Gibson Brands Forums

My wife said to me...

merseybeat1963

My wife just said to me.."I don't think there is any other guitar that can service this guy for what he needs..If this was the Middle Ages, I would send to kidnap this guy"

These notes, is man touching heaven.

There is a place for the voice of the Gibson acoustic guitar .. but not when this level of expression is required & this level of sensitivity in an instrument.

(Strange to read his favorite musician was Jimi Hendrix)

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-dI6rLsZ1c&feature=related

There is a place for the voice of the Gibson acoustic guitar .. but not when this level of expression is required & this level of sensitivity in an instrument.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-dI6rLsZ1c&feature=related

So you are saying that Pierre Bensusan could not play this song as well if he played a Gibson ...huh??? [cursing]

So you are saying that Pierre Bensusan could not play this song as well if he played a Gibson ...huh??? [cursing]

Definately .. this is what i am saying.

Though I probably will hodge podge custom order another Gibson Acoustic in the future...a Gibson Acoustic is deaf to the sounds this man is making on that guitar.

When we go see him perform hopefully in the near future I will do my best to get to him & ask him in person.. : )

it's just an example of a tool for a job , i have a lowden which is a stunning guitar , but blues sounds like sh#t on it .

i dont really see the point of the opening thread though , unless you assume that we dont know that different styles of play are better suited to certain guitar types ?

or maybe i'm missing a point :-s

Then there's the J-45 that pretty much could do Slayer unplugged to Paco De Lucia.

Damn it. Get a Standard 45 and plug it into your gizmo thing (not the Fishman Matrix, the Zoom thing), set to distorsion, or just into a plain old big muff, and it could do Slayer full stop.

merseybeat1963- you and your wife, the listener as you had previously called her, come across as intolerant elitists with statements like that. You may be wonderful people but from the slices of your collective thought processes you present here (and other threads), one wouldn't be able to tell. It seems more like you are throwing pearls of wisdom like rose petals from the balcony of your ivory tower to us common folk who have been deluded into believing our pedestrian tastes in guitars need to evolve. Nothing could be better than a Lowden. They, like Huss & Dalton, whose merits you've lauded on these pages before, are great instruments. They just aren't great for everyone and every style. I almost bought a Lowden a number of years ago before Avalon was started. As beautiful as it played and sounded, it wasn't as good for me as other guitars I was looking at. It may be the ultimate for you. Great feeling when you ID that guitar. I don't know anybody who likes hearing that their preferences are inferior. This is all subjective, ya know. Cheers.

Definately .. this is what i am saying.

Though I probably will hodge podge custom order another Gibson Acoustic in the future...a Gibson Acoustic is deaf to the sounds this man is making on that guitar.

When we go see him perform hopefully in the near future I will do my best to get to him & ask him in person.. : )

I think he'd sound very nice on a Gibson. His playing is very tasteful in its genre, so I'm sure he'd sound good on anything that would stay in tune, from a National to a Martin, but I suspect that I'd like the tone more on certain instruments. I still don't quite get the Martin sound to be honest - it's everywhere, and they invented it, so fine, but it still doesn't warm my cockles. Besides the classic Gibson mahogany slope sound and its close square-shouldered sibling tone, its maple cousins and rosewood relative in the case of the AJ, I would be moved by a nice Tricone and possibly a rosewood Guild Jumbo like Paul Simon used in around 1967-8. All of these would sound just dandy in Bensusan's hands I suspect. But I have to hand it to Lowden, they make a fantastic sounding guitar. I've never heard one live or recorded that didn't sound great, and Bensusan's really does suit his style to a tee. Anyway Lowden is one of the companies whose work I most appreciate after Gibson. Lucky BBG to have one of each. And sure BBG, the J45 must be your blues (and country) instrument of choice, but I reckon you could do something convincingly bluesy on the Lowden if you had to - it surely has more oomph than a Taylor. Certainly they sound less glossy to me, just not growly like the Gibbies.

There's a professional muso here in prague who gigs with a rosewwod jumbo Lowden. Its a lovelly guitar but very, very dry, especially for rosewood but suits his voice which is also very dry (think Joe Cocker). Often think he would bebefit from a midrangey J-45.

