Gibson Brands Forums

Underrated Guitar Slingers!

kaleb

I think the reason this thread is interesting is the mystery in it, the search to understand what it is about.

None of the guitarist listed have anything that would be considered "underrated". In each case, thier accomplishments are well known and well documented. If you know the names of any of them, chances are slim you don't know what they are regarded for or even don't have regard for them yourself.

You couldn't have picked a more unlikely list of "underrated" guitar slingers.

If it is about attempting to find anything about any of them that would be under-rated, then perhaps I could see it as a list of guitarist that is least likely to have something about them that is under-rated.

So I put the throwdown right back at ya: Name ONE thing about any of these on the list that would get them considered "underrated".

They are underrated as guitar players, even though they found success. Maybe their songs are big, but those guys are either overlooked as PLAYERS or overshadowed by other members of their respective groups.

Your definition of "underrated" is my definition of "underground".

If we were talking underground, I would have listed people like Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown, Kim Mitchell of Max Webster, Pat Travers, etc.

I am talking about players in bigger bands that never get their due at all as individual musicians.

Sorry if you misunderstand my point.

They are all unique, so for me it would be impossible to compare them. I will say that Alex looks like he's going to go nuts on the new Rush album. He's finally bringing back the solo styles of his earlier days. Can't wait for the new album to come out (two more days!).

They are all unique, so for me it would be impossible to compare them. I will say that Alex looks like he's going to go nuts on the new Rush album. He's finally bringing back the solo styles of his earlier days. Can't wait for the new album to come out (two more days!).

I'm buying the CD the day it comes out!

Hopefully, they'll do a vinyl version as well (which many bands are doing today).

It seems to me (WORKING MAN!) that Rush is going back in time (IRONIC HUH?):

I heard the title track is supposed to be an epic with multiple parts (in full Necromancer type fashion!)!

They are underrated as guitar players, even though they found success. Maybe their songs are big, but those guys are either overlooked as PLAYERS or overshadowed by other members of their respective groups.

Your definition of "underrated" is my definition of "underground".

If we were talking underground, I would have listed people like Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown, Kim Mitchell of Max Webster, Pat Travers, etc.

I am talking about players in bigger bands that never get their due at all as individual musicians.

Sorry if you misunderstand my point.

I didn't confused "underrated" with "underground", or unknown.

I respectfully disagree, not because I don't like the thread, I want to perpetuate it.

Alex Lifeson, for example. While he plays in a band with monster talents, you would be hard pressed to find a fan of Mr. Lee or Mr. Peart you don't also appreciate Lifeson. And even still, he has been in just as many mags and interviews as either of them. If he was under rated as a player, that would mean that he has talents and abilities that are overlooked or that he hasn't really gotton much credit for. But unlike the vast majority of guitarist who have made the "big time", It's hard for him to play a lick or a tune without scads of guitarist asking him how he came up with it and what it is like to do what he does. He is perhaps one of the most studied guitarist you can find. I would be surprised if there is a certain talent or ability he has that isn't known by the majority who care to know.

The least well known of the list (opinion) Mr. Gorham, has been asked time and time again what made him (them) come up with what he did and how he got THAT sound. Not bad to still be talked about after all this time, considering the time the band was going.

Alvin Lee might be a generation back and perhaps not known because of it, but even still, his LEGEND is such that many might hear or read his name before they hear his stuff. And for many, especially at the time, budding guitarist were learning and trying to learn his songs to the point that many listened to him JUST so they could learn to be a better guitar player. I might even venture to say that most know the name because of his ability as a player more than they know the music on the radio.

But I say also, you failed to meet the challenge of answering the question: What about any of these players makes them under rated?

I didn't confused "underrated" with "underground", or unknown.

I respectfully disagree, not because I don't like the thread, I want to perpetuate it.

Alex Lifeson, for example. While he plays in a band with monster talents, you would be hard pressed to find a fan of Mr. Lee or Mr. Peart you don't also appreciate Lifeson. And even still, he has been in just as many mags and interviews as either of them. If he was under rated as a player, that would mean that he has talents and abilities that are overlooked or that he hasn't really gotton much credit for. But unlike the vast majority of guitarist who have made the "big time", It's hard for him to play a lick or a tune without scads of guitarist asking him how he came up with it and what it is like to do what he does. He is perhaps one of the most studied guitarist you can find. I would be surprised if there is a certain talent or ability he has that isn't known by the majority who care to know.

The least well known of the list (opinion) Mr. Gorham, has been asked time and time again what made him (them) come up with what he did and how he got THAT sound. Not bad to still be talked about after all this time, considering the time the band was going.

