Gibson Brands Forums

More importantly than the Beatles

TommyK

"The Greatest Generation" embarked on a military operation that would save the world and earn them the title "The Greatest Generation".

The invasion of Normandy, popularly known as "D-Day".

156,000 Allied forces struggled for a toe hold on the European continent.

Lest we forget.

Must say I hold enormous respect for that day.

That roaring morning, which to me in many ways is the starting point of the post-war modern world. The sphere'n'mentality that allowed f.x. free art, jazz and rock'n'roll to blossom.

I send a sincere thought to every soul who participated on the behalf of allied forces, no matter position, rang, nationality, gender or political observance. Even the families and relatives to those who went, deserve a prayer.

My own personally homage was paid a few years ago where I joined a celebration of the Belgian town Mons, which was liberated in the late summer before The Battle of Bulge 1944. Believe it or not, but E-minor7 enlisted and found himself as a part of a half-tracker crew carrying fuel for a Sherman tank. Armed with no guitar, but a harp in the pocket, we drove the very trails of the original campaign, enacting some of the scenes from back then. Very convincing as big parts of the scenery stands unchanged - counts for the Ardennes also.

Quite a mind-exspanding experience for the old beatnik here.

And as said before :

Might be after the 6thof June '44 this part of the world saw its first real Gibson acoustics. Think small body series, J-35, J-45 even SJ-200.

For anyone wanting a detailed, short-course history of the war in Europe from D-Day through May, 1945, the TV mini-series "Band of Brothers" (available on DVD) is a breathtaking ride, from the mundane to the dramatic. It's about as real as it can get, and it makes you appreciate just what these men and women went through to protect our way of life. (No offense to any German members of this forum.)

Most US soldiers during WWII were citizen soldiers, who either volunteered or were drafted. They weren't professional soldiers, and wanted nothing more than to get back to their familes in one piece. Over 400,000 US soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen did not, and other allied losses were even greater. We should all be grateful for their sacrifice.

What I have found most amazing was the fact that many of the fathers of my neighborhood friends where I grew up took such an active part in WWII. The local barber was a medic on the Normandy invasion. My best friend's father was an infantryman fighting in Italy. Another one fought in the Battle of the Bulge; another was at Iwo Jima. And my father was at Pearl Harbor.

They will always stand as "The Greatest Generation".

God Bless all those courageous souls who fought against the evils of Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, and Facist Italy. And definitly, you can't forget the Russians. Over twenty-five million (25,000,000) Russians died in the war. Sadly, fewer and fewer people remember D-Day, Stalingrad, Iwo Jima, Alamein, etc. We need to remember, because we are in scary times. The younger people need to know and understand why and how these wars happened. We didn't learn, so I doubt they will.

Archived