Gibson Brands Forums

Score!, but what to do with vintage cots

TommyK

I've been looking for camping cots for a couple years now on garage sales.

I found 2 wood and canvas cots for $2.00 each.

The canvas is white. The seller said he thought they were from WWII. I am not sure he was qualified to make that assessment.

These are similar to what is seen on the TV show M*A*S*H, but with white canvas instead of olive drab.

I intend to use them for camping. The wood appears to be in good shape. Should I do anything with the wood? Varnish? Wood preservative?

Tommy...

I've owned and/or used such stuff a number of times through the past 60 years. I dunno what the military may have done with 'em, but I just kept 'em clean and as dry as possible. A very light rubbing of vegetable oil happened sometimes during the fall when putting them up for the winter - but that was assuming the wood was quite dry at the time and the light rubbing was invisible to the eye or touch. Then in the spring just a wipe-down.

But... I'm sure others did otherwise.

m

With cots of that vintage,I'd be more inclined to be concerned about the integrity of the canvas.Materials such as canvas can appear to be quite good and sturdy yet it could very well rip if someone were to lie on it.

The canvas is white. The seller said he thought they were from WWII....These are similar to what is seen on the TV show M*A*S*H, but with white canvas instead of olive drab.

When I was a kid (1950s), we had a couple of cots from WW II, and I remember the canvas as white, could be wrong, though, that's a long time ago now.

Brad

With cots of that vintage,I'd be more inclined to be concerned about the integrity of the canvas.Materials such as canvas can appear to be quite good and sturdy yet it could very well rip if someone were to lie on it.

Yeah, I intend to 'stress test' it by napping on it, to see if the canvas is still viable. If not, I'll re-canvas it. I looked on E-Bay and found an almost identical copy of it with an asking price of $150.00. I think I did well. I don't intend to flip them, just make good use of $4.00 worth of new-to-me camping equipment.

I may be mistaken, but I believe white canvas signifies hospital cots. and also U.S. Navy cots.

I have a real treasure, an ancient wool blanket handed down by my grandpa....it's army BROWN, and paint-stamped U.S.Army 1917 !!

What division was grandpa in? Mine was in the 86th, "Blackhawk" divsion from Wisconsin and Illinois.

Quite the heirloom. Keep the moths away from it. My grandmother had my grandfather's WWI uniform hung in a closet for years. At some point she realized that moths had eaten the thing almost completely up. The only thing salvageable was the division insignia and medals. [crying] My cousin has possession of it, he thinks. It is in a trunk of stuff he got when his dad passed, 3 years ago. Last I knew, my cousin has yet to open the chest! I have some time off this summer. I should make an appointment to see my cousin and open that chest up.

I know a man who was buried, in the 1970's, in his WWI Army uniform.

Archived