Gibson Brands Forums

need help adjusting the action of my SG

Polidavey666

I have an American standard Gibson SG. I recently had custom pickups installed, and after I got it back, I noticed that the action seems to be a little too low (for example: I hit a note on the 3rd string at the 14th fret and as I bend the string, the note hardly changes at all). what would be the best way for me to raise the action just a tad? I've read several things online about this, and some people mention adjusting the bridge, other people mention adjusting the tail piece, while a few people have even mentioned adjusting the truss rod (although I've read that you should NEVER mess with this unless you're an advanced guitar tech). the strings I use are "jazz lite" gauge (with a wound 3rd), so they're pretty much mediums (not lite, and not heavy).

Hi and welcome to the forums...

The issue as stated is not dependent on 'action' per se...a wound 3rd does not bend as easily as a single strand

So there may even be 'no problem'...which is always nice... [biggrin]

String buzz and bend 'choking' are the main reasons to check action and neck relief...and sometimes uneven fret height...

The least invasive adjustment to action is by raising or lowering the bridge...

V

:-({|=

If notes are choking above the 12th you should give the neck some relief. Loosen(counter clockwise)the truss rod a quarter turn at a time until the notes ring true. If you lay the neck down on a table, you'll be able to see how straight it is. Ideally, as close to dead straight as you can get it is how it's intended to be. Bridge and tailpiece are supposed to be up from the body on an SG as well. It is a fairly easy adjustment, and as long as your gentle and patient, you should be able to pull it off. Make sure to check your intonation after any adjustments. If the prospect is too scary, then take it to a repair/set-up shop for sure. Cheers. [thumbup]

Archived