Gibson Brands Forums

VHT Special 6 Ultra Vs Jet City PicoValve

dem00n

I'm really torn between these two amps. I'm going to sell the Kustom Defender i got for Christmas soon, i never bonded with it but it seems everyone else who plays it at my house has! Ive played both these amps and i really like them and i was looking for the output of you guys which one would be the best to get.

Sadly, i haven't played any of these with pedals and i was wondering if you guys know which or if both handle pedals really well?

Thanks!

Jet city: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-PicoValve-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-106068174-i1529327.gc

VHT: http://www.guitarcenter.com/VHT-Special-6-Ultra-6W-Hand-Wired-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-H73580-i1884892.gc

I have a Jet City Pico 1/2 stack........I'm getting a second set to run in stereo.........It's a great amp.........

Overall, I think the VHT is a better match for you dem00n...........

I own the Special 6 head. However, I have never heard the Pico, so I can't give you a comparison.

I can say the Special 6 is awesome. I love that you can swap in any octal power tube. I ditched the 6V6 for an EL34. I am gonna try a KT66 next, but I really like the EL34's crunchiness

As for pedals, it does take them well if it's set clean, but it has a lot of gain, so I often find I am plugging straight into it. It also has a nice, foot switchable, boost - basically a tone stack bypass - that works really nicely for solo boosts.

As for the two channels, I find the "Ultra" channel too high gain for my tastes. Better I like to dime the gain on regular channel - killer rock tones there.

Also the power scaling is excellent - the "watts" knob. You can really take it down to a whisper if you want and still get a nice tone.

I have both the jet city Pico head and the VHT ulta 6 combo. On my Pico it looses clean after the 3 o'clock pos on the gain with the master on 10 which is the sweet spot for me, nice crunch, I really like a KT66 in it. The VHT has more head room/clean. has a fx loop, foot switchable boost, overdrive input, high low power setting plus the adjustable watt knob. the Pico does have better tone controls T,M,B than the VHT's one tone knob, but the VHT does have 2 other EQ adjustments that work good with the Ultra channel. VHT has an adapter to run a EL84 which can also be used in the Pico, it's like a THD yellow jacket for a third the price. If I had to go with one I would choose the Ultra 6.

I got mine here http://www.instrumentalley.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=vht

Hmmm... The Special 6 head looks nice. Now, how can I disguise one of those as an old wastebasket?

Is it tube erectified? Guess not. No thing, though.

I got $88.00 in Paypal and I just bought an amp last week. :unsure:

Looks nice. Musicians friend has a 10% off coupon that seems to work. [drool]

Wife's going away later this week, right when big brown would be showing up. [thumbup]

Hmmm... The Special 6 head looks nice. Now, how can I disguise one of those as an old

One thing about the Special 6 is that it is quite large for a 6 watt head. I plopped it on top of a 1-10 cab where my Tiny Terror used to sit and it hung off the edges! It's like 20" wide. I wish they could have made the box smaller. Still love it though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a VHT Ultra 6 in mint condition for $175.00. I just stuck in a 6V6 and now I'm checking out an EL34. It's not the most exciting looking thing, but it sounds pretty good so far. I'll mess around with it some more and let you all know how it is.

[thumbup]

Archived