Gibson Brands Forums

What is your favourite Fuzz pedal

FenderGuy1

My favorite fuzz pedal is......Depends on the day..........I'm collecting them, so............[thumbup] .....

I'm trusting the fuzz build I have coming up at some point by a member here will become a favorite.......A ToneBender clone, with extras built in.....

I've heard plenty of demos but haven't really played a lot of fuzz pedals. I guess my favorite is the Fuzz Face because you can hear it working, it's more than just a static fuzz with hair it's somewhat distortion too with just the right amount of crackle and it doesn't color your tone either. Zvex has good dark, meaty fuzz but doesn't have the character of the Fuzz Face. The Big Muff is too much like their distortion in my opinion. Tonebender's are too harsh, as I like newer fuzz pedals. :)

I have that BIg MUff Bill posted above and a Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz,

I have a Joe Bonamassa Fuzz coming my way but it is coming ground shipping and it was in San Francisco last time I checked, gonna be a while.

That's kinda like asking me what my favorite band is.. I couldn't really tell you because I love too much music.

But the fuzzes that I use the most are my Fuzz Factory and Big Muff, and I guess you could say those are my favorites.

I've had so many fuzzes though it's hard to pick. I love most fuzzes..

I bought my Big Muff Pi in 1970 and have been using it faithfully ever since,I've bought and/or used many others ever since but keep going back to the Muff - nothing I've tried yet can come close for doing authentic sounding Hendrix covers.

The Big Muff is not fuzz. It is a super distortion pedal.

My favorite fuzz pedal is the Fuzz Factory closely followed by the Yard Box and a Ge Fuzz Rite. Love and respect to any BC108 Si fuzz like the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face.

The Big Muff is not fuzz. It is a super distortion pedal.

My favorite fuzz pedal is the Fuzz Factory closely followed by the Yard Box and a Ge Fuzz Rite. Love and respect to any BC108 Si fuzz like the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face.

You are correct!

Here's how I can tell that a Muff ain't a fuzz box: Fuzz boxes are temperamental to many different things, including climate changes and their place in the chain and the other pedals that are in line with them.

The Muff is not. It's just a transistor-based distortion box that doesn't sound like pissed bees.

Well whatever the "technical" designation of the Muff is,I find that it's just the right effect for doing Hendrix covers.When I bought it back 40 years ago there wasn't a distinction made between fuzz and distortion pedals-they were all pretty well lumped together as "fuzz boxes"other than the distinction being some were "fuzzier" than others.Back at that time I bought a very rare Tim's Own Fuzzer Buzzer that would be called a fuzz these days but as the Muff was,it was called a fuzz too.I still have that pedal and it pretty well out fuzzes anything on the market these days and even back in the day they were as scarce as hen's teeth in these parts and were considered the Holy Grail of "fuzzes".If you have ever heard the song "You I " by the Rugbys,the fuzz in the intro sounds just like a Tim's Own.

That's the way it is with us old analogue guys I guess,old habits and terminology are very hard to break.

Well whatever the "technical" designation of the Muff is,I find that it's just the right effect for doing Hendrix covers.When I bought it back 40 years ago there wasn't a distinction made between fuzz and distortion pedals-they were all pretty well lumped together as "fuzz boxes"other than the distinction being some were "fuzzier" than others.Back at that time I bought a very rare Tim's Own Fuzzer Buzzer that would be called a fuzz these days but as the Muff was,it was called a fuzz too.I still have that pedal and it pretty well out fuzzes anything on the market these days and even back in the day they were as scarce as hen's teeth in these parts and were considered the Holy Grail of "fuzzes".If you have ever heard the song "You I " by the Rugbys,the fuzz in the intro sounds just like a Tim's Own.

That's the way it is with us old analogue guys I guess,old habits and terminology are very hard to break.

I believe the Rangemaster qualified as a "fuzz box" back in the day....

The Big Muff was and always will be a fuzz. If you make it sound like a distortion then you're doing it wrong.

How come every time I see some cat use one it sounds like Dinosaur Jr. or Pantera? Speaking of Dinosaur, you'd better show J Mascis how to use one. He's one of the worst offenders.

Have you heard the new J Mascis album? It's ******* awesome. It's definitely fuzzy, and definitely a lot of wanking, but I think it's pretty cool anyways.

I dunno what Pantera sounds like really, but the Big Muff wouldn't really be good for metal unless it's all sludgy because of its squishy attack. It's no good for palm muting which is one of the things that I think makes it a fuzz, but whateva

I use an Ultimate Octave pedal. It has Fuzz, Tone, and Volume knobs; as well as a Mid Cut toggle, and Octave Up switch, . 9V Standard DC, In. Metal Case, True Bypass. I got it new for $39.00. I think it's a very good pedal; especially for the price.

107-2.jpg

Archived