Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Guys, what would you say if...

FenderGuy1

You'd be a club owner's worst nightmare......(well, anyone with a Marshall is one anyways...)

It would be cool. Bands don't do that anymore...They either have small combos onstage, or isolated cabs backstage.

And one more thing...

WHAT GIGS?[biggrin]

Are you realy sure your ready for gigging ???? and what is this spooky fasination with all things old, ive never seen a kid like it, most strange. Hopefully you will grow out of it or is it just a bit of attention seeking? A little perental control and guidence wouldn,t go a miss me thinks ](*,) and Q floodgates.

Take a pair of ear-plugs and don't expect to be able to hear anything for a few days afterwards.

Serious answer? I'd just suggest you kept the vol at a comfortable level and enjoy the "I Rock!" display you are giving the audience.

P

Are you realy sure your ready for gigging ???? and what is this spooky fasination with all things old, ive never seen a kid like it, most strange. Hopefully you will grow out of it or is it just a bit of attention seeking? A little perental control and guidence wouldn,t go a miss me thinks ](*,) and Q floodgates.

I'm sorry but I can't understand a @#$%n' word you typed....

So what if he digs vintage stuff? I'm tired of kids his age that think the best tones come from a POD! Which most manage to make them sound like pissed bees! I give him props for getting a tone that doesn't sound like a compressed can of bees! And he doesn't use a lot of distortion, either.

I don't think he's ready for gigging either, but that doesn't mean the rest of your post makes sense....

I'm not trying to stick my nose into things, but I think he needs to listen to more music besides Hendrix and SRV (not that Hendrix and SRV are bad...But he's got a lot more to hear), and start playing along with records and learning his favorite tunes and solos note for note. And he needs to learn the chromatic and pentatonic scales so he can know the fundamentals of what I call the basic blues-rock solo. Some good listening material for him would be the first two Zeppelin records. He'll learn all about the first-position pentatonic scale that way, as I did. I also recommend Rush's first album (the one that echoed Zeppelin I....), and yes, even the first three KISS records and the Ace Frehley solo album. Not to turn him into a Rush freak or an Ace freak, but because those records are full of the first-position pentatonic scale. I think it would be good to start off learning Ace's solos to learn about that scale, which I can see him doing cause' he already has stated that he doesn't mind KISS. It's a good start, especially for improvisation skills. And then move on up to Zeppelin, and then the first Rush album. The order really doesn't matter. He can listen to whatever the hell he wants, but I just recommended those. And AC/DC as well!

I also recommend Robin Trower, Ten Years After, Savoy Brown, and anything Mike Bloomfield ever did. I can easily see him cranking out Trower-ish licks!

And, as stated before, playing along with records is the way to go. He doesn't need tabs. Playing along with records will greatly help his timing. And that's how all the guys we look up to and listen to learned.

And last but not least, he should start paying more attention to his rhythm playing. Learn the different chord shapes and voicings, suspensions, arpeggiated patterns, etc. In all earnest, to be a great soloist, one must be a great rhythm player.

I say go for the 3 Marshall stacks only then you need a big car or a van...trouble is these days you never get to use more than one cab turned up to about 3...just saying...

well i love marshalls so i am gonna get some old Plexi heads i can find in someones basement

I found my Crate head in a basement... Maybe you'll get lucky...

They said they might have more gear. I'm getting payed to clean their basement/garage in the next month or so. Let's see what I can unearth. (Will make a thread if anything good pops up)

I'm fascinated by the way things used to be. I think technology is contributing to the degradation of society, especially social networks. Does it make me a bad person, no.

Honestly, I've always loved old cars and electronics. What kind of got me into guitars was a yardsale in Pennsylvania in the summer of 8th grade. This man had equipment he claimed was used at Woodstock (I didn't believe it, the man seemed mental) anywho, he had a Fender Stratocaster with a British flag paintjob, and that image stuck in my mind and brewed for about a year, until I bought myself a Stratocaster.

There's nothing wrong with him wanting old amps and ****, he'll just be disappointed when he hears how limited a Plexi can be. (depending on your genre)

Not a problem at all and you might find them somewhere especially since when you line them up like that. Usually only one is a real amp the rest are usually just empties or spares just for decoration. Nobody uses walls of amp anymore and honestly they never did it was almost always empty stacks just lined up 100% for show.

Not a problem at all and you might find them somewhere especially since when you line them up like that. Usually only one is a real amp the rest are usually just empties or spares just for decoration. Nobody uses walls of amp anymore and honestly they never did it was almost always empty stacks just lined up 100% for show.

Some guys run stereo....

But you're right. Most bands have their actual amps backstage with iso-cabs.

But a wall of phony Marshall amps makes a rock show that much better!

Ah, it's all smoke n' mirrors ain't it!

well i love marshalls so i am gonna get some old Plexi heads i can find in someones basement

Yeah I'm going to do the same thing but with 59 Les Paul bursts... I figure I'll just get 3 or 4 of them from peoples basements fix them up and sell them. I may keep one for myself that I can pluck on it once I'm retired from the money I made selling the others...

Yeah I'm going to do the same thing but with

'59 Les Paul bursts... I figure I'll just get 3 or 4 of them from peoples basements fix them up and sell them. I may keep one for myself that I can pluck on it once I'm retired from the money I made selling the others...

Good idea, i'll never sell my marshalls when i get them, they will be '69 Plexi's haha

Archived