Gibson Brands Forums

The "Real Truth"About Jimi

bonzoboy

This week I picked up a book that I was hoping this guy would write since the day Jimi died.Jimi's younger brother Leon has finally broken his 40 year silence and has written a book about Jimi.Ever since Jimi's death I have wondered how a "Janie-come-lately"could gain control of Hendrix LLC when she had absolutely nothing to do with Jimi while his real siblings Leon,Joseph,Pamela and Kathy got SFA.It always seemed suspect to me as all this happened while Jimi's father Al was in failing health and his mental state could have been deteriorating too.I hope that Leon's internal demons have been beaten and that he is lucid enough to give an accurate account of what really happened in Jimi's Inner Sanctum .Maybe now we'll finally why Jimi's blood relatives got a raw deal and continue to live in or near the poverty level.The title of the book is Jimi Hendrix-A brother's story.

that?

I'm not going to try and prove you wrong. I respect your opinion!

Just because a guitar player doesn't like Hendrix doesn't make it the end of the world. Here's a fun fact: EVH wasn't so hot on Hendrix either. He liked him, but he wasn't the biggest fan.

I will always love and respect Hendrix. But I do think he's a bit overrated, especially compared to Rory! I recall reading about someone asking Hendrix what it was like being the best guitarist in the world. Hendrix replied, "I don't know. You'd have to ask Rory Gallagher." EVH said the same thing about Alex Lifeson! Here's some guys that never get their due (besides the aforementioned Gallagher!): Gary Moore, Scott Gorham, Ace Frehley (putting makeup and smoking Les Pauls aside...), Mike Campbell, Tommy Bolin, Matthias Jabs, Snowy White, Jake E. Lee, George Lynch, and Alex Lifeson. I have always felt that George Harrison never got the respect he deserved as a player, either. My favorite Beatle, and I look up to him as a God. You could say that he is my sweet lord! I get emotional every time I hear Something or While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I don't think any other player has done that for me.

I'm sick and tired of people at my shows comparing me to Hendrix. Just cause' I do a few of his songs. I do them MY way, though. It's blues-based music. Meant to be improvised.

Hendrix died too young. There is no telling of what he could have done in the last 40 years.

But we should bask in the many great players this world has been filled with since 1970. There is more to rock/blues guitar than Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Blackmore, EVH, etc.

So if anyone bashes you for your opinion then screw em'!

Hendrix was a pioneer, Rory was not. There's no comparing the two. I could get across the Ocean a lot faster than Ferdinand Magellan, but that doesn't make me a better explorer.

Rory may be better at running through scales, but Jimi was so much more than a lead player that it wouldn't be a fair comparison. He was a master of improv, he had very creative chord voicings, and he was playing a lot more than just the blues.

Hendrix was a pioneer, Rory was not. There's no comparing the two. I could get across the Ocean a lot faster than Ferdinand Magellan, but that doesn't make me a better explorer.

Rory may be better at running through scales, but Jimi was so much more than a lead player that it wouldn't be a fair comparison. He was a master of improv, he had very creative chord voicings, and he was playing a lot more than just the blues.

+ 1

Just do not compare the guys.

Each of them gave us something special that no one else will ever do.

Rory played with so much passion and feeling that will still have to be matched!

Steve,you don't have to get your nose out of joint because some people like Jimi,not once in my post did I mention his ability but was speaking entirely about the truth about how he was being ripped off right,left and center-before and after his death-would probably come to light finally.Let me go on record saying that Rory Gallagher always has been one of my favourite guitarists and one of the best concerts I ever attended was one he played at in our university student center and I was lucky enough to sit 2nd row center. Maybe you prefer Rory because he's white,frankly I couldn't care less if he was plaid but there's still no denying that Jimi was a monster talent as was Rory but they really represented different genres of music.Rory was more jazz/blues oriented such as on his fabulous song "They Don't Make 'em Like You Anymore" while Jimi although heavily into blues also took it a good few steps further,into a territory that nobody else had the talent or foresight to do.

As someone already mentioned Jimi had a large amount of respect for Rory and his playing too.

You may be tired about hearing about Jimi-so be it-but there is absolutely no denying his innovation and talent.Eric Clapton-who many have elevated to deity status-summed up Jimi best when he said:"Jimi was a gift,who stayed with us a while and then went back with the other gods." If Eric Clapton has that to say about another guitarist,you can rest assured that he's a massive talent.

BTW I don't quite get your reference to Jimi being good thanks to Ernie Isley.Ernie was 10 years Jimi's junior and was only 8 or 9 when Jimi played with his older brothers.Ernie himself has said many times that Jimi had showed him various fretboard tricks,so if you're implying that Ernie was one of Jimi's mentors you are way off the mark.

Boy you just can't make a post here without someone telling why whoever you're talking about sucks?

Posted about the Queen Montreal concert from 1981 when Freddie was still at the top of his game playing on Paladia right now was pretty good awhile back and someone just had to chime in and say why Queen sucks . . .

Don't get it but I also don't think Jimmy is rolling over in his grave because EVH wasn't that fond of him.

I just wished like hell we could have all experienced Jimmy with all the modern electronic toys. But at least we got to experience him.

Take it easy on Steve! I feel for him.

He and I always get along. So why can't it be that way with everyone else?

Perhaps his post was a little over the edge, but he has a right to dislike Hendrix. He dislikes him for a good reason.

I agree with both sides of the coin. I agree with Steve obviously (even though I love Hendrix), but I also agree with the others that saying someone sucks on a thread about said musician isn't appropriate.

Steve, I understand what you go through so I accept your opinions.

I would never say that a band sucks on a thread about that band. But we all have rights to our opinion.

And as far as EVH not being the biggest Hendrix fan, he grew to be a big fan later on, and I'm sure Hendrix would have loved him. So shut up and play yer guitars!

Man am I jealous . . . bet it was good!

Every one has good nights, and off nights. I saw him on July 5, 1970 in Miami. He was so right on, it was incredible. [thumbup]

Archived