Gibson Brands Forums

Exotica

J.R.M.30!

Recently around where I live they had an incident where tigers, monkeys, and a few other exotic animals escaped their compound. They were sadly killed, so that they wouldn't hurt anyone, as it was at night when this happened. The owner commited suicide. I ask the question: Why own exotic animals? Is it just a "walk on the wild side", a rush, a medal for the most dangerous animal on the block. I don't have the answer. Some propose stricter laws for owning these animals, government is trying to get laws past so that this example will never happen again. What does this have to do with guitars and pedalboards, nothing. It's the real world we live in, you and me.

Frankly I think having potentially very dangerous "exotic" animals is stupid.

OTOH, some people think that it's equally "stupid" that I have the basic firearms for cowboy action shooting.

Others think many of us are "stupid" for having an SUV regardless that cars can't move where I live in several different types of local weather.

Modern "media" tell us the "man bites dog" stories because there's nothing new about dogs biting people. So then we're stirred up to "if you don't agree with what I think makes sense," you're stupid and probably dangerous.

It's interesting. Actually this sorta thing dates back to the earlier days of "mass media," but since there's so much more, and since "we" tend toward certain types of media that seems to fit our overall perspective on life, it seems to be a lot more structured and "popular" to have anti-everything fads...

m

Truth is it doesn't matter how many laws are passed...people deep down are idiots and there will always be that group of people that have to own a bengal tiger in thier basement. or have a python or a monkey....and these same morons always claim " I know now fluffy won't do such a thing" and then they are always surprised and shocked when their carnivore actually eats someones face.

Why does anyone have pet's or jewelry or anything else because they enjoy it. Growing up I had several exotic type animals including raccoons, coyotes a javelina and several hawks and falcons. they were a blast to own growing up and actually other than the raccoon that was given to me by a friend when it's owner died I actually found all of the other animals as babies and raised them. The coyote had no idea it was a wild animal and basically it was a dog a skittish nervous dog around other people but when it was around me it was a dog plain and simple usually chasing a frisbee. It died of basically old age at 13 again pretty much like a dog. The Javelina was probably the smartest animal Ive ever been around and was a great pet I got it when it was about the size of a small football my dad had killed it's parent and it wouldn't leave we knew it was gonna die so I took it home and raised it for three years until somebody that worked for fish and game saw it following me and my friends to the bus stop. after the bus picked us up it ran home and laid on the front porch until I got home then like every other day it was waiting for me at the bus stop and sadly so were fish and game officers. They wouldn't let me keep it but it was way to domestic so it was taken by a local zoo as part of the animals they took out to schools to show kids since it loved people it was very popular. The hawks and falcons I raised usually from found babies that a rescue service gave me or hatched from nest's that had been disturbed I usually kept them about 18 months and trained them to be released or those that could not be released because they became domesticated were again sold to zoo's or in some cases sold to active falconer's in clubs that wanted specific birds raised and trained.

The raccoon was a different story it was hilarious to watch and a total nuisance I kept it for only five months until I could find it a good home it was a brilliant animal and friendly to a point and that point was when it got tired of being touched at which time it usually drew blood. it also basically beat the tar out of every dog in the neighborhood and was impossible to keep locked in a cage it could escape from anything and Id find it almost every morning sleeping in the clothes hamper in my bedroom usually right after it had caught and eaten one of my dad's prized salt water fish that she thought was a sushi bar just for her. I never intended to keep it I was just trying to find it a good home and man was I glad when I found it one. it was beautiful, interesting, and mean as only a wild animal can be.

I would never own anything deadly or poisonous but I still have several tortoises including a pair of breeding Desert Tortoises that I have owned for almost 40 years. And I send the babies to zoo's and other breeders all over the country every couple years when we find a dozen or so wandering around in the backyard in the spring. I got them when I was 11 years old and they were about the size of a silver dollar the phoenix zoo would take your name and give you babies or even adults they didn't have a need for after you took a class and learned how to care for them. there fascinating to watch and a endangered species so it's important we maintain them as a species since development has destroyed most of their habitat.

I was out running today and saw an out-of-shape housewife with 2 mastiffs on leashes. They were clearly pulling her along with no effort. If they got the 'call of the wild' and decided to attack somebody, there is no way she could prevent it.

At the same time, **** Dale keeps a big jungle cat as a housecat with no problem, and Retro had a raccoon and hawks. It's individuals maybe, I dunno. The guy who had the exotic big game farm who suicided was a sick and twisted turd though, IMO. It's cruel how he kept them penned up. I don't think it's about dominion.

I know there are a lot of people out there who own exotic animals, but this one particular person committing suicide over this situation shows that there was some deep psychological problem with him/her.

Too sad that folks put all of themselves in "things" that won't last, can't last. There is something greater . . . too bad he didn't find it.

I ask the question: Why own exotic animals?

Why own exotic woods?

Many people have long lists of reasons they MUST have ebony and rosewood on their guitars. I say more power to um if that's their thing.

Archived