P90's. Will the P90's go in without routing the body?

That's a good question because the mini's they are using are different than the traditional mini's...at least from what I have read.

The first mini's were EPI made, and they adopted a ring that was made from a P-90 cover to allow the mini to be used in guitars with a route for a P-90. After they ran out and made new parts, they kept this dimension for nearly all Gibby's with the Epi style mini, but Firebird pups had thier own pups and thier own mounting (as well as being a diferent meansurement).

I think an easy way to check would be to get a P-90 cover and compare, or take the ring out of the guitar and take it somewhere and compare to a P-90.

Note also that if the route of the guitar is the same as a typical P-90 (which fits also a standard mini with it's associated "ring"), and you wanted to mount a mini that was different dimensions than a standard mini, you could always make a ring for it by using a P-90 cover.

From what I gather on what some have posted, these pups are different in construction than a typical mini. They SEEM like they are made more like a firebird pup. One website states they are made to be cheaper to make. But whatever they are, they could suck, or they could be really good, or they could just be different. If I had one of these axes on the way, I would be looking forward to hearing them.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the responses. I received the P90's and they will fit!

Hey. how did the swap go? are you much happier with the p90 sound? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to a 70s tribute. the bridge mini humbucker is ok but the neck is muddy as and they both have no bottom end. Mines sposed to have 500k pots, they say gibson on them but I wonder if they're cheapo and should be replaced for more spectrum of sound?

Did you replace your minis with the soapbar style p90? (I'm new to p90s)

Marcus

Interesting! I have 2 guitars, with mini-humbuckers...

A 1976 Gibson LP Deluxe, and a Epiphone AIUSA Sheraton.

The pickups, on both, are nowhere close, to "muddy!"

More articulate, open, and rounder sounding, than "normal"

full sized humbuckers, would be my evaluation.

CB

+1

good to know CB. These miniHB are the new ones from the cheaper 70's tribute so that could be the problem. when I play the guitar acoustically it sounds and feels great. I have a mahogany ibanez s-series with v1 Humbuckers that sound fat and awesome. the mini in the neck pos sounds 50% of the ibanez-no definition. Live it sounds ok when I'm mixing in the tone from the bridge pickup- the bridge has a nice drive to it. There's not much bottom end in both pups which makes it a very tight sound eq'd right and turned up!

I'm thinking my next step is a Lindy Fralin P-90 with hum canceling in the neck. In my searches one 70s tribute guy said he replaced the pots and the tone improved a lot with the standard minis. but the pots are sposed to be 500k already so I'm not sure. ps. I don't know anything about caps, I'm new to swapping pickups, I've been trying to improve a MIM Jaguar with some Seymore Duncan Alnico 2's with no success tonewise. I love the look of the cherry firebird. If I can get the tone anywhere near my s-series I'll have a new main axe:)

It's great to hear what you guys have messed around with!

Marcus

Interesting! I have 2 guitars, with mini-humbuckers...

A 1976 Gibson LP Deluxe, and a Epiphone AIUSA Sheraton.

The pickups, on both, are nowhere close, to "muddy!"

More articulate, open, and rounder sounding, than "normal"

full sized humbuckers, would be my evaluation.

CB

Archived