Gibson Brands Forums

Hands seem to be improving

bonzoboy

Lately I have began to notice a slight day by day improvement in my hands,about a month after my 3rd Remicade infusion.Each day my tolerence to playing seems to increase and my ability to play grows by a minute or 2 every day,that doesn't seem like much but after a year it could mean over 6 hours-which would be plenty for gigging.I keep trying Voodoo Child(slight return),Machine Gun,The Star Spangled Banner and Angel but my fingers still don't cooperate like they should and consequently my speed has decreased by at least 80% and now I have to go over the notes at a glacial pace and try to gradually increase the tempo. Now I am getting some idea how frustrating it must have been for Django Reinhardt and Les Paul to get back in the saddle after their hands became afflicted with disabilities.

Anyway I intend to keep plugging at it until I'm satisfied with my playing and not what others think because even though people feel that they are doing you a favour by praising your playing they are in reality giving you a false sense of confidence when they should be telling you to keep at it.It's going to be a hard uphill climb but my desire to get playing as well as I used to is overwhelming so I have to keep at the finger/hand strengthening exercises until I can do at the very least a 3 step bend.In order to play authentic Hendrix covers (or Albert King or Buddy Guy for that matter)you have to be able to do very deep bends to sound either bit convincing and this requires very strong fingers especially.My Chiropractor has prescribed a silica sand filled bag for me to squeeze and manipulate while watching TV etc. to keep up the strength in my fingers and to keep them limber.With any luck,within a year or so I may be satisfied enough with my playing to get out gigging again.Several fellow musicians have expressed interest in getting a British Invasion era cover band up and running when I get my playing up to my standards-some of these guys I've played with before and I know that they are seasoned and committed players.I really miss playing professionally,after gigging since I was 15 it has just gotten into my blood,I also miss being set upon by hordes of adoring fans....lol.

Hey, that's good news. My wife has arthritis, and I know that anything she can do to get her joints loosened up a little helps a lot. I hope you keep improving.

Django had to play up and down the fretboard with what, 2 good fingers? So you're in good company! Look at how Les Paul played when he was older - kind of sliding up and down the fretboard.

Hopefully you can play enough to have some fun at it and get to playing regularly.

[thumbup]

That's great D........An idea for reconnecting your mind with your hand; In addition to your regular practice and strength building,

perhaps try doing scales, etc, without putting pressure on the strings; ie, just put enough pressure on the strings to feel them.......

I do this quite a bit in order to get extra practice in without stressing my wrist muscles...My mind learns new notes and riffs

without the actual muscle stressings......Yeah, I'm middle aged, and I want to practice without over doing it...Just an idea........

Archived