Gibson Brands Forums

You gotta love the CF-100

onewilyfool

Both nice guitars, OWF.

I suppose who gets the gig betwen you and her will be decided if you can play that Rev Gary Davis G7 chord better than her......

BluesKing777.

Are we getting some soundtrax of the CF?

Sound tracks WILL be coming!!!

Baby came home today!!!! Perfect intonation, perfect setup, perfect neck angle....sounds great....this is one VERY light guitar!!!! Sounds like it is AMPLIFIED!!! I am blessed to have this one!!!

Lucky you!

Baby came home today!!!! Perfect intonation, perfect setup, perfect neck angle....sounds great....this is one VERY light guitar!!!! Sounds like it is AMPLIFIED!!! I am blessed to have this one!!!

Yes!

Very lucky you!!!

Are you going to get a sound hole pickup like the guy in the video above, or is this guitar for your own pleasure at home?

BluesKing777.

The Interactive Gibson Bible says that 1257 CF-100E's were built between 1951-1958. That makes yours a pretty rare guitar.

The CF-100 was one of the first Gibsons to have the trapezoid inlays that would later become a hallmark of the Les Paul, introduced in '52.

Red 333

The Interactive Gibson Bible says that 1257 CF-100E's were built between 1951-1958. That makes yours a pretty rare guitar.

The CF-100 was one of the first Gibsons to have the trapezoid inlays that would later become a hallmark of the Les Paul, introduced in '52.

Red 333

I never knew that about the inlays. I thought I knew everything about the CF100! [biggrin] Thanks Red.

Wow, he's certainly gone grey in recent years. This model he's playing sounds a lot to my ears like my 69' Bird, just a little lighter.

btw: in Prague's Hard Rock cafe is Bob Dylans old CF-100 with the set list from the gig where he used it in the glass cabinet. Enjoy lookin' at it with a little grin ..

J Mascis plays a CF-100 as well!

I saw Dinosaur Jr in my local gig joint about a year or so ago... apologies to his fans here, but it was the worst professional concert I've ever seen *. It was abysmal. I was there to review it for a music mag I do a little spot of writing for here in Luxembourg, so thankfully my ticket/guest pass was free but it was a truly truly terrible gig.

* recently I saw Pete Doherty, this is now the worst professional concert I've ever seen but only just beating Dinosaur Jr, again it was free but people paid over 30 euro for a ticket too, he turned up an hour and a half late, asked the crowd where he could buy heroin (no I'm not kidding) bumbled through a few libertines songs at a snails pace, made a rather nice J-45 sound like it cost $10, at one point he sat down on the floor hugging his guitar and rockin back & forth and declared "it's not going very well, is it? I'll give it another 10 minutes then I'm off out..." It was so bad it was almost mesmerising. After one song the crowd was completely silent, not a single clap, not even a boo... just pure silence. It was awesome from a reviewers perspective.

I never knew that about the inlays. I thought I knew everything about the CF100! [biggrin] Thanks Red.

I think the ES-125 and ES-150 had the trap inlays first. Those models were introduced when Gibson resumed archtop production after WWII (they ceased from 1941-1944, which is something I did not realize until now--I guess they only built "Banner" flattops). Again, this info is courtesy of The Interactive Gibson Bible by Walter Carter & Dave Hunter.

Red 333

• 2 years later...

I had one (not with a maple top, though). It was my first big $ Gibson acquisition. I had never played one before but thought it looked seriously cool. I still think that but I couldn't abide by the tone (or lack of it). Might have been due to the guitar being brand new and not opened up but it was disappointing to me. I flipped it pretty quickly for a dread. I see these and want one again because of their appearance but I manage to control myself… Enjoy yours!

8.jpg

I had one (not with a maple top, though). It was my first big $ Gibson acquisition. I had never played one before but thought it looked seriously cool. I still think that but I couldn't abide by the tone (or lack of it). Might have been due to the guitar being brand new and not opened up but it was disappointing to me. I flipped it pretty quickly for a dread. I see these and want one again because of their appearance but I manage to control myself… Enjoy yours!

8.jpg

Jannus…mine has the war scars, and has been played. With no offense to LG owners…..when I had this at a local shop and compared it sound wise to several LG's this one outshone them all. My collector friend tells me that they used better materials in the CF's than the LG's, but who knows….mine has a lot of wear around the sound hole and the usual checking and scuffs, but no big cracks, and a great sound and light as a feather. I've not played any of the CF-100E's yet, would like to do that comparison. I have a '59 00-17 Martin, so both similar size and volume, the 00-17 has a much sweeter and warmer sound…the CF is raw and in your face…..lol….I mostly play blues on it!!

Here are the specs for the Maple…pretty rare!:

Only 24 will be made!

In a very special one-time offering of just 24 limited-edition guitars, Gibson Acoustic presents the CF-100 E Flame Top Custom. This striking instrument is a 1951 Florentine Cutaway Acoustic/Electric with custom flamed maple top, back, and sides. Further enhancing the elegance of this unique instrument is an ebony fingerboard and bridge. Mother of Pearl inlays adorn the fingerboard and headstock and the guitar is finished in an antiqued natural lacquer finish. Electronically, a single P-90 single-coil pickup is controlled by a pair of Les Paul-style gold "Top Hat" knobs. The CF-100 E Flame Top Custom is limited to just 24 instruments worldwide.

CF-100 E Flame Top Custom Features:

A One-Time Limited Edition of 24 Guitars.

Historic 1951 Florentine Cutaway Acoustic-Electric

Custom Flamed Maple Top Back & Sides

Ebony Fingerboard & Bridge

Mother of Pearl Fingerboard & Headstock Inlay

P-90 Single Coil Pickup

Les Paul Style Gold "Top Hat" Knobs

Antiqued Natural Lacquer Finish

Custom Shop Case, Label & Decal

Limited Run of Only 24 Ever to be Offered

CF-100 E Flame Top Custom - Extremely limited edition of a beautiful instrument!

Archived