Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LarryUK

MiM Strats

I've come across a MiM Strat for sale. As new.

Are they worth it or are they just a badged Squire?

It's a good price, so I just want some opinions

Anyone got one?

Anyone got one?

I have played a few MiM strats, just out of curiosity when I have been in guitar shops - I am talking a couple of years ago though - they were all good and to be honest, I would have happily bought any of them if I had needed another strat.

btw, I have an early 80's japanese Squier which plays better than the USA strats that were alongside side it in the shop and I have one of the first japanese '62 re-issue strats - another fantastic guitar. Basically, if it's good, I am not fussed about where it came from. If it not too far away, I would go and give it a try!

good luck,

Manse

Anyone got one?

Las they are great guitars although having owned a number of mim and U.S. strats I can tell the difference. Many insist there is none and that they've found mim starts that play better than anyof their American made cousins. Most of the ones I bought got their insides and pups replaced with something better but everybody is different depending on the sound you are looking for.

Any Mexican made you can get for under $300 U.S. is a good price for a good quality axe.

I have one bought very used some years ago. It is a much better guitar than it gets credit for. If the price is good, and you like the way it plays, or if you like Strats in general, get it.

I think they are a big step up over the lower end import Strats and I think you will like it a lot.

mark

It's only £90. That $138 at today's rate. I'll go and get it then.

At that price, even if it's a dog, how can you lose? Don't know which model it is, or when it was made, but here's the reply I wrote before seeing your last post...

Re badged Squire, No! They are Mexican made Strats. Which model is it? They make several. Current manuf. are quite good as far as I can tell. Just bought a new Classic 60s Player Strat, these were designed in the Custom Shop and have '69 Strat Custom Shop p'ups, wonderful guitar. So happy with it, I bought a new MIM Road Worn 50s Tele. Also awesome. Both were made in March of 2012 (per Fender Customer Service, based on serial numbers).

The finish on these, both are polyurethane on the neck, The Tele is relic'd Nitro on the body, the Strat is Polyester in a gorgeous Sonic Blue.

The current Classic 50s Player Strat (second on my "next" list) has USA vintage reissue p'ups, was also designed in the Custom Shop and the middle p'up is reverse wound and reverse polarity. Tops on my "next" list is the 60s Road Worn Stratocaster in 3 tone sunburst. Tex Mex p'ups, great sound and feel from everything I've read.

The Classic Series 50s and 60s Strats seem pretty nice too. Haven't played them or heard them in person. Cust, Svc. tells me the p'ups are a MIM product very similar to the American Vintage Reissue p'ups.

I used to be against Fender guitars made outside the USA. No more. My one (so far) MIM Strat fits right in with the others, my '07 American Standard, '08 American Vintage 62 Reissue and '07 Clapton Signature Series Strats. I consider it no lesser Instrument.

Las they are great guitars although having owned a number of mim and U.S. strats I can tell the difference. Many insist there is none and that they've found mim starts that play better than anyof their American made cousins. Most of the ones I bought got their insides and pups replaced with something better but everybody is different depending on the sound you are looking for.

Any Mexican made you can get for under $300 U.S. is a good price for a good quality axe.

I can tell the difference too, it is easy, I prefer the wider neck on American Strats, the wider fret wire and the rounded edges on the fretboard.

The neck profile on the MIM Strats is what a lot of folks may prefer and they refer to it as "it plays better" skinnier, chunky at the couwboy frets and flatter as it goes doen the neck, I have a Squier 51 with this profile and it play very well too.

But yea for that price, get it.

Didn't realize it was so cheap...that's not even a question. You can get 3 x that for the parts!

mark

Yup.. a MIM Strat is good.. I had a MIM Deluxe and it was better than any USA Fender I tried...

MIM in general IMX means lower quality and lower price in exact terms compared to MIA...

I have no complaints whatsoever with a MIM Jazz bass...considerably cheaper than the US equivalent

Squiers(note the cool spelling)...have represented excellent VFM for a long time now

Initially, as far as I know, MIJ and of superb quality...then 'moving around' for cheaper build costs...Chinese nowadays

And of great quality at a low starter price

They do a 'beginners' Tele with one S/C and one H/B which is almost too good to be true...

V

:-({|=

I have 3 MIM Fenders-2 Strats and a Tele and they are all excellent guitars.One Strat is a '00 lefty that I converted to right for doing Hendrix covers and it has exactly the same quack as a MIA Strat,the other Strat is a Jimmie Vaughn and I picked it after trying 8 or 9 other Strats.Even though I had budgeted to go as high as $3000,the $900 J.V. was the one that spoke to me as it sounded just like an "L" series Strat-my favourite Strats.All in all you can't go wrong with an MIM Fender especially those made after 1999 as there were inconsistancies in the quality of some pre-2000 MIM Fenders but there were also some really great ones made in this era too.

Don't fall for the hype that if you buy MIM you have to swap out the pups and electronics etc. as this is just another urban myth that's being perpetuated by people who don't know diddley.

I have 3 MIM Fenders-2 Strats and a Tele and they are all excellent guitars.One Strat is a '00 lefty that I converted to right for doing Hendrix covers and it has exactly the same quack as a MIA Strat,the other Strat is a Jimmie Vaughn and I picked it after trying 8 or 9 other Strats.Even though I had budgeted to go as high as $3000,the $900 J.V. was the one that spoke to me as it sounded just like an "L" series Strat-my favourite Strats.All in all you can't go wrong with an MIM Fender especially those made after 1999 as there were inconsistancies in the quality of some pre-2000 MIM Fenders but there were also some really great ones made in this era too.

