Gibson Brands Forums

New from Arizona

Restringing

It has been years since I have played the guitar in the past. Tried to do it my way (sorry Frank and have subsequently made a promise to learn in a more proper and structured way. I always enjoyed playing and am excited to restart that experience. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but I hope to enjoy the journey. I was astounded with the Bird and an Epi 12 string rekindled my love for the 12.

In the 70's I could be found at the Walnut Valley National Flatpicking Festival and later the short lived Spring Fling. What a time seeing and listening to Doc, Crary, Blake, and others.

So here I am after many years starting over, hence my name Restringing.

I apologize for leaving the post in the wrong forum. Probably won't be my only mistake, but will try to limit them.

Welcome! You are not alone in returning to playing after years away. Many here have a similar story.

It's never too late to start playing again.

You will find a community here that is both supportive, and at times critical. Sort of like most families.

Yes, welcome to the forum and playing again!

Lots of great characters here. I'm three years back into playing after a 15 year hiatus and am loving it, I'm sure you will too.

Make sure you have a good humidifier, must get pretty dry in Arizona (that's the dessert isn't it?)

EA

Thank you for all the encouraging replies.

I will try to answer some of your questions as follows:

I did not buy the G-Bird as it was out of my range, but someday .... MY my my what a sweet sound.

I did, however, purchase the Epi. An older '91 PR-350-12. Yes, it is all ply Korean, but it has a sweet sound and in wonderful shape.

No instructor at this time. Was thinking of an online course, but there is nothing like a crazed maniac swinging a hickory stick screaming "Wrong, Wrong, Wrong" to set the stage for a good attitude.(Past memories tend to loom forward at night.)

Humidifier? OH YES.

Pics? I will try.

I plan to start a ground zero as I am neither proud nor happy with my knowledge. There is an old saying, You get what you pay for, and I didn't pay for much. So, you can probably see where I am at this point. That does stop me from appreciating what I have seen and heard on this forum. While I may be older in years, I consider you my elders. Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

It'll help for recommendations if you state what kind of thing you're trying to achieve, there's always constant song suggestions, youtube clips, tabs etc floating around here for both fingerstyle/fingerpickers and for the strummers.

Good luck with the learning, you're in good company.

Best regards

Thank you for all the encouraging replies.

I will try to answer some of your questions as follows:

I did not buy the G-Bird as it was out of my range, but someday .... MY my my what a sweet sound.

I did, however, purchase the Epi. An older '91 PR-350-12. Yes, it is all ply Korean, but it has a sweet sound and in wonderful shape.

No instructor at this time. Was thinking of an online course, but there is nothing like a crazed maniac swinging a hickory stick screaming "Wrong, Wrong, Wrong" to set the stage for a good attitude.(Past memories tend to loom forward at night.)

Humidifier? OH YES.

Pics? I will try.

I plan to start a ground zero as I am neither proud nor happy with my knowledge. There is an old saying, You get what you pay for, and I didn't pay for much. So, you can probably see where I am at this point. That does stop me from appreciating what I have seen and heard on this forum. While I may be older in years, I consider you my elders. Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Great attitude! Welcome to the fourm. This is a good place to help you accomplish your goals.

You shouldn't be concerned about that at all - I think you'll find that a lot of the members here are 'older folks'... [cool]

Some of us, like me, are old enough to be on Medicare. And I know I'm not the only one. Others are close enough that they got no grounds to consider themselves "younger".

Of course, some of us have the mentaility of 18-year-olds, even if we can't remember where we put the car keys.

Some of us, like me, are old enough to be on Medicare. And I know I've not the only one. Others are close enough that they got no grounds to consider themselves "younger".

Of course, some of us have the mentaility of 18-year-olds, even if we can't remember where we put the car keys.

I think that I remember someone calling the Acoustic forum the "Adult Section" at one point, and for the most part that seems fairly true. Lot of ol geezers like nick with a lot of knowledge and an interest and willingness to share. Welcome aboard

Welcome! yes, many of us here are re-born pcikers who played and loved acoustics in our salad days, but life happened and we put our guitars up while we were in college, the service, had families, struggled with jobs and everything else that took a priority to playing. So, after the kids left, the job became less of a priority (many of us are ilooking at retirement ) we found we had a little extra time and cash and remembered the guitar we put in the closet, under the bed, or (hopefully not) in the attic.! Fortunately, there are many others of us here who are not yet fossilized and bring even more insight and experience to this Forum. You are definitely in the right place!

Welcome! yes, many of us here are re-born pcikers who played and loved acoustics in our salad days, but life happened and we put our guitars up while we were in college, the service, had families, struggled with jobs and everything else that took a priority to playing. So, after the kids left, the job became less of a priority (many of us are ilooking at retirement ) we found we had a little extra time and cash and remembered the guitar we put in the closet, under the bed, or (hopefully not) in the attic.! Fortunately, there are many others of us here who are not yet fossilized and bring even more insight and experience to this Forum. You are definitely in the right place!

Yes I believe I am in the right forum in more ways than I can say at the moment. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate the attitude expressed here. And if I get out of line some how, I am asking you guys to let me know. I doesn't take much to destroy a good thing.

Archived