Gibson Brands Forums

Help! - Epi 635i - Broken bridge block - Floyd Rose tremelo

Does anybody have any idea where I can find a replacement bridge block for the Floyd Rose-style tremolo that was factory-installed on my 1991 Epiphone 635?

As you can see, the block just broke off. It's like it was made from cheap pot metal, and it finally just crumbled.

Three problems:

1) This is an old-style Floyd Rose system without locking string saddles, so the strings thread through the block, just like a Stratocaster, and the block itself holds the ball ends. In other words, a pretty important part. So the guitar is absolutely worthless without it.

2) The tremolo is actually stamped "MFG FLOYD ROSE PATENTS" so I'm not sure it's even a genuine Floyd Rose tremolo. I've read that Kahler made these, or even Steinberger. But if they did, theirs don't look like this.

3) The spacing for the two mounting posts is 70-72mm. Every newer Floyd Rose tremolo (and others) has post spacing of 74 mm. So a new replacement won't fit.

I have to find this same-style block — somehow, somewhere. Any suggestions? Gosh, I hate to just throw the guitar away ...

FloydRose1.jpg

Gee that is a shame. However there is hope that this guitar will live again. I am not sure but that looks like an epiphone "bender" trem. Personaly I would fit a new aftermarket trem. There are trems to fit most guitars available at whammi world. It is also possible to get various Wilkinson trems with different post and string spacings, it is also possible to pull out the old trem posts and glue in a Dowell and re-drill new holes to fit a modern rose. can you post up more photos of the guitar and the trem rout

I strongly doubt you'll find a replacement part like that, though I have been wrong once or twice before.

I think the best option would be to get a Floyd Rose Special, and have the body routed out (or do it yourself) to install that. The special, by the way is exactly the same as a FR Original, just made overseas with lesser quality materials.

You can get them here.

EDIT:

This could be another option.

Unfortunately, you arent going to find a replacement block for this tremolo unless you find another Bennder with a good block. Your best bet is to replace it with a FLoyd Rose. I replaced mine with a Floyd Rose Speed Loader. The Bennder that I had was an Epiphone-made version without the Floyd Rose patents, but I think they are all the same as far as design.

That being said, there is a little bit of modification required to install a Floyd Rose as a replacement. The screw hole centers are about 1/8th inch narrowers spaced than FR bolts. No biggie, because you have to bore out the holes anyway. The Bennder has screws, whereas the FR has bolts + inserts. Once measured, you will see that the insert holes have to be drilled just to the outside of the current screw centers. Take some measurements and do it right the first time. You only get once shot at it.

Do NOT try and replace the locknut system if it isnt neccessary. FR locknut screws are located in a different position than the Bennder locknut screws. I think they are closer together. Anyway, they dont line up to the current screw holes. I had a problem where one lined up and the other is located directly over the truss rod cavity. Keep the old locknut if you can.

The other bit of modification you will have to do is to bore out the tremolo arm cavity. Its not quite wide enough to allow the arm mechanism to go through the body. I just used a drill to widen it a bit. Probably not the correct way, but its under the trem so no messiness shows through if its not exactly a clean bore. Just do a little at a time and keep checking it until it fits. You dont want to take too much out of the cavity so that the trem doesnt cover the hole anymore.

You can leave the current claw & springs installed if you have them. They work fine with a Floyd Rose. You may have to adjust the springs to get the tension correct for the new trem. This may require a combination of new and old springs, all new springs or just the old springs depending on your guitar. I think that I ended up with a combo of the two sets of springs.

• Upvote 1

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a same tremolo with the same block that broke (after 30 years). I was looking for replacement without luck. I ended up modifying an aftermarket floyd rose by using dremel and expanding one of the edge holes to ensure that the studs with 71 mm spacing would fit. As such, I made no modifications to the guitar whatsoever, only risked $100 for the tremolo, but in the end it worked out well and it is working like a charm. The guitar has the super low action and it is playing like a dream. If I had to do it over again, I would purchase one of the better floyd rose tremolos instead of the one I did. Also had to saw off the half of the hex nut shown on the bottom of the tremolo as it was too large for the existing cavity. There was no impact to tremolo arm operation. 

flyingv5.jpg

flyingv2.jpg

flyingv1.jpg