Gibson Brands Forums

Friend of a Friend

J.R.M.30!

A friend of mine bought a 2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Worn Cherry. After a year the guitar seems to be losing some of its finish and the wood grains are starting to look like cracks. He's kept it in a non-air conditioned room so maybe the room isn't hummidified enough. Any explanations are appreciated! :^o

The problem with the faded gibsons is that there realy isn,t much in the way of a finish,just a sealer coat I think. My faded v has worn badley but I like the look, most of the color has gone from the neck and also the top of the body under my arm. Not sure about the cracks but mine is pretty well down to the wood. Hope that may help [thumbup] [thumbup] Hear in UK we dont seem to suffer from humidity like folks in the USA and hotter countrys.

Hi J.R.M. 30,I think that you may have answered your own question-partially anyway.Cracks in the finish or "checking"can also be caused by sudden and radical temp changes such as being brought indoors into a warm room after being out doors or in a cold car long enough to become cold to the touch.Taking a guitar outdoors on a cold day without a case can also cause checking in the worst kind of way and the warmer the house is ,the more pronounced the checking will be.

Archived