Gibson Brands Forums

Tried a new 2012 Standard today

Rabs

If I read the original post correctly, the concern about the neck shape is based on a single example.

You may find that the next Standard that you play suits you perfectly, or not. I mention this because I have had the chance to play at least 10 different Standars, and the assymetrical necks have felt different on each one. I think that going assymetrical has forced Gibson to put a little more manual effort into the final shaping, and that's going to introduce variation.

Don't make any judgement on Gibson necks based on any single model. Keep looking, you might be surprised.

Yeah I intend too :).. my shop are currently really low on stock and are expecting a big shipment soon..

I still now think its down to that compound fretboard more than the actuall shape of the neck.. we will see :) (its not like I can get one right now anyway, but with it being the new standard hopefully I will have a few years to look for a good one)

I have just bought a new 2012 with coil taps,I have been looking at les pauls for about a year and a half and have tried everything from a studio,classic ,triditional pro, custom and once I played the new les paul I had to have one,I am one that likes to buy used but did not want to weight for one to show up for sale used,they just repond and react to your every action,I sold off some of my other guitars to buy it as far as weight it fills heavy to me,but I love it,the neck feels good,to me it sounds better that any of the others that I have played,once I played one it was just a matter of what color do I want,had to order one in the blind because the local stores could not keep them in,now that my collection has been cut to 5 guitars they are schecter c1 classic,2012 les paul,prs custom 22,usa fender strat and a alvarez yairi,I love and enjoy all of my guitars becauce they all sound and play different,the way I look at it you only live once so if you like it ,get it

I have just bought a new 2012 with coil taps,I have been looking at les pauls for about a year and a half and have tried everything from a studio,classic ,triditional pro, custom and once I played the new les paul I had to have one,I am one that likes to buy used but did not want to weight for one to show up for sale used,they just repond and react to your every action,I sold off some of my other guitars to buy it as far as weight it fills heavy to me,but I love it,the neck feels good,to me it sounds better that any of the others that I have played,once I played one it was just a matter of what color do I want,had to order one in the blind because the local stores could not keep them in,now that my collection has been cut to 5 guitars they are schecter c1 classic,2012 les paul,prs custom 22,usa fender strat and a alvarez yairi,I love and enjoy all of my guitars becauce they all sound and play different,the way I look at it you only live once so if you like it ,get it

What colour did you go for in the end? They are all so nice.. I think though I was going to go for either the trans amber or the fireburst one..

For me the reason I didnt get one is that I have a 2008 and mine is Wine Red which is one of fave colours and they seemed to miss for the 2012s? I was thinking of selling the 2008, but after trying the 2012 I am happy with what I have. :)

I think also a part of it was that I was soooo excited when I read the specs of the 2012 that I over hyped it in my own mind.. When I actually played it I jsut thought.. you know what im just gonna keep my 2008.

My next electric guitar I think will be a ES 336.. (and maybe a Junior Special £600 and it comes with neck binding)

HI

When I got my les paul standard, I went to 3 different guitar centers in ohio. 1 in akron (which is more of a buget minded store ) and 2 in cleveland. I played every lp standard off the wall. Even some for over $4000.00? Actually I was looking for the right CLEAN tone? Either I didn't like the neck feel, or the weight or, the tone or color. Then my wife and I went to woodsys in kent. My wife said how about this one? Thought it was too expensive. The salesman was very fair on the price. We left with a Gibson les paul standard limited edition in sante fe sunrise 50's neck. Its beaufiful, like my wife. She bought it for me...... I'll keep them both.....

Ya gotta play them all in those stores, you might miss the right one !

I get so many compliment on this guitar

post-30504-008534800 1341246924_thumb.jpg

I believe every guitar is unique in someways...even though they have the same model number and year!...after all, it's hand built in its final stages and wood being natural is not always the same. All the more reason to play as many as you can until one hits you like love and lust! [woot]

I believe every guitar is unique in someways...even though they have the same model number and year!...after all, it's hand built in its final stages and wood being natural is not always the same. All the more reason to play as many as you can until one hits you like love and lust! [woot]

[thumbup] exactly

Archived