Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe What is the sound like?

88mmll

Please help.....2001 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe for sale, used, for $1,600.

Looks good for fret access.

What is the rub on these? I have a 2003 J45 Rosewood that I love.

Will this likely sound so inferior that I will leave it in the case?

Please describe the sound, design of this model.

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac189/kristopc/2009-11-14164803.jpg

I'm baffled. You have a rosewood 45 from the era I mentioned in my PM. Are you specifically looking for a vintage instrument, or does the rosewood 2003 have a wider nut width than 1 11/16? Or are you just looking for a spare?

I'm baffled. You have a rosewood 45 from the era I mentioned in my PM. Are you specifically looking for a vintage instrument, or does the rosewood 2003 have a wider nut width than 1 11/16? Or are you just looking for a spare?

Hi, Sorry about the gist of my search. You are correct that my 2003 J45 Rosewood is a wonderful instrument. I am just wondering if there was an even higher grade sound wise? Maybe I have the action too low and maybe I need to play .013 medium strings? Maybe I need to experiment with different strings? My Gibson has great playability and real good sound but I am open to a similar player with outstanding sound.

Tomorrow night I will be playing a showcase with it and I am sure it will perform and sound fine. Thank you for the INFO. It really helped. After you and others posted I went and played 8 new Gibsons at the store. I realize mine is really nice. A vintage trip to Normans and other LA vintage places will now be my next step. So now I will keep my antenae up while also getting a confirmed satisfaction with my 10 year old, opened up, Gibson J45 Rosewood.

Got a new Gibson SWD with a fair price in exchange with a nice Takamine LTD 2006 ...had to softer the frets edges a little on the Gib though. Now I enjoy a cheap Martin DX1E that gave me what I was looking for the fist time I tried it and this SWD that I had to "train" like a wild horse to be able to get the best of both worlds: fantastic Martin subtle sound with a lot of bottom and this unique sound that only Gibson can produce. Tried Bob Colosi bone saddles on both but realised that the original tusk ones were the best (according to my taste)...Lot of brands and models on sale...one has to try...I never bought a guitar without trying it.

I just sold a SWD Studio EC after having it 2 yrs. Really nice guitar. Plays great when properly set up (don't they all). It has a much more focussed sound than your J45, which has a more open, airy resonance. I sold mine, in favor of a J45 Custom, not just for the sound difference but I prefer a short scale.

Archived