Gibson Brands Forums

My wife said to me...

merseybeat1963

It seems you've drawn your conclusions by trying the guitars you mention but forgive me for saying that it seems as though you're reinforcing your opinion by user ratings on Harmony Central, AGF and Amazon. It's as foolish to proclaim any guitar as being the best as it is to proclaim who is the best guitarist. If you think a Lowden guitar is the best then why not sell everything else you own and buy one? Why slum it? Coming to the Gibson forum to prosthelytize about Lowden or any other brand isn't going to be met with many invitations to dinner, if ya know what I mean. If you've found your holy grail then indulge. I'm just not buying what you're selling. I'm never going to play like Pierre Bensusan, regardless of whether I use a Lowden and he would blow you away if he played a cigar box guitar.

I don't think I said that Lowden was "the" best guitar, as in the only best guitar..though somehow maybe it could be read like that.!

Im not exactly sure what you mean by reinforcing my opinion by user ratings..

I don't play like Pierre Bensusan either by the way..I have only 3 acoustics a Martin,a Gibson & a Lowden. That Lowden is all Lung and I play a lot better on it.

My opinion is Martin & Gibson should put a few guys along the food chain that actually take the time to voice the tops of the guitars..

I would like to see Gibsons & Martins sound as good as they used to.

Thanks to that owner & Ren Ferguson the acoustics became as good as a new Martin..a miracle really..but neither is as good as the PreWar 45 stuff (New Lowdens are though)

Anyway...Im just clamoring for the betterment.

It helps sometimes..you know I like Kelloggs Corn Flakes..one day I look and I see High Frutcose Corn Syrup in there..I couldn't believe they unnecessarily had that slime in there.

I wrote em a long letter telling em were they trying to turn this into a society of diabetics feeding this to children by parents who believe in the tradition of these Corn Flakes..

Can you believe it ,a few months later no more Corn Syrup in Kelloggs Corn Flakes.

All the Best

I don't think I said that Lowden was "the" best guitar, as in the only best guitar..though somehow maybe it could be read like that.!

Im not exactly sure what you mean by reinforcing my opinion by user ratings..

I don't play like Pierre Bensusan either by the way..I have only 3 acoustics a Martin,a Gibson & a Lowden. That Lowden is all Lung and I play a lot better on it.

My opinion is Martin & Gibson should put a few guys along the food chain that actually take the time to voice the tops of the guitars..

Thanks to that owner & Ren Ferguson the acoustics became as good as a new Martin..a miracle really..but neither is as good as the PreWar 45 stuff (New Lowdens are though)

Anyway...Im just clamoring for the betterment.

It helps sometimes..you know I like Kelloggs Corn Flakes..one day I look and I see High Frutcose Corn Syrup in there..I couldn't believe they unnecessarily had that slime in there.

I wrote em a long letter telling em were they trying to turn this into a society of diabetics feeding this to children by parents who believe in the tradition of these Corn Flakes..

Can you believe it ,a few months later no more Corn Syrup in Kelloggs Corn Flakes.

All the Best

Thanks for looking out for us

Heck, I could care less what guitar Bensusan plays - I never even heard of him until this post. But I did give him a listen and then went back to BluesKing's post and will take John Lee Hooker's utterly primal and raw boogie over the technical wizardry of that guy any day of the week.

Two things I have learned over the past fifty years:

1) No matter what guitar I am playing I still sound like me

2) My guitars always sound better when played by somebody else

Thanks for giving it a listen : ) I really appreciate it.

Concerning the technical wizardry I hear him screwing up here and there(though i don't play that way I can tell)..but the amazing thing about this dude,like Eric Johnson..they just wing it. They just leap at stuff.

The in general tune is the same but they are not content playing it the same to not look bad or whatever.

They are real artists constantly trying to create.

And in all that is one great basic tune.

John Lee Hooker is like single fat meaningfull notes..I dig him.

I'm not understanding this "tone" question regarding that video recording. [unsure]

What I seeis an amazing guitarist playing a lovely acoustic guitar, but what I'm listening to is a guitar pickup that is compressed and then broadcast though YouTube. We should be finding out what pickup is in that "electric" guitar before we pass judgement on the quality of the acoustic.

Am I the only one that finds this music painfully boring ? I actually prefered the John Butler instrumental from the other thread, a bit of energy at least.

The is the sort of stuff you hear in waiting rooms and elevators, and most likely funerals.

Am I the only one that finds this music painfully boring ? I actually prefered the John Butler instrumental from the other thread, a bit of energy at least.

The is the sort of stuff you hear in waiting rooms and elevators, and most likely funerals.

no mate , you're not alone

I third that

I am sorry, but there is no way that a new Lowden can be compared to the "pre war 45 stuff" of either Martin or Gibson! Firstly Lowden uses completely different bracing systems, different body shapes, and largely different wood combinations. They are a different beast all together. Unless you mean the craftmanship involved, but even then George Lowden uses the odd CNC machine or two!