Alvin Lee might be a generation back and perhaps not known because of it, but even still, his LEGEND is such that many might hear or read his name before they hear his stuff. And for many, especially at the time, budding guitarist were learning and trying to learn his songs to the point that many listened to him JUST so they could learn to be a better guitar player. I might even venture to say that most know the name because of his ability as a player more than they know the music on the radio.

But I say also, you failed to meet the challenge of answering the question: What about any of these players makes them under rated?

I feel that Alex has always been underrated in comparison to guys like Howe, Holdsworth, Summers, etc, in the midst of all of Rush's periods.

The Caress Of Steel thru Hemispheres period (the "Era Of Epics") made prog less weird and more listenable to the general public (not that it ever was unlistenable to me), which was always Yes and Genesis's shortcomings (not including when Trevor Rabin changed that...). Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures was Holdsworth-influenced playing in a more radio-oriented setting with catchier tunes. The Signals thru Hold Your Fire period (the "Era Of the Great Synthesizer"!) was very Police influenced. But most Police tunes sounded repetitious in comparison to Rush (despite their hits) IMHO. Alex is the "Underdog Of Prog". His solos are never mentioned in magazines. He's never credited with creating anything groundbreaking or new. Nobody ever talks about his tones. I'll tell ya', the constant talk in mags about the "Brown Sound" is getting old after 30+ years.

Gorham was the "Underdog Of Lizzy". He is overshadowed by his partners in crime. Brian, Gary, and Snowy all get more recognition than he does. The Bad Reputation album was all him and it should have been more popular than it was. That's part of it.

Alvin was very popular (obviously not Page/Clapton/Hendrix status) in his time, but he quickly faded away.

I'll answer your question: Being overshadowed by your counterparts and fall from stardom makes these guys underrated.

I regret putting Lynch in the poll, however.

I feel that Alex has always been underrated in comparison to guys like Howe, Holdsworth, Summers, etc, in the midst of all of Rush's periods.

The Caress Of Steel thru Hemispheres period (the "Era Of Epics") made prog less weird and more listenable to the general public (not that it ever was unlistenable to me), which was always Yes and Genesis's shortcomings (not including when Trevor Rabin changed that...). Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures was Holdsworth-influenced playing in a more radio-oriented setting with catchier tunes. The Signals thru Hold Your Fire period (the "Era Of the Great Synthesizer"!) was very Police influenced. But most Police tunes sounded repetitious in comparison to Rush (despite their hits) IMHO. Alex is the "Underdog Of Prog". His solos are never mentioned in magazines. He's never credited with creating anything groundbreaking or new. Nobody ever talks about his tones. I'll tell ya', the constant talk in mags about the "Brown Sound" is getting old after 30+ years.

Gorham was the "Underdog Of Lizzy". He is overshadowed by his partners in crime. Brian, Gary, and Snowy all get more recognition than he does. The Bad Reputation album was all him and it should have been more popular than it was. That's part of it.

Alvin was very popular (obviously not Page/Clapton/Hendrix status) in his time, but he quickly faded away.

I'll answer your question: Being overshadowed by your counterparts and fall from stardom makes these guys underrated.

I regret putting Lynch in the poll, however.

I think you got Alex nailed, but I don't think he is overshadowed or not recognised. I don't know that he and Howe deserve direct comparism, or Rush and Yes do either. You don't hear of many saying "Yes rocks!" the way you might Rush. I think he is known to be more of a team player than a lot of other guitarist, and well repected that way. In such a way, that if you wanted to study or recognised a team player, you might look to Lifeson before many others, including Howe.

And I think one of the reasons why you don't often get Alex talked about for coming up with stuff as an individual, is because usually it is talked about in the context of Rush. As in, they talk about what the three of them do together when they do talk about it, as opposed to singling out any one player. (And I don't think you can very much).

As for the others, I think one rule that is constant about having a career and getting recognised is you HAVE to put out. Gary might be the best known of the Thin Lizzy camp, but he has had a successful solo career. Alvin Lee didn't put out much as long like Clapton. George Lynch is highly regarded for his ability and work in the genre he did and does, but that genre hasn't been popular like a lot of others. These guys might not be as well known or had the same careers as a lot of others, but one MUST recognise that to stay on top or keep going at the top takes WORK. Work in the form of heavy touring, putting out quality records, or making changes and fitting into the times. Those that don't want to change or put out more music are no less good musicians than they were, but it is to say they would be "overshadowed" by those that stay at it.

Archived