Gibson Brands Forums

Songbooks And Tablatures

J.R.M.30!

Wow no answer, I guess their are a lot of self taughts out there, a lot of mono-learners indeed! I learned guitar chords from E-Z method book, which is rather old. I can't remember who's it by, sigh. [smile]

i was very "in your face" with my replys, i'm sure others will come along with more helpful replys B)

Well "Steve", I think maybe, just maybe, JR wanted (gasp) an OPINION, which we can then either embrace or ignore. Thats how song suggestions, book sugesstions, movie suggestions (see a pattern here?) work, and maybe, just maybe, we try something a little out of our comfort range based on a endorsment by, oh, lets say, a FORUM LEGEND who, it might appear on the surface anyway, might have a vast experiance that they would like to share. Do we all have diffent tastes? Of course. Do we want to eat baby food all our lives and never try a burrito? Or even steak? The fact we have diff tasts is not a reason to limit ourselves, its a reason to expand our knowledge and experiance. Like DEm00ns "explore music" thread, diversity is the key to understanding and acceptance. So, Steve, what a good songbook? I personally cant play, so I dont know how "good" they are, but I own "Classic Rock", "Picture Chords" and "The Beatles best". Classic Rock had a lot of good songs in it, I just cant speak to the accuracy.

Well "Steve", I think maybe, just maybe, JR wanted (gasp) an OPINION, which we can then either embrace or ignore. Thats how song suggestions, book sugesstions, movie suggestions (see a pattern here?) work, and maybe, just maybe, we try something a little out of our comfort range based on a endorsment by, oh, lets say, a FORUM LEGEND who, it might appear on the surface anyway, might have a vast experiance that they would like to share. Do we all have diffent tastes? Of course. Do we want to eat baby food all our lives and never try a burrito? Or even steak? The fact we have diff tasts is not a reason to limit ourselves, its a reason to expand our knowledge and experiance. Like DEm00ns "explore music" thread, diversity is the key to understanding and acceptance. So, Steve, what a good songbook? I personally cant play, so I dont know how "good" they are, but I own "Classic Rock", "Picture Chords" and "The Beatles best". Classic Rock had a lot of good songs in it, I just cant speak to the accuracy.

read above :rolleyes:

I can get a faster answer from my 201 year old great great great grandpappy, jeesh! Oh wait he's dead, but I bet he could. Just say the dang answer to begin with pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

ok, these guys tab book is note for note and i recommend it to you...this is a video tutorial of one of my fave tracks...awesome stuff, pay attention... B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axa5amu2bp0&feature=share

There most be SOME teachers out their that can share what instruction booklet they use jeeesh.

May I suggest " Posting For Dummies ".....???

( In jest, of course [flapper] )....

You misspelled dumbies but anyway. What is the sites link, hmmm. What's in jest mean I'm a dumby remember.

[lol] .........I'm not the best to ask...Any actual guitar studies for me these days is jazz........[blush] ....

Indeed...could be an interesting thread...?

Well there is Mel Bay of course, and I believe even a 'guitar for dumMies'- let's get this right. I could recommend 'The Guitar Handbook' by Ralph Denyer as a very good reference. Just buy a few books that look like the sort of thing you want and take from them what you can get. The monstrous 5-volume 'Rock Performer's Guitar Method' by Jim Gleason is still available and can even be downloaded. Plenty of stuff out there.

Yeah im also mainly self taught.. I think most instruction books are the same.. Once you learn the basic chords your off...

And these day Id say its alot about videos.. I cant say I have any in particular thats are special but heres one anyway :)

Archived