Personally I find that lowden somewhat single dimensional, good at some bits but far from an allrounder that so many Gibsons seems to be good at.

Heck, I could care less what guitar Bensusan plays - I never even heard of him until this post. But I did give him a listen and then went back to BluesKing's post and will take John Lee Hooker's utterly primal and raw boogie over the technical wizardry of that guy any day of the week.

Two things I have learned over the past fifty years:

1) No matter what guitar I am playing I still sound like me

2) My guitars always sound better when played by somebody else

Two things I have learned over the past fifty years:

1) No matter what guiytar I am playing I still sound like me

2) My guitars always sound better when played by somebody else

I've discovered the same thing. Not sure what it means, except that it's a good thing I'm not trying to make a living doing this.

Personally I find that lowden somewhat single dimensional, good at some bits but far from an allrounder that so many Gibsons seems to be good at.

Not in Richard Thompson's hands. Then again, I don't care what guitar he is playing either - it ain't possible for any guitar not to sound great when that guy straps it on.

Not in Richard Thompson's hands. Then again, I don't care what guitar he is playing either - it ain't possible for any guitar not to sound great when that guy straps it on.

Exactly !!!

I seen him play a Lowden, Strat, Tele ..... All good in his hands!!

I've discovered the same thing. Not sure what it means, except that it's a good thing I'm not trying to make a living doing this.

Now ain't that the truth! If I didn't play for just the pure enjoyment I would be most miserable, because there will always be others who play better and have a more elite (expensive, fancier, rarer, etc) guitar. Believe me I enjoy looking and listening to these others as they inspire me. However, my piece of wood and steel is every bit as lovely to me as the most "elite." She was selected for a reason. The same as es others selected theirs, "for a reason."

merseybeat1963- you and your wife, the listener, come across as intolerant elitists with statements like that. You may be wonderful people but from the slices of your collective thought processes you present here (and other threads), one wouldn't be able to tell. It seems more like you are throwing pearls of wisdom like rose petals from the balcony of your ivory tower to us common folk who have been deluded into believing our pedestrian tastes in guitars need to evolve. Nothing could be better than a Lowden. They, like Huss & Dalton, whose merits you've lauded on these pages before, are great instruments. They just aren't great for everyone and every style. I almost bought a Lowden a number of years ago before Avalon was started. As beautiful as it played and sounded, it wasn't as good for me as other guitars I was looking at. It may be the ultimate for you. Great feeling when you ID that guitar. I don't know anybody who likes hearing that their preferences are inferior. This is all subjective, ya know. Cheers.

Sorry I don't mean to come across like that but if Elitist means bowing down to excellence or mastery at something..this really is what we are.

The source of many of my dry comments concerning Gibson & Martin Guitars is from being a believer all my life in the brainwash that "Martin is the best" "Gibson is the best" "King of the Flat top Guitars"..and saving up for years... manual labor...to get that better one..& better one..untill 35 years later I got to the best one..and still it was not like the old ones..

I thought..it had to have the Gibson or Martin name on it to be as good as those old responsive acoustic guitars..buy sell buy sell ..

The last time I saved my bundle to shop again..only because my brother suggested it ..I walked into that side room at Mandolin Brothers where the odd ball names were ,to try the Lowden & in turn others and discovered Id been bloody fooled.

Mandolin Brothers does not mind that you try any guitar in the place including the rare ones...I must have gone in there 6-7 times and one of those times was in there all day. The only guitars that were as good as those old ones were in that little side room.

And so I harp on here...the big names are mass produced factory instruments..it seems from what I see, no individual voicing and love goes into the tone of these individual guitars..they are made by a set recipe & formula taking no account of the individual character of the piece of timber..esspecially in the top where it most matters.

Basically what I am saying is a variation of this. I want "believers" to know..there is a place for the Gibson tone..but neither Martin nor Gibson are "the best"...but firmly "the average".

The Lowden Acoustic guitar since 2004 (white label) is as good as the old unattainable guitars & Im saying so..sorry to rub anyone wrong.

P.s. Nicely written by the way..

The thing is its a recipe that is simply preferred by many, me included. I could go and buy a Froggy Bottom, or a Lowden and could afford to pay the premium, but I like the Gibson recipe the most after trying most of em, still come back to the original recipe, simply coz I really like it the most, nothing to do with brainwashing. I also prefer Jack n' Coke to Mochitos and Cuba Libras ... is that wrong ?

