Gibson Brands Forums

Jubellie.. ! Reason to celebrate June 6th..

merseybeat1963

Reason to Celebrate..

On June 6th 1962..50 years ago in England..the Beatles did they're first recordings for George Martin of Love me Do..and captured this hypnotic sound. Thank You God for the Beatles.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEEC-yhr_Ks

June 6th, 1944 allied troops left England for the liberation of France. In so doing, freedom is won throughout Europe and Nazi germany is crushed. Thank God for our troops and being able to live in a country where we can enjoy our freedoms and have the opportunities to play our guitars and make the music that we enjoy freely.

June 6th, 1944 allied troops left England for the liberation of France. In so doing, freedom is won throughout Europe and Nazi germany is crushed. Thank God for our troops and being able to live in a country where we can enjoy our freedoms and have the opportunities to play our guitars and make the music that we enjoy freely.

Amen. Without the events of June 6, 1944, the events of June 6, 1962 would never have taken place.

Thank God for both of them, although I would never equate one with the other.

They were so much born out of that War..and grew up in the ruins.

My 3 visits to Liverpool starting in 1991 showed some evidences of that still back then.

The thought of that day and what had to be done by..as my best friend who is Iranian puts it...Good Americans..and dropping on that beach ,is forever worthy of a tear.

Were we...... ever that young?

Probably not......

Looking at Paul then and now reminds me that I don't look in the mirror any more than necessary. Whatever happened to that kid who first heard the Beatles on a transistor radio in a 1958 Chevy? (we didn't have a radio in that car: my father was too cheap) I was 16, and on a date with a gorgeous green-eyed blonde from Texas named Suzanne (shocking: I can't remember her last name anymore, but I'm sure it will come to me eventually).

What were these young English lads with the long hair (!)all about? If you think of "Love Me, Do" as groundbreaking, how uninspiring was most other popular music at the time?

A few months later I heard Dylan for the first time. My head has been in a spin ever since.

I, too, have wire tied a transistor radio to the dash. Back then you could as the dash was steel and would hold up a sizable portable radio. Bailin' wire was just the ticket.

Ahhh.. my prized possesion magically changed from a fat tired Columbia bicycle to a little Japanese 6 transistor the size of a pack of Camels. AM only. I guess the music of our youth defines us, imprints itself on our impressionable sponge like music appreciation genes. Our parents version of the Beatles was Frank Sinatra. They hated "Rock & Roll" and it's icon - Elvis the Pelvis! I guess our grandchildren's musical awakening will be Justin Beiber. For me, it would be impossible to replicate the way I felt when I first heard The Beatles. Back tthen, there were two types of music - The Stones or The Kingston Trio. The old "Ford VS Chevy" dillema. Fortunately, most of us here can embrace both now. One of my favorite music books today is ' Classical Guitar Arrangements for The Beatles".

Ahhh.. my prized possesion magically changed from a fat tired Columbia bicycle to a little Japanese 6 transistor the size of a pack of Camels. AM only. I guess the music of our youth defines us, imprints itself on our impressionable sponge like music appreciation genes. Our parents version of the Beatles was Frank Sinatra. They hated "Rock & Roll" and it's icon - Elvis the Pelvis! I guess our grandchildren's musical awakening will be Justin Beiber. For me, it would be impossible to replicate the way I felt when I first heard The Beatles. Back tthen, there were two types of music - The Stones or The Kingston Trio. The old "Ford VS Chevy" dillema. Fortunately, most of us here can embrace both now. One of my favorite music books today is ' Classical Guitar Arrangements for The Beatles".

I read somewhere of a study which concluded that the music people were very passionate about between the ages of 15-25 would be the music they judged everything else against (most usually negatively).

There ain't anything wrong with nice arrangements of the Beatles in any form. ;)

Must confess, I even have a cd of The Beatles top hits ..... on BANJO !

That would be a stretch for me......

While the concept of the popular singer/songwriter didn't begin with the Beatles, they elevated it to a position that can make it hard for us to listen to covers of their songs without being hyper-critical.

There are exceptions, of course, and each of us has favorite covers of Beatles classics.

My personal favorite is Sweet Judy Blue Eyes' version of "In My Life". Of course, I've been madly in love with her for 45 years, so I'm somewhat prejudiced.....

Archived