Gibson Brands Forums

Using a TRS to XLR cable with SWD

MichaelR

Probably coming across as such an amatuer here, but I recently connected this cable from my SWD Standard straight to the board and, wow, what a huge difference in sound. Much cleaner and sweeter. I know Taylor owners need to use this cable with the expression system, but I thought it made a huge difference with my Fishman Aura Ellipse. If you haven't given it a try, highly recommended!

I dont get it, can you expand ...?

In place of using a guitar cable - 1/4 inch to 1/4 inch......use 1/4 inch to XLR (commonly scene on microphone cables)....and plug into the mic input....i found a huge difference....ready to go out and spend $50 on a high quality cable. Definite difference in sound quality in comparison

Right, welll I do something similar. I took my old SWD with a 1/4 into my Aura spectrum and then XLR out into the board. I imagine its a similar approach.

In place of using a guitar cable - 1/4 inch to 1/4 inch......use 1/4 inch to XLR (commonly scene on microphone cables)....and plug into the mic input....i found a huge difference....ready to go out and spend $50 on a high quality cable. Definite difference in sound quality in comparison

What you are likely hearing is an improvement in the cable, not just the connections. TRS or mic cable will have much less signal loss over longer runs than a normal guitar cable. The best results will likely come from the use of a good Direct box and quality cable are a must. It may cost a bit more for nicer cables but they often come with a warranty so they are well worth it.

TRS or mic cable will have much less signal loss over longer runs than a normal guitar cable.

Just to clarify..... as long as the TRS or mic cable is receiving a true 'balanced' (3 cond. ) signal.

As well as level difference, balanced signals/cables use all 3 pins 1=shield 2=hot 3=cold and because of this can take advantage of CMR ( Common Mode Rejection ) and allow long signal runs that will see less signal loss and are less susceptible to induced noise from RF/EMI etc....

Unbalanced use 2 , 1= cold 2=hot.

One can still plug a TRS (3 cond.) jack into a guitar that has an unbalanced ( 2 cond. ) output. The signal will still be carried on T and S , in this case the fact that it is a 3 cond cable will make no difference, and will still see typical un-balanced signal loss in long runs as well as being more susceptible to RF/EMI etc....

Archived