Lowdens have a place in the market, but dont go round making statements that Gibson is just relying on history and brand power, the folks here know what they like and its not just the logo and the burst ..

Sorry I don't mean to come across like that but if Elitist means bowing down to excellence or mastery at something..this really is what we are.

The source of many of my dry comments concerning Gibson & Martin Guitars is from being a believer all my life in the brainwash that "Martin is the best" "Gibson is the best" "King of the Flat top Guitars"..and saving up for years... manual labor...to get that better one..& better one..untill 35 years later I got to the best one..and still it was not like the old ones..

I thought..it had to have the Gibson or Martin name on it to be as good as those old responsive acoustic guitars..buy sell buy sell ..

The last time I saved my bundle to shop again..only because my brother suggested it ..I walked into that side room at Mandolin Brothers where the odd ball names were ,to try the Lowden & in turn others and discovered Id been bloody fooled.

Mandolin Brothers does not mind that you try any guitar in the place including the rare ones...I must have gone in there 6-7 times and one of those times was in there all day. The only guitars that were as good as those old ones were in that little side room.

And so I harp on here...the big names are mass produced factory instruments..it seems from what I see, no individual voicing and love goes into the tone of these individual guitars..they are made by a set recipe & formula taking no account of the individual character of the piece of timber..esspecially in the top where it most matters.

Basically what I am saying is a variation of this. I want "believers" to know..there is a place for the Gibson tone..but neither Martin nor Gibson are "the best"...but firmly "the average".

The Lowden Acoustic guitar since 2004 (white label) is as good as the old unattainables guitars & Im saying so..sorry to rub anyone wrong.

After working and sweating for decades to learn my craft I ca proudly say I have made it all the way up to Advanced Hack.

That's why they make so many different guitars...different strokes and all that.

That said...I will rarely use the words better or best when describing guitars. I have some I like more and some I like less....but none are the best...just my favorites...

The Lowden Acoustic guitar since 2004 (white label) is as good as the old unattainable guitars & Im saying so..sorry to rub anyone wrong.

"Tone" and "quality" exist in the ears, mind, and eyes of the listener/observer/player. The "best" for one type of music is not necessarily the "best" for another. Dr. John's N.O. barrelhouse music may sound better on a battered upright than on a Steinway B, and for all I know, he owns both.

Somehow, I have trouble envisioning Rev. Gary Davis or John Hurt playing a Lowden.......

I am but an humble journeyman, and my Gibsons (and Martins, for that matter) suit me just fine.

To each his own.

Somehow, I have trouble envisioning Rev. Gary Davis or John Hurt playing a Lowden.......

Well for one thing they'd have to crack the old resurrection routine first. Probably too happy playing celestial harps (unless Sonny Terry is doing that and they've got pearly Gibsons and Guilds instead).

It seems you've drawn your conclusions by trying the guitars you mention but forgive me for saying that it seems as though you're reinforcing your opinion by user ratings on Harmony Central, AGF and Amazon. It's as foolish to proclaim any guitar as being the best as it is to proclaim who is the best guitarist. If you think a Lowden guitar is the best then why not sell everything else you own and buy one? Why slum it? Coming to the Gibson forum to prosthelytize about Lowden or any other brand isn't going to be met with many invitations to dinner, if ya know what I mean. If you've found your holy grail then indulge. I'm just not buying what you're selling. I'm never going to play like Pierre Bensusan, regardless of whether I use a Lowden and he would blow you away if he played a cigar box guitar.

Well for one thing they'd have to crack the old resurrection routine first. Probably too happy playing celestial harps (unless Sonny Terry is doing that and they've got pearly Gibsons and Guilds instead).

Those two guys have already cracked the resurrection code: they live forever through their music.

Those two guys have already cracked the resurrection code: they live forever through their music.

Lucky for Robert Johnson that it works that way! Mind you, given how little Tommy Johnson's catalogue is known, perhaps selling your soul really does scupper your chances in the afterlife, even on vinyl. Perhaps there is the definitive proof that Robert was not the Johnson who did the deal...

Archived