The tone of Lowden is rooted in Celtic/European styles of guitar music, which use a lot of altered tunings (Bensusan exclusively plays in DADGAD) and the bracing of those guitars reflect this. I have tried a couple of big bodied Lowdens, and also owned an Avalon D201 for a period of time, and they are great guitars, but just not my cup of Tea.

I have played and owned many an acoustic over the years, and those that work best for me personally are Gibson`s such as my well loved J-100 Xtra, or a Hummingbird, but I am all for diversity.

Steve.

I have played and owned many an acoustic over the years, and those that work best for me personally are Gibson`s such as my well loved J-100 Xtra, or a Hummingbird, but I am all for diversity.

Variety is the spice of life, in guitars as in almost everything else.......

That's why most of us have more than one guitar. In many cases, a lot more than one guitar!

My wife says this is all fine, as long as I take this "variety is the spice of life" approach to guitars, and guitars only. It's cheaper than divorce court.

I am sorry, but there is no way that a new Lowden can be compared to the "pre war 45 stuff" of either Martin or Gibson! Firstly Lowden uses completely different bracing systems, different body shapes, and largely different wood combinations. They are a different beast all together. Unless you mean the craftmanship involved, but even then George Lowden uses the odd CNC machine or two!

The tone of Lowden is rooted in Celtic/European styles of guitar music, which use a lot of altered tunings (Bensusan exclusively plays in DADGAD) and the bracing of those guitars reflect this. I have tried a couple of big bodied Lowdens, and also owned an Avalon D201 for a period of time, and they are great guitars, but just not my cup of Tea.

Steve.

Hi.

What I have in my mind is the 00/000 size Martin guitars which was the main size till D came around, his S & F are aprox to those... but foremost is the response of the things..which is where I aim the comparison.

The one I choose for him to make is very much like the 00/000.. A Standard F35 but in short scale(it is maybe the only one in this size, he was a bit reluctant to do it), Brazilian Rosewood Back & Sides...Best Adirondack top he could find,voiced for light touch & responsive with light strings..polished back & sides(not top).

For a change I was not disappointed..it was worth the savings and the D35 I bought in 82'. Another guy could play this rattly thing & not like it but it was adjusted to my playing.But I recommend anyone..whilst this dude is alive & his family are making these to this standard (since 2004)to try em.

When I spoke to Mr.Lowden at the very begining I said that the guitars reminded me of Medieval instruments..and he said exactly.

Definately a European Celtic tradition.

Here is a link to an Acoustic Guitar Magazine review of a Lowden guitar complete with a video:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=27518

P.S. I have 'dabbled' in some Celtic guitar, firstly from Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop, then some others, and I like it very much, but I guess I am just a sucker for any thing played well on an acoustic guitar!

The variety of acoustic guitar style is amazingly endless........a piece of wood and a few strings....

BluesKing777.

Here is a link to an Acoustic Guitar Magazine review of a Lowden guitar complete with a video:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=27518

P.S. I have 'dabbled' in some Celtic guitar, firstly from Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop, then some others, and I like it very much, but I guess I am just a sucker for any thing played well on an acoustic guitar!

The variety of acoustic guitar style is amazingly endless........a piece of wood and a few strings....

BluesKing777.

Thanks..

I happened to see this video earlier today by coincidence when I saw the workshop of Lowden in pictures a guy took on a visit (what a small operation.) Its a miracle they produce a good amount of guitars out of there.

The sound (on the video )of this Cedar topped guitar struck me as a little too polite and I prefered the other video where this same guy reviews the signature model with Honduras Rosewood & Ad.top.

I think using that tuning is like relearning the guitar.Good excuse to get one to specifically tune to that : )..someday.

Don't know if anyone noticed this strange annoying buzzing, ringing "noise" produced when playing the first string viewing this video from Acoustic Guitar Magazine ...had the same problem using a bone saddle on my SWD and replaced it with the original tusk.

This is another I've like by him which is when he was younger & a little more energetic(I like the other one more though) : ) . Song begins about 3:45 of post.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QXtnpotwW8s#!

This is another I've like by him which is when he was younger & a little more energetic(I like the other one more though) : ) . Song begins about 3:45 of post.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QXtnpotwW8s#!

Merseybeat, you really need to insert these as links for them to be user-friendly. Someone here should be able to tell you how.

They are just coming up as messge text, at least for me.

Merseybeat, you really need to insert these as links for them to be user-friendly. Someone here should be able to tell you how.

They are just coming up as messge text, at least for me.

He keeps missing the 'h' off the front of the URL...

Archived