Gibson Brands Forums

If only I had the money...

Rabs

I bet it is a good one too!

Remember, not all Marshalls are created equal! (especially 800s...)

You could take 10 2203s from 1983 and they'd all sound different. Some very good. Some decent. Some horrible.

If you ever get a dog, I suggest Mercury trannies and new tubes.

And one thing I like to do to 800s is clip the bright cap. That capacitor is why they add treble and fizz at low volumes.

Yes, if we only had the money....

WRT the price, no telling where it will end up. It's an auction after all (no BIN price) and with some, auction fever can carry an item far beyond what it might bring. Then again, it may get zero bids (a rather substantial though certainly not outrageous starting price, this could deter the initial bidders and prevent the very auction fever that can drive things sky high).

Keep an eye on the last minute or 30 seconds of the auction, that is where the story will be told (that's where I bid, and where most auctions are won). To be clear, no, I'll not be bidding on this (also can't spare the funds...).

Once when Jim Marshall was asked what the best amp they ever made was,he replied without hesitation the JCM 800,2203 model.A guy who used to go out with my eldest daughter had one and it was just a killer amp.The 2203 was their first master volume 100W amp and it finally meant that you could dial in the famous Marshall roar without splitting your windows and drywall.I have an '83 2204 which is basically a 50W version of the 2203 and it's just the thing for doing Hendrix covers as you can get a real Plexi-like tone from it from a fairly low volume to full bore roar.

Johnny Marr was always one of my favourite guitarists,his style was so unique that you can't tell who his influences were because he doesn't sound a bit like anyone else.I'd love to be able to bid on that puppy,it sucks being poor.

Archived