Gibson Brands Forums

Joe's Still Da Man!

cookieman15061

Just got back from the Joe Walsh concert and he hasn't lost a thing. He's still one of the smoothest lead and rhythm players ever and he does it all with a great sense of humor and sober.

As always his slide playing was top notch and he seems to favor mostly duesenbergs and strats these days although he did pull out a flying V for one tune.

He did explain that he only got drunk once in his life.......and it just happened to last 25 years.

Also told a great story about the first time he played here in Pittsburgh opening for the Who. He said the only problem was Keith Moon took a liking to him and they spent the next 2 weeks trashing hotel rooms.

Great show by a one of a kind musician.

Rocky mountain way changed me inside. It made me love rock. A lot of the young players here should listen to 'the smoker you drink the player you get' album. It's not all about speed and shredding. There's some great guitar sounds and playing on that album. His slightly earlier stuff is great too. His live album is worth a listen.

Joe is one of my all time favorites. The lead lines his mind comes up with are from an other world. He is also just a masterful talent when it comes to knowing how to use effects. He taught Frampton about he talk box and his use of phasers and flangers on songs like The Confessor and Life In The Fast Lane can be right out in front and still not sound gimmicky.

He also has an amazing sence of humor. I mean the guy named his greatest hits records "Look What I Did!" and "Little Did He Know". Funny [lol][lol]

Joe is one of my all time favorites. The lead lines his mind comes up with are from an other world. He is also just a masterful talent when it comes to knowing how to use effects. He taught Frampton about he talk box and his use of phasers and flangers on songs like The Confessor and Life In The Fast Lane can be right out in front and still not sound gimmicky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3XSI_xwvss

He also has an amazing sence of humor. I mean the guy named his greatest hits records "Look What I Did!" and "Little Did He Know". Funny [lol][lol]

and they're all Boss pedals (take that you boutique fans).

Glad to see he's still got it. My very first real concert was The James Gang, somewhere around '71 or '72 (pretty sure I was 13). Great show, I was in awe. Funk #49 and Walk Away were two of my earliest songs I picked off record, very proud I was able to get them!

Just got back from the Joe Walsh concert and he hasn't lost a thing. He's still one of the smoothest lead and rhythm players ever and he does it all with a great sense of humor and sober.

I remember seeing a special on network tv at least a decade ago about the "Hell Freezes Over Tour". When they interviewed him at that time he commented that he had been sober 10 years. So now, assuming he hasn't picked up a drink, he has to be sober close to 20 years, maybe more. What an accomplishment. [thumbup]

I am not going to get this right so I hope someone else that saw it will correct me. But on one of the Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festivals Joe introduces one of his songs with something to the effect, "God I'm sick of this song but you all like it so I am going to play the da#% thing"! [rolleyes]

" When they interviewed him at that time he commented that he had been sober 10 years."

Me thinks Joe was telling a little fib there because they put him in rehab right before that HFO concert to sober him up for the long tour that was to follow.

Yeah, he didn't clean up till' 1994 or something like that.

" When they interviewed him at that time he commented that he had been sober 10 years."

Me thinks Joe was telling a little fib there because they put him in rehab right before that HFO concert to sober him up for the long tour that was to follow.

Yeah, he didn't clean up till' 1994 or something like that.

don't get the wrong impression because of my bad memory. I probably quoted the interview wrong. The point is he has stayed sober now a lot of years.

He's still got it!

The only thing that puts me off is his "extra" musicians. Backup singers and stuff.

I wish he would wing it in a three piece nowadays! He doesn't need any help. All he needs is a rhythm section!

He did it in James Gang! So why not now!

He's still got it!

The only thing that puts me off is his "extra" musicians. Backup singers and stuff.

I wish he would wing it in a three piece nowadays! He doesn't need any help. All he needs is a rhythm section!

He did it in James Gang! So why not now!

Joe is the rhythm section.

You mean he wasn't playing his Carvins at all?

Joe's always been in my top five because he makes everyone he plays with "better". I have yet to hear him solo though.

Going to go see if he's coming home or not with this tour?

Well he made Don Henley and Glenn Frey seem better....

Don Felder was a part of that too though...

Archived