Don't fall for the hype that if you buy MIM you have to swap out the pups and electronics etc. as this is just another urban myth that's being perpetuated by people who don't know diddley.

No it's not a myth not everyone likes the stock pups and buying the cheaper mexys makes for a nice canvas to experiment and find the ones right for you without having to go in over a grand. If you think there's no difference between the the USA and mim fenders than good for you brother.

They are good solid guitars/ excellent for the money but not the same.

For that price, yup........MIM Strats are nice......I do prefer my MIA Strats though............

( I agree with Cookieman on his points.....Then again, I always do....:-k ).....

No it's not a myth not everyone likes the stock pups and buying the cheaper mexys makes for a nice canvas to experiment and find the ones right for you without having to go in over a grand. If you think there's no difference between the the USA and mim fenders than good for you brother.

They are good solid guitars/ excellent for the money but not the same.

I agree that they're not the same....

MY MIM CAN WIPE OUT ANY AMERICAN STRAT EVER BUILT!

I was exaggerating.....

But most of the USA Fenders I have played do nothing for me. Except for a select few, which happened to be the nicest Fenders I have ever played next to my MIM Strat.

I met a guy who had a Squire Stratocaster that played and sounded better than most MiM and USA Strats. But I had a MiM a few years back that played decent; unfortunately, I just let it sit for so long and I figured that someone would enjoy it more than what I was. Now I wish I kept it... Oh well, not like there are any shortages!

I got my MIM a few months ago, really love it, plays sweet and gets a loads of play. I wouldn't mind a MIA someday, but this does me for now.

_strat-1.jpg

Bought a Squire for my kids about 7 yrs ago....crap. Bought myself a MIM...nice but hardware was so so. Then bought myself a USA and the overall quality and tone was noticeably better. My son played a nice G&L strat ...a tad better than my old MIM, not quite as nice as his USA. My daughters MIM tele is quite excellent.

For that price, yup........MIM Strats are nice......I do prefer my MIA Strats though............

( I agree with Cookieman on his points.....Then again, I always do....:-k ).....

Lol

I don't think a guy can make an across-the-baord distinction between an a Mexican Strat and an American one. Certainly you can't lump all the MIM Strats into one catagory or "value" level. You have to be specific when refering to a MIM Strat, as they make high quality as well as cheap ones in Mexico.

I honestly don't know exactly what Fender is doing NOW, but I do know that as recent as about 5 or so years ago, the distinction between American Strats and Mexican Strats was so blurred you couldn't say one was purely one or the other. The factories in the USA and Mexico are closely linked, with the guitars having work done and parts from BOTH factories.

Slight rant here: a "made in USA" Strat would be in reality an "assembled in USA with some foriegn materiels" situation. When work was first done in Mexico, a big thing was the painting/finishing, and the case was American parts where shipped there, finished, and shipped back to make a USA guitar. That works both ways, with some parts that were started in the US and shipped to Mexico for work and final assembly. A lot of the tooling that ended up in Mexico actually making some of the parts was from the closed-down US factory. Same stuff? Sure, why not?

A real rant here is to say that the MAIN motivation for Fender moving production to Mexico is/was to make the same guitars with easier environmental laws and cheaper labor, and perhaps an unfair accusation would be to get around the hiring of illegal aliens working in the US and simply move the factory to where they are legal to work. I say "unfair" because while I don't hold PROOF of who is legal and who isn't, I am from SoCal and am well aware this is the case in a lot of situations. I also say this with the knowledge Fender did not pay a lesser wage or hide workers who were not legal to take advantage of them, but rather the case would be a lot of the workforce employed would be average guys that were either Mexican Nationals here legally, Americans, or illegals all doing the same thing working for the same wage. Why not avoid the problem by moving the factory?

But the POINT is that what Fender would call an "made in USA" guitar is NOT a product made from purely American labor and parts, with American wages. And they have blurred the line so much that any Fender product that says "made in USA" does not actually mean or gaurentee it is an American product without actuall KNOWING where it was made...unlike Gibson and Martin.

But as for quality, it is true that Fender reserves it's "AMERICAN" badge for the upper-end guitars, and there (at least was) Mexican Fenders that were the same exact guitars as previous American ones just made at a different location. But not all Mexican Fenders are made with the same components and tooling and woods and parts.

Never heard anyone complain about the quality of the Mexican Fender guitars. I have not owned one, but I've had a 90s Mexican neck on one of my Strats for years now. It's a solid neck, and I have had no issues. I can't speak specifically to the bodies, and I generally replace the pickups and pots anyway. Overall I think they are excellent for the price.

I got my MIM a few months ago, really love it, plays sweet and gets a loads of play. I wouldn't mind a MIA someday, but this does me for now.

_strat-1.jpg

Is that one of the 70s tribute models?

Nice necks and good bodies. I actually preferred MIM when the MIA had that S-Switching gimmick in them. Nowadays I'd take an MIA over a stock MIM, but I'd rather take a really nice MIM like a Powerhouse or Deluxe Players Strat and replace the guts with Dimarzio pots or whatever you prefer.

An MIM for $138 takes no consideration at all. Even if you have to replace the neck you'll break even.

I also have an MIM Buddy Guy sig that I have no desire to modify at all. It's just perfect!