Gibson Brands Forums

oiling baked maple

XPAULPITT

I'm sure this has been covered before but looking through these forums takes forever, but... I was wondering if it is better to oil the baked maple boards or just leave it dry. I am very happy with the color and most people have been oiling them only to darken them up. I would prefer to leave it dry but is it better to oil it. Will it dry out if I dont?

It is no different than any other maple board. It doesn't require oil. Just wipe it clean after playing. If it gets dirty, sticky or funky, just clean it with a slightly dampened cotton rag (naptha works as a great cleaner). You can then use guitar polish or wax to make it slicker after it is cleaned.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-791339.html

naphtha seems to be the choice in this thread for cleaning.

then there's this linky here:

http://www.muzique.com/schem/fret.htm

Maple being such a hard wood, I don't think it would need to be hydrated like rosewood. When's the last time you saw a maple neck on a fender crack due to not being moisturized? How about never?

It is no different than any other maple board. It doesn't require oil. Just wipe it clean after playing. If it gets dirty, sticky or funky, just clean it with a slightly dampened cotton rag (naptha works as a great cleaner). You can then use guitar polish or wax to make it slicker after it is cleaned.

Not being A D!cK but...

WRONG!!!

Maple being such a hard wood, I don't think it would need to be hydrated like rosewood. When's the last time you saw a maple neck on a fender crack due to not being moisturized? How about never?

1.Unoiled Maple WILL crack and split, just look at an old maple cutting board that has been neglected....

2.That is because most fenders are finish sealed at the factory.

3.The Baked Maple boards are not sealed(at least the few I have seen), they NEED hydration or eventually will crack and split,

Lemon oil/mineral oil will do the trick and it WILL darken the wood giving it more of a rosewood like appearance.

It's not a Strat, Steve!

Archived