Gibson Brands Forums

Seymour PAFS or BBQs?

Pin

I am thinking of upgrading the PUPs on my EpiES345 and wonder what people might recommend?

My natural inclination would be to go for the Seymour PAFs but I have heard much good things about the BBQ pups. Of course, any option has to be 4 wire re the varitone.

Any thoughts?

I've never heard of BBQ pickups...I thought maybe you were talking about ribs, in which case I would have highly recommended the ribs ;)

Hah! I know what you mean Irish - I thought tasty ribs when I fist came across the name. But no, the maker is Rio Grande. Here is their website:

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Just my poinion, but the Seymours always sound good. I have actually put SD's (Fat Cat and Pearly Gates) in my Les Paul. My Heritage guitars both have '59's and they SING!

Hi there, just reading about your SD's in you Les Paul, I looked at the BBQ pups also recently but opted for Zebra SH4 and SH2 set for my sons G400 (the microscopic picture a couple of posts above) ,getting hard to find though. I was going to buy through pro guitar shop but they have been o/s for months now so found them on ebay at Macdaddy music. Should arrive in a couple of days, have also bought new CTS and Bournes pots (push pull),switch, jack and good orange drop caps plus high quality braided wiring.Will post pics when completed the project, its a Christmas surprise for him so just have to work out how to borrow the guitar for a few days just before Christmas,cant wait to hear how it sounds.

Hi there, just reading about your SD's in you Les Paul, I looked at the BBQ pups also recently but opted for Zebra SH4 and SH2 set for my sons G400 (the microscopic picture a couple of posts above) ,getting hard to find though. I was going to buy through pro guitar shop but they have been o/s for months now so found them on ebay at Macdaddy music. Should arrive in a couple of days, have also bought new CTS and Bournes pots (push pull),switch, jack and good orange drop caps plus high quality braided wiring.Will post pics when completed the project, its a Christmas surprise for him so just have to work out how to borrow the guitar for a few days just before Christmas,cant wait to hear how it sounds.

Sounds like a good plan! I bet it's going to be sweet.

This is a "stock" answer. Install what Gibson installs in their 345 guitar. If Epi already puts these in, excuse my ignorance. I just can't imagine a '345' without Gibson stock pickups. These guitars are designed and built for Standard music and Blues, Orchestra work, etc. I believe that a "PAF" Gibson or a very close facsimile, are all that would suit this guitar. Of course Ted Nugent broke the rules with his jumbo Gibson and it worked for him! Rednefceleb.

I wanted to add to a little more input on the BBQ pickups being installed on a 345 type guitar. These are listed as "Hot Texas Pickups"... I must advise that this is moving in an outrageous direction. (I did look up these pickups. They are made by "Rio Grande" pickup manufacturer).

Archived